Most embarrassing moment in life.

Keanumoreira

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before inviting a potential girlfriend to show her your house, hide the 3-foot tall Starfleet Insignia.

@ub3rman123 Solution b: Don't date any girls!

Solution C: Don't date girls not first meet on Star Trek fan conventions!

Solution D: Send the 3-foot tall Starfleet Insignia to me, for safekeeping! ;)

Ye bloody gods, some of you folks are unlucky. But your luck pales in comparison to mine. See, I have a unique sort of luck, I'll by shear fortune avoid something REALLY bad/dangerous happening, by having a lot of embarrsing frustrating tripe happen instead.

In this case I was taking a girl I really like home as a favour, not a favour to win her favour, but because her car blew up after I'd thought I'd fixed it and I considered myself to owe her one. But anyway so I was driving her back home from uni in my car. Now, my car is itself embarrising. Its a 1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Now, if you're someone who, like me, knows a boring amount about cars, then you'll know that this is really quite a sports car: its fast, its nimble, and its got all wheel drive so it's also idiot proof even on slipery roads like the rainy valley I live in. Now, it may be a one of the best affordable sports cars money can buy, but it also is anything but the sort of car you'd show to the girl you'd ask out if you were not such a total shy muppet.

Its a little compact saloon with a huge front spoiler and an even huger back spoiler and a garganutan exhaust pipe. Sure, those parts stick it to the road and make it handle well. But sure, most people dont know that and just assume YOU put them there and are by extension a bit of an idiot/showoff/moron/all three.

So I was on the way home and I accidently took a wrong turn. She noticed that, I didnt. It was anything but a romantic drive. The wrong turn in question took us through not romanticaly beautiful forest like what surrounds the area in which we both live, but rather, burned, blackened and charred broken forest. The same forest that the infamous deliberately lit Black Saturday bushfire destroyed, killing a LOT of innocent people. SO: depressing scenery, awkward silence, embarrissing car and navigational mishap. Bad right? WRONG! by shear luck we turned back onto the RIGHT road half an hour later only to find by the swarms of backed up traffic that we'd by shear luck avoid a major car accident and a three hour delay, she found this hilarious, and though very very smart, thought I'd done it on purpose.

What was really embarrising though was that she thought I'd arranged it all, when really I'd screwed up trying to fix her car, and I say that now for the record, that was a bono fide 100% genuine bit of REAL incompetant mechanicery.

Ye bloody gods, some of you folks are unlucky. But your luck pales in comparison to mine. See, I have a unique sort of luck, I'll by shear fortune avoid something REALLY bad/dangerous happening, by having a lot of embarrsing frustrating tripe happen instead.

In this case I was taking a girl I really like home as a favour, not a favour to win her favour, but because her car blew up after I'd thought I'd fixed it and I considered myself to owe her one. But anyway so I was driving her back home from uni in my car. Now, my car is itself embarrising. Its a 1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Now, if you're someone who, like me, knows a boring amount about cars, then you'll know that this is really quite a sports car: its fast, its nimble, and its got all wheel drive so it's also idiot proof even on slipery roads like the rainy valley I live in. Now, it may be a one of the best affordable sports cars money can buy, but it also is anything but the sort of car you'd show to the girl you'd ask out if you were not such a total shy muppet.

Its a little compact saloon with a huge front spoiler and an even huger back spoiler and a garganutan exhaust pipe. Sure, those parts stick it to the road and make it handle well. But sure, most people dont know that and just assume YOU put them there and are by extension a bit of an idiot/showoff/moron/all three.

So I was on the way home and I accidently took a wrong turn. She noticed that, I didnt. It was anything but a romantic drive. The wrong turn in question took us through not romanticaly beautiful forest like what surrounds the area in which we both live, but rather, burned, blackened and charred broken forest. The same forest that the infamous deliberately lit Black Saturday bushfire destroyed, killing a LOT of innocent people. SO: depressing scenery, awkward silence, embarrissing car and navigational mishap. Bad right? WRONG! by shear luck we turned back onto the RIGHT road half an hour later only to find by the swarms of backed up traffic that we'd by shear luck avoid a major car accident and a three hour delay, she found this hilarious, and though very very smart, thought I'd done it on purpose.

