Boat accident. And a lot of oil

MonsterHunterMaster

Hello Mr. Ham. I'm not sure why you attached to the imaginative idea I had about the effects of removing oil from the earth. Most of our debate has been about matters that don't pertain the subject of the current oil disaster, and my concerns about the environmental effects thereof. In any case...

1. Science isn't about the pursuit, and acceptance of theories or ideas. It's about the pursuit of provable facts. Ideas and theories are simply a means to an ends.

2. If you choose to dismiss, or not research the facts from thousands of different scientists from across the entire the globe, and from various fields of science, then there's nothing I can do to shed light on the global epidemic that will eventually befall us. And the data I'm referring to extends far beyond climatologist. Marine biologist monitoring ice the arctic, report each year, on shrinking glaciers. Greenland, has lost more than 70 percent of its ice. Agriculture the world over is diminishing. Not to mentions the things we can clearly see. There is a gigantic garbage island floating in the Pacific, which is visible from space. There is oil in our gulf. The rate of asthma, and autism have increased tenfold within the past two decades. The list goes on and on...

3. Be mindful of the limits of renewable energy you say? I think we should be more mindful of the limits of fossil fuels. They will run out. This isn't a matter of "if". It's a matter of when. And when fossil fuels run out, humanity will have no choice but to do then, what people like me are now suggesting now.

4. The copper, tin, and aluminum you're so found of mining exist in finite amounts, like the oil. So again, I'll pose the same question now, that you avoided in two of my previous posts...what will we do, when we drain every once of oil, and every single fragment of tin, copper, etc.?

I think for individuals such as you, it's easier to defend your points of interest, because for now, you and I are living in the sweet spot. The effects of what we're doing to the earth probably won't take full effect in our lifetime. So it's easy to argue against global warming for instance, if the air is relatively clean. And for you, what does it really matter? If you're an American like I am, then you know we're a selfish nation. That translates to selfish individuals. People here, generally dismiss the problems of others. Most certainly don't care about the gulf spill. It's probably because we consume 30 percent of the world's resources. 300 million people, consuming 30 percent of the resources on a planet of nearly 8 billion. Oil is one of the worst offenders. So of course an American, or Brit, will say, "There is no better alternative." Because we're the ones reaping the befits of the global pillage. And most people agree with you, or don't care, because they have the ability to go online and read our comments, then form an opinion. About 6 billion people can't afford to go online and post their opinions even though they're being affected by our actions. Who are we really, to dictate to the majority, the effects of our actions on this planet? That's why it will continue until there's a war, or a global catastrophe.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This oil leak could be fixed by simply dropping a heavy object on the pipe to bend/crush it shut, kinda like taking a water hose and putting a kink in it, to stop the water from flowing. They could use submersible UAVs with cameras and GPS to help guide it. I dunno take a 50-100 ton plate of steel and drop on the pipe? Use a crane with enough cable to reach down that far, use the crane and the plate kinda like a hammer to beat the valve shut, lift, then drop, then lift and drop, etc, until its beat shut. The only thing that might cause problems would be the deep sea currents, in which I am unsure of. And even then you could figure out what those are and work with them and not against them. I say it would be worth a try at least, and more practical than some of the attempts they have already made to try and fix this.

Maintaining the integrity of the casing/pipe is absolutely essential. If the pipe bursts then the flow will be utterly uncontrollable and all the oil in the reserve will be able to escape unhindered.

Hello Mr. Ham. I'm not sure why you attached to the imaginative idea I had about the effects of removing oil from the earth. Most of our debate has been about matters that don't pertain the subject of the current oil disaster, and my concerns about the environmental effects thereof. In any case...

1. Science isn't about the pursuit, and acceptance of theories or ideas. It's about the pursuit of provable facts. Ideas and theories are simply a means to an ends.

2. If you choose to dismiss, or not research the facts from thousands of different scientists from across the entire the globe, and from various fields of science, then there's nothing I can do to shed light on the global epidemic that will eventually befall us. And the data I'm referring to extends far beyond climatologist. Marine biologist monitoring ice the arctic, report each year, on shrinking glaciers. Greenland, has lost more than 70 percent of its ice. Agriculture the world over is diminishing. Not to mentions the things we can clearly see. There is a gigantic garbage island floating in the Pacific, which is visible from space. There is oil in our gulf. The rate of asthma, and autism have increased tenfold within the past two decades. The list goes on and on...

3. Be mindful of the limits of renewable energy you say? I think we should be more mindful of the limits of fossil fuels. They will run out. This isn't a matter of "if". It's a matter of when. And when fossil fuels run out, humanity will have no choice but to do then, what people like me are now suggesting now.

4. The copper, tin, and aluminum you're so found of mining exist in finite amounts, like the oil. So again, I'll pose the same question now, that you avoided in two of my previous posts...what will we do, when we drain every once of oil, and every single fragment of tin, copper, etc.?

