Reports of malicious ads

Dark0ne

I've been receiving reports of another malicious ad on the adserver that is causing people to get directed away from the site with an attempt to install malware on their systems.

First of all can people confirm or deny this?

If people confirm it I can go on to stage two, which is systematically removing each ad agency I use until I find the culprit and blocking them until they resolve it.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

They seem to have disappeared lately...

But about a few weeks ago I was regularly redirected to the same site that shows a windows xp screen (I am on W7) saying I have virus' and I must download their software... But that stopped, so far everything is fine. But I will report if anything crops up.

ALSO while wandering through the nexus my security software does say a keylogger and spyware have been detected and blocked but foolishly I just ignore it and be oblivious to it. But next time rest assured I will tell you if it happens again. This happens on rare occasions though.

I've been receiving reports of another malicious ad on the adserver that is causing people to get directed away from the site with an attempt to install malware on their systems.

If people confirm it I can go on to stage two, which is systematically removing each ad agency I use until I find the culprit and blocking them until they resolve it.

I was getting several attempts a day. The vscan7 attempt, and a few others that made Norton "crash" my explorer to desktop with a warning. I found a couple of Trojans as well, but I dont believe they came from nexus. I posted those on the 5th in this thread http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=199767&st=30. I haven't seen another attack since the 5th though.

No, haven't had any suspicious activity. I'm on XP use Firefox and my anti spy/virus etc ware is Avast .

If that's any help.

"I'm on XP use Firefox and my anti spy/virus etc ware is Avast."

That's my setup, but I still got a nasty ad-served trojan a month or so ago, though not from this site.

Avast is good, and often stops compromised websites, but isn't infallible, and the really bad ones screw up Avast. There's good advice on the Major Geeks website on how to detect & kill malware. I'm fairly sure it's been posted somewhere else on this site, but it will do no harm to put the link up again:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

If you do nothing else, download & run the free Malwarebytes program:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

This is where it gets complicated - because I'm on a client's server and he's running nginx (essentially apache rewritten by some crazy Russian to be lean so I'm told) which I've never used before. So - I don't know exactly if these packages are needed here as a result of the upgrade to 2.4? It seems unlikely as this would be detailed in the upgrade docs. SS 2.3.6 runs beautifully on this server, s

I'm all sorts of confused, but leaning toward nginx not being the issue here.

This sig is not allowed.

Edited by myrmaad

This is where it gets complicated - because I'm on a client's server and he's running nginx (essentially apache rewritten by some crazy Russian to be lean so I'm told) which I've never used before. So - I don't know exactly if these packages are needed here as a result of the upgrade to 2.4? It seems unlikely as this would be detailed in the upgrade docs. SS 2.3.6 runs beautifully on this server, s

I'm all sorts of confused, but leaning toward nginx not being the issue here.

This sig is not allowed.

The whole post is a spambot. The very same post + sig turns up on a good many forums. Ironical that it should turn up in this particular thread.