Why do many Oblivion fans tend not to like Dragon Age?

SpellAndShield

I liked DA well enough to complete a play through, I even liked it well enough to buy the awakenings exspansion and yes I do intend to buy any future exspansion plus DA2. I do not however like it well enough to play the same story line over and over and over to the point that it becomes mind numbingly boring like so many zombies do.

What I hated about DA was the constant immersion breakers, salesmen in camp and forced fast travel that killed any enjoyment that I could have found in role playing that game. I hated that once you completed the main quest that was it you are done, game over, no more role playing for you.

I hated the entirely to small world space that prevents any serious mod development, after all no one wants to spend a year or more developing a 15 to 20 hour quest that introdoces new areas ect. only to see it thrown to the wayside by a cheap and cheasy Bioware DLC that only introduces yet another armor retexture with a 10 minuit bug infested dungeon crawl in an area that conflicts with your mod.

I hated that Bioware stiffled mod development by not including import / export features with the toolset. Despite Biowares claims to the contrary I personaly believe this was done with intent to hold back the modding community while at same time being able to fiegn support for it.

What I love about Oblivion is that my character truly is my own, the game is my own to play as I see fit. I do not play Oblivion for its main quest line nor even its vanilla side quests. I play for my own fully immersed role playing enjoyment, each and every single character that I have created has thier own unique story in the world of tamriel.

This being the case I may visit ferelden but I will never move to such an inhospitable world.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it at a friend's house. Hated constantly getting stuck on an invisible wall where you can't just jump over the small rock in front of you.

Also, the point where I got to, I didn't see any free-play stuff in there. It seemed like I was getting dragged helplessly along with the main quest and had to complete side-quests as I went. And I really don't like getting dragged along by a game.

I don't know...maybe because it is not Oblivion. :confused:

Just this morning, a buddy at work stood at my desk for 45 minutes talking about how much of an awesome time he is having with DA (for the 360). He described playing as a rogue assassin for the 1st 15 hours and was jealous of the mage powers characters in his team was wielding. He started over and is a level 10 mage and described in great detail how he has developed fire and ice powers and how some quests that were painfully difficult as a rogue was easy as a mage.

This is also from a gamer that played Oblivion but moved onto other games like WoW and City of Heros/Villians and loves to build characters and has spreadsheets to design specific-powered heroes that will do very well in the game.

I however simply don't have the time to play DA so I never bought it. I've played just a little bit of it on family members computer but that is about less than 60 minutes with the game overall.

It seems like an interesting game but it simply did not captivate me like Oblivion has done. Same with Fallout 3...it had some really cool things to do and kept me interested long enough to finish the main quest but that was about it.

Nothing against those other games though...I just like swords and armor and the time period surrounding it. Combat is very personal and up-close as opposed to game with guns, missiles, robots and nukes.

LHammonds

This is also from a gamer that played Oblivion but moved onto other games like WoW and City of Heros/Villians and loves to build characters and has spreadsheets to design specific-powered heroes that will do very well in the game.

Man, if you have the time for WoW, you have time for anything. At least, if you play it like a normal person playing it does (Read, someone comes home, logs on, and doesn't turn it off until he falls asleep at the keyboard).

Mostly the type of gameplay for me, a forced path and type of combat were two things I despised. The story was good though, so were the characters...those two things kept me playing it.

Man, if you have the time for WoW, you have time for anything. At least, if you play it like a normal person playing it does (Read, someone comes home, logs on, and doesn't turn it off until he falls asleep at the keyboard).

Don't confuse me who is lacking in free time with the co-worker I was talking about who has nothing but free time. :thumbsup:

The main reason I didn't like DA was because at the time of me playing it I was getting tired of the vanilla Oblivion (I played it on the 360 at the time) and I was looking for another game like Oblivion. I thought DA would be that game, but I was very wrong. I just hated the combat system and lack of immersion too. Honestly, I think it was more entertaining as a machinima or movie than as a game.

Wow, I hadn't played the game in so long that I forgot it's not free roam. I couldn't comprehend that. Did they have development time cut or something? If I'm going to enjoy a game, free roam is a must have. Zelda has more free roam, not saying it's a bad game. The class and skill limitation was a hassle and there were obvious advantages to playing a mage over other classes ( I should know, my spell blade rarely ever took damage and his own damage output was far better than his companions). I tried the other two classes.http://thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/Dark/down.gif

I did not like dragon age because of its total lack of freedom but also because even the limited places that you visited in the game either cities or forests or whatever, were completetly dead. the world feels like a pre-rendered screen where all the characters would stand there not doing anything at all during the entire game, i mean even in morrowind some of the characters were at least walking. Also the fact that you are always playing the game during the day and suddenly when you decide to set up camp its night all of a sudden completely ruins the immersion factor and also shows how little effort the developers made to make the world of dragon age a living world.

A game like dragon age which has everything in it completely fixed with no choice allowed for the player, makes it less of an RPG in my opinion.

i paid the full price for DAO and regreted of doing so.

Why i dont like it is simple.

Graphics werent ground breaking, no free roaming, i couldnt get to shape shift in a dragon (nwn ftw!), i could jump over those annoying trunks and rocks.

But what made me dislike it even more is the lack of back bone in our character, jesus. You dont get to hear his voice when you talk, unlike the witcher, which was heavily based on the character.

I think that DAO was all about the violence and the romance, rashly put.