Why do many Oblivion fans tend not to like Dragon Age?

SpellAndShield

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question, I'll answer from a Dragon Age hater perspective. When you have played games that have an incredible amount of freedom to move around, you tend to dislike games with invisible borders at every corner. When you've played games that allow you to swing your sword and cast spells in real time, you prefer those kinds of games. When you play games that allow you to modify it in its entirety -- that is to say landscapes, races, buildings, scripts, everything. -- you tend to stick with games like that.

Dragon age didn't appeal to me, it felt like KotOR II. I'm done with games that allow you to be skilless in order to win, like Dragon Age. It's heavily statistics, and little action. The choices are funny, and the characters are unique, but there is no freedom of movement. You're always chained to the main quest. I just can't get interested in a game with no landscape or exploration beyond the beaten path.

Once you become a slave of one of the best games in the known universe (In your own opinion, of course), you shun everything else. It's as simple as that.

exactly what he said, the lack of freedom just does not appeal to me...and well Oblivion is just awesome :biggrin:

But Oblivion has ZERO character development. The characters are like wooden puppets; always the same voice actors, etc...I hear you about the Freedom though...

But Oblivion has ZERO character development. The characters are like wooden puppets; always the same voice actors, etc...I hear you about the Freedom though...

This my friend is where those with Imagination get weeded out from those WITH imagination. Or you could crack open the CS, and make your own character development. That's the true beauty.

Another reason that they dont like it, is because of the fact that with Oblivion, its had years of mod development. It's also got a HUGE modding community that really knows the ins and outs of the game. While we do know a bit about DA, in comparison.... we're like 2nd graders to the HS grads.

Oh... and can we say... it actually WORKS most of the time? TESC is also considerably easier to use than toolset, tho it doesnt offer some of the features (if you can figure out how to use them in toolcrap).

Tho TBH, I liked Morrowind Elder Scrolls more than Oblivion :tongue:

Why do they like it more? They're spoiled. Plain and simple.

As a morrowind player, I could do anything that I wanted, anytime that I wanted. I could create just about any item or armor that I wanted. I could mod existing npc's or make new ones, very easily. I could make new houses for myself in a couple of days. Yeah, BloodMoon crashed my system like a angel, but I just got to where I wouldnt go there.

Wow, I can't even think of a substantial reason against Oblivion. As mentioned, with a little imagination and the CS, you can have as much story, depth, and character development as you can create within your knowledge. I did like that Dragon Age played statistically off of the D20 3.5 D&D (maybe 4th?) a little. But it was soooooo limiting. It reminded of NwN (1 & 2) in the fact that it played to some D&D standards, but had the limiting standards of the technology at the time (my imagination vs massive polygonal models=mine failing).

I was head over heals, when i heared about DA, sayed to myself "finally a fantasy that will be great", just to find out it was the usual boring dark middle age game, dragons,dwarfs and other vermin that was here milion times - waw how fantasy-like, it just didnt had the feeling of fantasy for me,good i played it at a friends place before buying it. It might had a good story but the gameplay didnt appealed to me at all, i became bored of the ever repetitive game-style/play of Bioware, i was allways dreaming of a fantasy game with open world, good story, aesthetic feeling of the japanese/koreans, great game mechanics etc. Oblivion was the closest one exept the aesthetic feeling and game mechanics, it will probably stay that way for the time being.

I got off to a slow start with Dragon Age, eventually putting it down for a while and playing other games. I then picked it back up and got quite into it.