Borderlands

eLucifer

For me, I need general tips. I got a level 15 soldier, but I still find it hard to fight without the car(you know what I mean). Should I put my character build here so you have a better idea? Oh and, I also have problem looting, because everythime I find a new weapons' cache, I have to hurry to the nearest(aka the far side of the map) to sell the unnecessary ones(which I decide after looking at every weapon's stats for 10 minutes) to make room for new ones.

• 4 weeks later...
Bumping this thread. I am now level 61. Anyone wanna play? Add Slovier as a friend to your PC copy of Borderlands.

• 3 months later...

Yes, I talked to an admin before bringing this thread back to life, so it's not thread necromancy!

I would like this thread to become the new Borderlands discussion on the Nexus Forums, everything from asking questions and getting answers, to user reviews of the game and DLCs, talking about strategy, just relaying funny things you've seen in the game -- basically everything Borderlands, so we can keep it all together.

There's a new DLC out, as anyone who is still playing Borderlands probably knows. I don't have it, yet, but it's at the top of my "must buy" list. It is available for purchase at the Gearbox Software Store and sells for $9.99. This could be the last DLC for Borderlands. Is it the best? That remains yet to be seen. I did a bit of research before I decided I'll buy this one, in spite of the fact that it uses that abomination, SecuROM, as an anti-piracy feature, but, hey ... I play Oblivion, too, and it uses SecuROM, as well. I just think they could have gone with something a bit less invasive of the operating system, since SecuROM has known issues, including things like rendering legitimate games unplayable and even causing crashes of the OS. So far, I've experienced none of this. I can only cross my fingers ... and my toes ... and hope.

So, yes ... I have a "review" of sorts -- my thoughts on "Robolution", based upon a little reading and a few glimpses at various points in a walkthrough video. I hate seeing walkthroughs before I play a game and don't use them. I'll watch them after I've beaten a game, just because I find some of them so entertaining, but I really like to solve the puzzles by myself. In this case, though, I was very curious where Gearbox went with "Robolution" after utterly ignoring the protests of users with regard to some issues in "Zombie Island" and "Knoxx". What follows is a C/P of a review I posted on another site. No sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Now, my initial thoughts about DLC4

1. Gear blew it! I'm sure everyone is already familiar with my rants regarding the incessant and unnecessary traveling in "The Secret Armory of General Knoxx" (DLC3). I also complained about this very same thing in DLC1 ("The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned"). They did it again, even after a blitz of user invective about the lack of fast travel in DLC1 and DLC3. If this is any indication of where they're going with future DLCs, basically ignoring the ways in which they're annoying their user base, then this does not bode well for the future. As far as I know, there are no fast travel points in DLC4 and you're going to find yourself criss-crossing over the same territory, on foot, just as with DLC1. You don't even have a vehicle, this time, not that I actually saw any place where a vehicle might have been useful, but I didn't want to spoil the whole game for me by watching an entire walkthrough.

2. Gear blew it! Oh, did I already say that? Well, in spite of the complaints of users (and my ranting), they continued on with the repetitive "collectathon" mentality of DLC1 (collecting zombie brains for Zombie T.K. Baha) and DLC3 (collecting power cores for Marcus Kincaid), by bringing back everyone's favorite <technical term for female dog -- the censorbot flagged this one!>, Patricia Tannis. You get to collect claptrap parts for her, and true to the program of DLC1 you get a number of missions with increasingly large numbers of such parts to collect. Just tell me at the outset that I need a gazillion of something and I'll keep my eyes open, but don't keep sending me back over and over again, after I think I'm done collecting stuff, to collect yet more of the same stuff by doing the same blasted thing over and over until I just want to throw up. I did it once with Zombie brains. I won't do that mission again. I did it once with power cores. I probably won't do that mission again, either, although it's ameliorated a bit by the fact that you don't have to get critical head shots on soldiers to get the cores. I'll probably do it once for dear Patricia, but after that, she's a non-issue in further playthroughs in this DLC. I don't know about this one, but the "rewards" for completing the other two collectathons simply aren't worth the time and effort to do them.