I think for individuals such as you, it's easier to defend your points of interest, because for now, you and I are living in the sweet spot. The effects of what we're doing to the earth probably won't take full effect in our lifetime. So it's easy to argue against global warming for instance, if the air is relatively clean. And for you, what does it really matter? If you're an American like I am, then you know we're a selfish nation. That translates to selfish individuals. People here, generally dismiss the problems of others. Most certainly don't care about the gulf spill. It's probably because we consume 30 percent of the world's resources. 300 million people, consuming 30 percent of the resources on a planet of nearly 8 billion. Oil is one of the worst offenders. So of course an American, or Brit, will say, "There is no better alternative." Because we're the ones reaping the befits of the global pillage. And most people agree with you, or don't care, because they have the ability to go online and read our comments, then form an opinion. About 6 billion people can't afford to go online and post their opinions even though they're being affected by our actions. Who are we really, to dictate to the majority, the effects of our actions on this planet? That's why it will continue until there's a war, or a global catastrophe.

Meh. 99.99% of every species that has ever lived has gone extinct, for our species it is merely a question when, not if. I could happen in 100 years, a or 10,000 but it doesn't matter.

The USA is an offender in many things but people don't want to change anything. Look how Americans sit in front of their televisions like zombie drones, indifferent to everything, the wars we fight, the occupations we engage in, etc. People only care if it affects them. I injured myself severely yesterday. People on the street saw me in agonising pain but just stared at me. No one cares.

There is a scene in the film Seven where Brad Pitt's character is talking to Morgan Freeman's character...well, maybe I can find it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snxgxpVyt6Y

"People want to eat cheeseburgers, play the lotto and watch television"

That pretty much sums it up. Everyone of us here is like this, we lose ourselves in the escapism of gaming. We don't care. Sure, it varies to degrees but in the end we're no different.

In any event, the earth has changed many times over in its 4.5 billions years and nothing that is happening now is very dramatic in light of that.

Just thought there had to be a lighter side to this fiasco, since the daily reports of the reality of the event are incredibly depressing.

WOW...this is hilarious...LOL...I'm showing everyone at school!

Yeah, and that's probably all-too-human. Remarkably, people love to watch trouble of all sort, today on TV, steadily followed by cracker-barrel spiel without ever being directly involved. That's the eternal circus phenomenon of the gaping crowd, always horny for terror against others elsewhere, no matter if a witch is burnt or an ex-leader is hanged, though once seized by the own collar nothing is left but the silence of the lambs. No backbone present when the fear comes close, but much faith in the success of an ostrich policy - the cup of wrath may pass by, preferentially to the neighbors of the Kingdom of Far Far Away ... alongside the Gulf Stream.

Yeah, and that's probably all-too-human. Remarkably, people love to watch trouble of all sort, today on TV, steadily followed by cracker-barrel spiel without ever being directly involved. That's the eternal circus phenomenon of the gaping crowd, always horny for terror against others elsewhere, no matter if a witch is burnt or an ex-leader is hanged, though once seized by the own collar nothing is left but the silence of the lambs. No backbone present when the fear comes close, but much faith in the success of an ostrich policy - the cup of wrath may pass by, preferentially to the neighbors of the Kingdom of Far Far Away ... alongside the Gulf Stream.

True. But to not laugh at the face of doom, would be all-too-animal. People love to watch all things, good and bad. And whether on T.V., or in the face of reality, every person is witness to the cycle of events that flow around us. But the terror Surenas...nobody escapes the terror of the oil spill, or the next big earthquake, etc., etc...each of our collars will be pulled by someone, or something, at sometime.

This oil affects us all directly...and anyone who has the ability to read my comment can consider themselves a contributor because that oil was spilled on our behalf. It was spilled to make our pc's, cell's phones, cups, and car components. It was spilled to make the things, that you and I desire and because our compulsion for things, the seas are being poisoned by our insatiable appetite for more things...Today marks the 61st day of the gulf oil spill. Many birds, and marine life have perished and many more will find their doom in the days to follow. The only way to stop the oil from spreading, is to stop the things from spreading...

This oil affects us all directly...and anyone who has the ability to read my comment can consider themselves a contributor because that oil was spilled on our behalf. It was spilled to make our pc's, cell's phones, cups, and car components. It was spilled to make the things, that you and I desire and because our compulsion for things, the seas are being poisoned by our insatiable appetite for more things...Today marks the 61st day of the gulf oil spill. Many birds, and marine life have perished and many more will find their doom in the days to follow. The only way to stop the oil from spreading, is to stop the things from spreading...

This is very wise words indeed. Looking into oneself and ones acts to find reasons. Wonder if BP does that?