3ds max crash on nif export

simkas

I've got a clothing model that I want to use in Fallout 3, but when I export it using 3ds max 8 with the .nif plugins, 3ds max just crashes before it manages to export anything. The model itself is really basic, I just imported one type of armour, deleted some stuff, imported another one over that, moved some vertexes around and that's all. But max just crashes when exporting. I don't really know what settings am I supposed to use when exporting, so are there some specific things I need to select to make it export properly or did I mess up somewhere?

the dismember modifier will crash on export if its not set up correctly. perhaps it's that?

you're doing something wrong. with that little info, I cannot tell you anything without speculating what state your scene is in as you export.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/imageshare/images/209926-1274905546.jpg

those are my export setting for rigged meshes

Well, I didn't really do anything to the modifier, I only edited some things on the mesh, didn't even touch the dismember modifier. Could you maybe tell me what's the right way it should work and be set up, so I can like check it or something?

Just delete the dismemberment modifier and then try exporting... if it works then its that.

you can just comback and set it up from scratch. it's a piece of cake, actually takes minutes to set up once you know what to do. but might take you a bit longer to get head round it at first.

go onto the niftools website, there is a very quick overview of how to use the modifier. It's just a case of making face selections on the different partitions.

Uh, I have another problem. When I was doing stuff with the model, I applied the body texture in .tga format (3ds max refuses to take .dds files for some reason, even with the right plugin) on the part of the model that's the bare body and now, in-game, that part only uses the basic body texture, without any skin changes or anything that I assume the game does. Was I not supposed to have any textures applied on the model when exporting?

it won't won't let you drag and drop a dds into the material editor? weird. what about if you import a nif? is there a material/ texture on it?

anyway you did that right. you need a material with something in the diffuse slot on your mesh for correct export.

However, the max standard materials have no idea what bethesda shaders are, and even the niftools material doesn't have options to enable particular shaders...

basically you'll have have to enable the skin shader post export. it's actually named sf_window_environment map or something oddlike that, just double check the exact ones you need to enable by looking at the vanilla bodys shader setup. block details of the BSShaderPPLightingProperty.