3. OK, two strikes. Three strikes and you're out, Gear. Fortunately, from what little I know so far, I won't have any additional major beefs with this game. Unlike in DLC3, the walking seems to take you through interesting areas where there's actually something to do, rather than just being long stretches of mostly nothing, clearly designed to just make the DLC play for a longer period of time. I still suspect that's why we don't have fast travel in this one, and I think it's a cop-out, but in DLC4 we seem to have a rich, enemy-infested environment where at every turn you'll find something to do. For that, it gets a thumbs up for me.

4. Pizza? I saw the guy in the walkthrough pick up a piece of pizza as "loot". Now that, alone is reason enough to get this DLC, if only to find out what the heck you can do with pizza in Borderlands. Pink Panties? That's collectible loot, too? Maybe I don't even want to know. I think I'll get this one. It looks fun.

Pizza, 3-D glasses, fish, underpants, and moustaches are all just items for the collect missions.

Rare? not really. It's just gearbox trying to strip some of the monotony away by making the items less samey.

And the rewards for those missions are non existant. When you finaly finish the last one(nearly one thousand robot bits later) you get a white level SMG with rubbishy stats.

-------------

Strike two: DLC 4 is incredibly short, I finished it in three hours, making it about the same length as ODST.

Aside from collecting 755 robot parts for tannis, it has virtualy no side quests. It's a got a three mission long collect-and-activate errand run, a single bounty mission, and that's really about it. :(

--------------

Strike three: The loot is nothing new. You'll find nothing here that wasnt in previous DLCs, most of the loot is from vanilla, but it also very very rarely adds mid spec knoxx gear.

--------------

Strike four: No challenging moments, all the enemies are far from punishingly hard. The worst fight is against Dr Ned, and that's just because you dont get any cover, a Defiler will sort him out.

-------------

Strike Five, you're out!: And finaly, no new bosses whatsoever; claptraps are the only new creature you'll find, Hyperions are re-skinned lance with identicle stats, behavior, equipment, and weaknesses. The bosses are simply re-used from previous DLCs. It's really quite disapointing also that despite being promised a fight with Claptrap itself, that never happens.

That's right. I've finished the whole thing and claptrap doesnt actualy appear as a fightable boss, he's just a melee claptrap like any other, one good shot an he's toast. I didnt even realise I'd killed him until I stumbled upon his twisted wreck while combing the battlefield for loot and pilliage.

And you ran through this with what character and on which playthrough, Vindekarr? I think a lot of people will be going into this DLC with high-level characters decked out in the very best weapons, shields, and mods the game can offer up, through the Knoxx DLC. From what I've understood, a character that can survive Knoxx will find very little challenge in Robolution on PT1. According to Gear, Robolution was designed as a stand-alone DLC, that could be played without leveling up through the previous three, although I doubt it could be done with a new character.

Once I install Borderlands on my new computer (which I don't have, yet), I'll be getting Robolution and will likely try it first with my level 48 Siren on PT1 and then on PT2 to make a comparison. If it seems too easy, even on PT2, then I'll try an earlier incarnation of her (I think I have some older gamesaves on my backup drive). What I do know is that in the walkthrough I sampled the player complained that it seemed too easy and then switched to PT2. After that he claimed it was challenging and he was actually having fun, although he further complained about the repetitiveness of the Tannis mission.

Your strike 2

• This may or may not be an issue. Some people breeze through games incredibly quickly. Remember the "No Stones Unturned" achievement in Borderlands? That's the way I play games. I call it the "Half-Life" mentality, because I learned it while playing HL2, and I find it served me quite well in Borderlands and Oblivion, as well. This, for me, makes something that most people will say takes an hour take two or three times that long for me. Let's face it -- in Borderlands I spend a lot of time locating and looting new equipment and I meticulously compare and contrast to make sure I've got the best that I can get. I know a lot of people don't do that, though. Also, I play the game more cautiously than I've seen other people do, and that, too, tends to extend the duration of the game.

That said, given a high-enough level character I can just run roughshod through most Borderlands missions, anyway, so I've been there, too. My current level 48 Siren could probably do the entire main game in just a few hours on PT1, although I've never actually tried that. When you can fell Skagzilla in just a few shots there really aren't many significant challenges in the game. It's all about level, I think -- that and equipment. The only boss in the game I haven't defeated (keep in mind I haven't played Underdome, yet) is Crawmerax, and that's because I haven't tackled him, yet, since I know I'm going to fail miserably in that mission with a lone Siren. Yes, the Destroyer gave me fits and I finally beat him on what amounts to a glitch that I haven't been able to replicate, but a lot of that could be that the Vault lags my computer to a slide-show, making it pretty difficult to aim and shoot. Nothing else in Borderlands, Zed or Knoxx presents much of a difficulty (except for the lag factor in some areas like the Crimson Fastness and Sledge's Safehouse) on PT1. PT2 can still be challenging, especially if I don't use my best gear all the time.

