What kind of PC should I get for Skyrim?

haiUnder

over 17GB textures, and gtx660 Ti 2GB, And it's almost enough

But it's just enough because of your 17GB textures 15GB are overwriting themselves so you have in fact a 2GB texture pack.

Ohh really? I have no idea that vanilla skyrim have 15GB, Thought it was 13 or even 12GB with all HR Texture pack, and of course all this 13GB is only textures BRAVO!

What's wrong with you? You say you have 17GB Textures. And I'm just saying that of these 17GB approximately 15GB will cover the same thing and exclude each other. When you're not able to understand that is this your problem.

The total vram usage of Skyrim is limited at 3.1 gig, any more than that gets filled up and your game will CTD.

Small sidenote for you:

Umm system memory is not the same as video memory just putting that out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyTDCCCYuZk

But I'm sure you'll find a way so that your statement is correct after all.

Edited by Novem99

Well what I would like to know what haiUnder means by a better gaming experience and what is the most important for him / her. If super high res textures are not important , or multi-monitor gaming is not important, 2gb VRAM could be enough for instance. Edited by bojanni

What's wrong with you? You say you have 17GB Textures. And I'm just saying that of these 17GB approximately 15GB will cover the same thing and exclude each other. When you're not able to understand that is this your problem.

Maybe What's wrong with you? How did you understand that the 15GB of textures overwrite each other since those 17GB ( I don't know how you can take into consideration approximately if I have 18 319 679 705 Bytes which is exactly 17GB, are you crazy?) since those 17GB cover the other things and do not exclude each other. Are you ***** or what? MY FOLDER TEXTURES in skyrim folder HAVE 17GB How you can't understand such simple thing.

Michal if you didn't read the first post don't claim you know what's in it.

Small sidenote some of you might be interested in:

The total vram usage of Skyrim is limited at 3.1 gig, any more than that gets filled up and your game will CTD.

3.1 gb limit not exist, it's incorrect measuring, real limit is 4 gb and in last official patch LAA work, binary already compiled to support large address aware mode. - message from ENBSeries (acc) from enb forum.

Edited by michal9o90

As an aside to this, 2 x GTX 970s in sli or a single GTX 980?

I've heard SLI doesn't always work for Skyrim?

The only thing which I found is on the main page of realvision mod.

"I have super blown out brightness as hell..."

Crossfire and SLI causes issues and problems with ENB, deactivate one card.

But on the other hand I didn't found anything on the ENB series forum which would have prohibited to use of SLI.

Message from Boris: http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1820

Yes, performance will increase, but it's matter only if you use effects like ssao, depth of field and other gpu hungry. Also to make it work properly you should change sli configuration or to try different game profile, otherwise mod simply not work or performance will be slower than on single card.

As an aside to this, 2 x GTX 970s in sli or a single GTX 980?

I've heard SLI doesn't always work for Skyrim?

As an aside, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/9

(980 matching or exceeding 780TI in Skyrim)

970 SLI will be the most favorable configuration type this year. It is also quiet powerful that I'm sure you can even downsample from 2160p to 1080P, that is like the best quality of image you can get.

You're gonna have some problems with it first, but once you achieve a good profile then you'll be very pleased. There is a lot of people getting SLIs or CFs just for K ENB. Meaning, it does work with ENBs.

Edited by Amyr

Umm harddrive GB is not the same as memory GB, just putting that out there. Having 100 gb worth of textures installed doesn't mean you need 100gb of memory. You're not loading all of those textures into your memory at once.

Anyways, running Skyrim on vanilla doesn't require anything but the system requirements for Skyrim.

If you want something that LASTS FOR YEARS however (that was pointed at you relinquish3d) you are looking at a much heavier price tag.

I'm going to recommend nvidia since the price for performance ratio with AMDs best machines has been drawn almost equal and because it's what I have most experience with.

You will want:

An i5 or i7 processor, anything from 2600+ will carry you a long way since most of the bottlenecking happens with GPUs.

At LEAST 8 gb of ram. Everything you do on your PC costs RAM, the more you have the more you can do.

A GPU with at LEAST 2g of VRAM, more VRAM means you can run higher texture quality and resolutions. Don't just look at the VRAM though, a lot of GPUs are very weak and yet they have 4GB of VRAM. GHZ is much more important, a GTX 700 series card should do fine, I reccomend the 780 Ti, it's the best card available right now and considerably cheaper than cards like the Titan Z which have ridiculous costs with no real FPS gain.

An SSD to run windows on and perhaps a few other key programs and a terrabyte sata disk for all of your games. Once a harddrive fills up it will get slower so having plenty of space is important.

A PSU of around 700 watts should be fine with most single GPU systems.

A LED monitor with good speed and resolution.

Thanks ill see if what you suggested fits my budget. For some reason my pc is really low end. An i3 with an intel 3000 and all that, and it seems to run Skyrim really well with full 2k texture packs, quest mods like falkskaar, city overhauls, etc. It doesnt look as good as it does on youtube, but that should be because of my pc. I still really find it odd though, something really low end and my game looks nice still with some frame drops from time to time but not that often.

Also I already have a nice monitor, its an Asus with 2ms response : )

Edited by haiUnder