Why do many Oblivion fans tend not to like Dragon Age?

SpellAndShield

But Oblivion has ZERO character development. The characters are like wooden puppets; always the same voice actors, etc...I hear you about the Freedom though...

This my friend is where those with Imagination get weeded out from those WITH imagination. Or you could crack open the CS, and make your own character development. That's the true beauty.

yes, yes, exactly! :smile: Kudos

I'd rather let my imagination fly then have set choices of what to say to people. That's why I make my story in Imageshare :yes:

Who cares if the NPCs are a little bland? I could imagine what type of game Oblivion would be if they spent more time on voice acting.... I like it, but I grew up in the day before voices in video games :tongue:, and that doesn't make the game. That's why I didn't like Mass Effect...I just felt like I was playing a high budget movie. It had great voice acting, but the combat was horrible and the side quests were just lame...It's like they spent nearly their entire budget on writing and voice acting and did nothing with the mechanics of the game...$20 wasted...now sitting in the "Drawer of Crap" with Gothic 3 and the case for Fallout 3...the CD became one with the highway last year :verymad:

The Witcher was the only game that I liked that was linear...I was going to try Risen...but yeah...after Gothic 3 I won't be getting a game by Piranha Bytes anytime soon :tongue:

I wouldn't buy DA even if it was good, I just hate EA...they lucky I bought Mass Effect :tongue:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can wear my Crusader armor from Knights of the Nine in the Shivering Isles Expansion without any mods at all.I do not see a big advertisement or even a quest marker in Oblivion for any DLC. P.S Azura is a good daedra in both Oblivion and Morrowind and Helseth is still ruthless. Arland Howes Grandfather was a "bad person" in da lore.Yet the advertisement for the expansion clearly states that his capitol was a seat of rebellion against the occupation-no consistency in lore in DA.

I was also pretty dissapointed with DA, it could have been awesome, (should have been awesome) but it made me just want to get back to Tamriel for the same reasons as others have stated, and that camera was a pain.

Totally agree with Trandoshan & Illiad about having imagination, when I play Oblivion, I'm not sat in front of a screen with a keyboard and mouse, I'm in Tamriel.

Just hope that if & when TES 5 comes out, it aint been ruined by Beth trying to please everyone that picked fault with Oblivion.

The others have already said it quite well - Morrowind and Oblivion have spoiled us, giving us tons of control over basically everything. Since text games, rpgs have progressively given us more and more freedom over the game. In that aspect, Dragon Age simply feels like a huge step backwards to a style of game we haven't seen since the PS2. Technically, DA is probably just an RPG subgenre, but it's not a subgenre freedom-loving rpg players like anymore.

That, and a lot of us don't like corporate giants like EA driving the passion out of game development for money, and prefer to support relatively small but amazing developers like Bethesda instead.

I will probably be quite odd here. I played Dragon Age before Oblivion (I had not upgraded my PC in 10 years, so I missed a lot of games).

I found Dragon Age: Origins to be a really disappointing game. The DLC (especially how Watcher's Keep advertising was integrated) rubbed me the wrong way, I found the game quite limiting and did not like how it tried (and failed) to be `pseudo-open', and felt the core game system was too immature. Perhaps most importantly, for a game that had the very core drive based around story and character development, I found the plot to be mostly quite ordinary and the characters all very poorly designed. I hated Dragon Age! On suggestion from other gamers, I looked into some of the RPGs I missed in that time. I briefly flirted with Drakensang, which I liked the core of but found the dialogue painful to read (I assume it was a poor translation), and only VERY briefly played The Witcher (definitely *not* my kind of game) before trialling Oblivion. With all the mods I run, clearly I do not consider it a perfect game, but it felt to be a really solid base, and I have been able to shape it into what is *my* perfect game.

Trying to remember back to the morrowind days, I think that part of it for me, is how much the classes differ. With TES, it wasnt so much about your class dictating which skills you "could" learn. You were pretty much free to take any skills that you wanted. Hence the reason why I love "all can learn" so much.

Granted, I know that this makes it more of a challenge, and enjoyment, balancing out your team, with the skillsets that they each get.

However, I also play with no autolevel, and after playing as a solo player, I tend to try to hog the kills.

Because for me, the way that I build my toons, I dont need the other guys there a lot of the time.

For me tho, DA's saving grace was it's intrigue. There was just SOOOO much about the story and the characters that you could just sit and wonder about. Or get caught up in. Like our discussions about Morrigan/Flemeth. or Loghain. Or Alistair. There were VERY few characters or plots in TES that had the kind of depth that DA does.

I mean, for me, TES had NO characters that I loved. Or hated. Or just wanted to outright murder repeatedly.

I LOVE some of the boss fights in DA. I have nemeisis characters that I truly despise. And I have favorites that I would very sorely miss, if they weren't around.

For me, a perfect game, would be the expanability of Morrowind/Oblivion, combined with the heroes and graphics and classes of Guild Wars, with the depth, romances, and characters and histories of Dragon Age, with some Ultima Online housing animal taming, and Barding, thrown in. And then make it easy to LAN/WAN party. Be able to play alongside the family, or with/against friends. Forget the whole MMO bit, as thats just too addictive, but yeah... that for ME would be the perfect game.

One thing that I will really say AGAINST DA tho, that has just driven me up the wall. General areas where critters REspawn. Ya know... just a big area of woods, or a cave, or a plain (tho thats kinda boring) where you can walk in ANYTIME and just hackNslash.

The combat was really fun, I thought. I enjoyed some of the delicious sequences where my Warrior would kill a Dragon or a huge Troll. But the characters themselves lacked quite a bit of depth and I just didn't find the story that appealing. Lack of freedom too, obviously, as other people mentioned.

cause dragon age sucks...

it has a great story and nice characters, much better than oblivion, however, its graphics, freedom of choice, modability and long time fun are so medicore i played it for a few days and will prolly never touch it again