Oblivion & Windows 7

Swatty123

I installed Oblivion like described in this article. http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=124

When I start oblivion, all the advertisements show up, for bethesta etc. After the long text with the license shows up, the screen gets black. (when I skip the ads with "esc" the oblivion loading screen pops up, but freezes, too when the load progress is complete.) The task manager says the program is running properly. My OS is Windows 7 ultimate 32 Bit. Oblivion already worked for my hardware with windows xp. I also tried the compatibility mode (I do not know whether this word is right or wrong because I do not use an English win 7, but I think you understand what I mean) for win xp sp2 and sp3 and also win 2000. I have not found anything on google which could help me.

On my current PC (Specs on my profile), I originally loaded Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and was able to get Oblivion working without a problem. I then re-loaded my PC with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and was still able to get Oblivion to work...hence a verification of that article I put together.

I would think that your problem revolves around your video card drivers rather than it being an OS issue.

LHammonds

So should I install a newer version (if avaible not checked, because windows updated my video drivers with auto update) of my video driver? (Atm searching for the oblivion.ini file but I formated my hdd before installing win7)

Okay, there was only one oblivion.ini file on my hdd. I saved it in a temp folder and then removed it. Did not solved my problem. Atm downloading newest driver from nvidea hp.

Still does not work after installing newest driver for my geforce 8800 gts 512

I'm running my Oblivion on Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) and an NVIDIA Geforce 9100 (standard on-board 256mb card). Your card has more video memory than mine, and mine works. Unless Oblivion is specifically incompatable with your card (which is impossible since your card was made after oblivion goty was), you should try running it in compatabilty mode for Windows Vista (try all sp's) if that doesn't work, then I don't know what will.

So should I install a newer version (if avaible not checked, because windows updated my video drivers with auto update) of my video driver?

For gaming, you should never rely on the version that Microsoft includes on WindowsUpdate. Typically, you download the chipset reference drivers for your video card. In this case, you would go to NVidia and download the drivers that match your card. GeForce --> Geforce 8 Series --> Windows 7 32-bit

(Atm searching for the oblivion.ini file but I formated my hdd before installing win7)

Okay, there was only one oblivion.ini file on my hdd. I saved it in a temp folder and then removed it. Did not solved my problem. Atm

I'm not surprised this did not help in this specific case. If you formatted your PC, it did not retain the old WinXP settings. However, it is a common practice to delete this file if you suspect graphics configuration issues. But going from older MS NVidia drivers to direct NVidia reference drivers, I'd probably just start Oblivion Launcher and re-configure the settings from there. I cannot remember but I think there is an auto-detect. If that does not work, manually set all the graphics options to the lowest settings possible (except resolution...keep that at your current display size) and see if the problem goes away. If this works, start turning up the graphics options one at a time (or however you'd like to test...some like to do a binary cut procedure of 1/2 at a time) and see what is being turned on that causes the problem.

Remember that you are running on a different version of DirectX so there may be features on your card that was not being utilized in WinXP that may be broken or just don't work right...who knows until you narrow down the problem.

downloading newest driver from nvidea hp.

Still does not work after installing newest driver for my geforce 8800 gts 512

As mentioned above, get the direct reference drivers instead of the HP flavor.

LHammonds

So I uninstallid Oblivion for the third time now. Also made sure, that nothing is left in temporary directorys, privat directorys and registry.

In this case, you would go to NVidia and download the drivers that match your card. GeForce --> Geforce 8 Series --> Windows 7 32-bit

Thats exactly what I have done after someone said it might be a driver problem.

I'm running my Oblivion on Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) and an NVIDIA Geforce 9100 (standard on-board 256mb card). Your card has more video memory than mine, and mine works. Unless Oblivion is specifically incompatable with your card (which is impossible since your card was made after oblivion goty was), you should try running it in compatabilty mode for Windows Vista (try all sp's) if that doesn't work, then I don't know what will.

I said Oblivion already run on my hardware, but with another operating system. Going to try Vista compatabilty mode after I reinstalled oblivion.

I cannot remember but I think there is an auto-detect. If that does not work, manually set all the graphics options to the lowest settings possible (except resolution...keep that at your current display size) and see if the problem goes away.

My hardware can handle Oblivion with highest settings and 1680*1050. Auto detect does not work. Already tried lowest settings. Did not work..

Remember that you are running on a different version of DirectX so there may be features on your card that was not being utilized in WinXP that may be broken or just don't work right...who knows until you narrow down the problem.

Direct X is downward compatible (again I do not know whether it is the right word. Should mean everything which works on dirext x 9 will also work on every higher direct x version.)

Ty for your tips. I will test all of them.

I installed Oblivion like described in this article. http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=124

When I start oblivion, all the advertisements show up, for bethesta etc. After the long text with the license shows up, the screen gets black. (when I skip the ads with "esc" the oblivion loading screen pops up, but freezes, too when the load progress is complete.) The task manager says the program is running properly. My OS is Windows 7 ultimate 32 Bit. Oblivion already worked for my hardware with windows xp. I also tried the compatibility mode (I do not know whether this word is right or wrong because I do not use an English win 7, but I think you understand what I mean) for win xp sp2 and sp3 and also win 2000. I have not found anything on google which could help me.

er mine did that on win7 too but i solved it by downloading all the latest patches and drivers. Sorry couldn't be more help but if you've done this it might indicate something wrong with the way you're installing maybe? Have you tried running Oblivion in admin mode?

Yes, and still does not work... Well I do not know anything I could do. I updated video drivers, used all compatibility modes, administrator mode, reinstalling...

The only think I could add that I use a no dvd image to run the game. But never had problems with that. As said I already played oblivion on another os. I do not have the dvd left... Only thing what I can do is to buy it again. But it would not be worth it if it does not run. (No dvd patch, no dvd image or no dvd fixed exe show all the same probs. And yes... I used them for the right version.)

I will uninstall my video driver now and then install the new one. Last time I just Installed the new one without uninstalling the old one.

I just searched on the official homepage. And found this.

Please Note: You will need to uninstall and reinstall Oblivion if you installed any of the Shivering Isles beta patches.
And I think I installd a beta patch. I will download all patched from official homepage now.. and then try again ..

Mh.. I was wrong .. the only thing I remembered was that a note popped up which says exactly the same -.-