Reports of malicious ads

Dark0ne

I just got the following information from my computer at work and then later on in the evening at home (popped up on Microsoft Security Essentials) An add with a little goblin face on it was the one I saw when it happened this last time, didn't note the first time.

----------------------------

Category: Exploit

Description: This program is dangerous and exploits the computer on which it is run.

Recommendation: Remove this software immediately.

Microsoft Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the 'Allow' action and click 'Apply actions'. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the local administrator for help.

Items:

containerfile:C:\Documents and Settings\Rayek\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RJ7W6R6M\Droga5_PowerGiG_728x90_v2[1].js

file:C:\Documents and Settings\Rayek\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RJ7W6R6M\Droga5_PowerGiG_728x90_v2[1].js->(IframeRefI)

----------------------------

Have to admit I'm a little concerned...

Hope that helps.

I personally haven't had any problem with ads as I have an add-on that disables unverified flash boxes.

I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to post a link to it, but there's an add-on for Google Chrome users and I've heard of one for Firefox users that completely blocks (they can't even load/initialize without you verifying that they can) unverified flash ads which may be useful for any user of the two. It's the first thing that came to mind when I read that ads may be causing the problem, just an extra precaution for people like me that don't enjoy ads.

Hope this helps some.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just started getting my AVG giving warnings about

Accessed File is Infected - Threat was blocked!

File name: 212.117.168.89/js/

Threat name: Exploit Skype Extras Manager (type 1304)

gives a link to AVG for more info but none is there when I type in the threat name.

I get this bringing up Oblivion file pages with Opera and Firefox.

I am guessing it is one of the ads.

I don't even have Skype so don't know what this is about.

got this a couple days ago - same thing that rayek ended up with.

microsoft security essentials for the win. =D

Category: Exploit

Description: This program is dangerous and exploits the computer on which it is run.

Recommendation: Remove this software immediately.

Microsoft Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the 'Allow' action and click 'Apply actions'. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the local administrator for help.

needless to say, the computer was cleaned the moment i saw the virus. second exploit tesnexus gave me, i believe.