Your strike 3

• You could be right about no new loot, but in the walkthrough I noticed some items that I'd never heard of, before, and I'm quite familiar with most everything the main game has to offer since I'm pretty fluent in Willow Tree. On the other hand, the Armory lags my computer so badly that I've never been able to access all the chests without falling through to the bottom level, which is basically Game Over, when you're trying to loot it, so I probably haven't seen all that Knoxx has to offer. Still, like I said, above, Gearbox intended this DLC to be run without having to experience the other DLCs, so handing out any supergear could spoil the playing experience in the others for some players. I certainly agree, though. Having nothing at all new and exciting to acquire would be a bit of a disappointment.

Your strike 4

• Already addressed, above, actually. Perhaps you just went in with a high-level character too over-powered for the DLC, or did it on PT1 with a mid-level character -- both of which are likely to result in an underwhelming playing experience from what I've read. Try it with a character who can't one-shot the bosses in the Arid Badlands and see if that makes the DLC more interesting.

Your strike 5

• I don't think you've seen anything at all like the MINAC. In my book, that classifies as a "new boss". From what I've been reading people do have trouble dealing with both MINAC and INAC. They aren't pushovers unless you tackle them with high-level well-outfitted characters, but you could say that for virtually any boss in Borderlands or its other DLCs, as well. It's like stepping out of the Imperial Prison sewers in Oblivion, cheating your way to max stats and levels, giving yourself the cheat chest in the Testing Hall and a 100% Chameleon ring, and setting God Mode, and then complaining that Oblivion isn't any fun. In Borderlands only slight differences in level can mean the difference between quick success and quick death. I discovered this through a number of aborted attempts to play the game early on, before I had developed a real character evolution strategy.

All said and done, though, you've played Robolution and I haven't. All I know is what I've read or seen in a few bits and pieces of videos. Yes, it would seem that there are only two quest lines -- the MQ and Tannis' collectathon. That much disappoints me very much. I was actually expecting something much more like Zed or Knoxx with lots of little side-quests, but, perhaps players just haven't discovered them all. It took me a long time to find Thirsty the Midget, or that guy whose house was being overgrown with plants (can't remember the exact name of the quest, offhand). Then there's the dev chest that I discovered by accident while trying to get away from some crazy spider ants, only to discover after a little research that it was well-known among the playing community -- but at some point nobody knew it was there, right? Perhaps there are still little gems to be found in Robolution if people just happen to look in the right places.

Hmmm you haven't Seen the ALLLL impossible Crowmerax in General Knoxx have you, its literally Impossible to beat. Its level 64 :teehee:

You may need a party of 4 none cheating players to beat it..

The Mission You. Will. Die.

lol It kind of reminded me of Diablo at first.

My character was level 65, absolute top of the range gear, no shield.

And before you yell "wtf, NO SHIELDZ?!" yes, no shields. I like it that way, it keeps me alert.

And besides, Borderlands mobs cant shoot if their lives depended on it. Going shieldless in Halo Reach would be about as safe as streaking at an anti gay riot. Going shieldless in Borderlands would be like a particularly badass soldier taking off their helmet and bullet proof vest just to prove they were the most badass.

It's very doable, you'll need a shield for upper level bosses, but normaly I can just DPS-bulldoze through mobs even without a shield. And when you beat a player in a duel without even powering shields, not many other acts can outdo that for causing nerdrage in your opponent and "run, he's unkillable!" moments in the spectators.

Double Anarchy + No Shield + SMG class mod + L33t uberskillz = Winning duels with shield = You feel like a gaming god.

The trick is to use every advantage available to you. WIth NPCs, use their limited range to eliminate them with the element of surprise. With players, make them angry, make them hate you, make them go nuts, by doing so, they'll probably miss more than they'll hit.

Fighting shieldless is completely possible if you use every advantage possible. Cover, Height, Speed, Accuracy, Supression, And DOTS. LOTSA FRIKKIN' DOTS!