What was really embarrising though was that she thought I'd arranged it all, when really I'd screwed up trying to fix her car, and I say that now for the record, that was a bono fide 100% genuine bit of REAL incompetant mechanicery.

Her car blew up? And then you...My goodness, this is a confusing yet very amusing story. :happy:

I think that by 'blew up', Vindekarr means that the engine died.....

Also, It is debatable whether Black Saturday was deliberately lit or not. IMHO, they just say 'deliberately lit' to get better media popularity. After all, when you look at the news and theres a story of a bushfire or a burnt down house, you always hear "It is believed to be arson / deliberately lit". There is almost no exception to that.

Just my two dollars.

You want to know what I meant by "blew up" Keanu? for me its almost as funny as what followed, here goes:

Her car was a turbocharged early 1990s Volkswagen Gold GTI. Now, a Turbocharger is a small fan in the engine that compresses the air going into the pistons. Engine work by pumping air and fuel into a series of chambers called pistons, then igniting it, pushing the moveable floor down, the down stroke turns a large shaft called the crank, which goes into the gear box. from there it links into the prop shaft or transfer box in the golf's case, and then through a diferential to the wheels to power the car. Even with small engines, its very easy to imrpove efficiency.

The humbe Turbocharger is the simplest. It compresses the air entering the pistons. Compressed air burned much more fiercly, nearly doubling power output, but they also have a weak point. Turbo units wear out over time. Also, thye have a vulnerable part called the pop-off valve. Thise releases the engine pressure when you take your foot of the throttle, making a POP! of loud hiss. It was this and the turbo that broke, She had bought the golf dead cheap in good condition, but we found out later the turbo was ancient and terribly worn.

The car "blew up" when the turbo, mid road trip, cracked at the pop off valve, making a loud BANG! of depressurisation, like baloon poping. This caused the golf to lose a caterstrophic amoutn of power. A car loses two horsepower a year if driven daily with skill and care, and maintained well, one or even less. The golf had been brutaly driven by an idiot and the engine was badly damaged and weak even before sudden depresurisation broke it further.

You see the engine was designed to work at about twice the normal atmospheric pressure, so even if it wasnt a lump of junk, the engine would barely have run without a turbo.

I thought I'd been able to jury rig a replacement, but then that died too. This time it was the infamous "blown head gasket"

A gasket is a layer, usualy of rubber, or some sort of divider, that keeps the engine's oil supply and its water supply seperate, if it busts, then its a very time consuming and labour intensive process to fix it. You have to take most of the top of the engine off to reach it usualy-not something a hobby car tuner can do, and my uncle said in his normal blunt way that it "would cost more than the damn wreck is worth just to get a new gasket down here"

You ever watched a Rally Race? losing a turbocharger takes a rally car out for good, and its just as bad in civilian motoring, especialy in compacts with tiny engines that rely on high compression for their power, so a heavy assed golf, without that compression, becomes a large well engineered and nice looking lump of dead immobile steel. But that is repairable. The only time you'd waste so much money replacing the gasket would be on a really expansive car-or a rare engine. I mean, if your immaculate Falcon GT500 King Kobra blew it's head gasket, you'd move heaven and hell to fix it, let alone replace a little rubber seal, but thats because that is a beautiful and extremely rare historical icon(Allen Moffet won that classic first and second finish at Bathurst in one, and its just a pretty, sexy, brutal car). The golf is common, and not really famous for anything other than build quality or safety. And unlike the afforementioned Kobra, which though an autmotive pin up, was a hyper limited run, they still make golfs, and probably always will.

@ Vindekarr:

A Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, nice car. And a good one for a little tour with a girl :laugh:

Well depends on the girl, i would like it :smile: , own a Turbo myself. :yes:

You want to know what I meant by "blew up" Keanu? for me its almost as funny as what followed, here goes:

Her car was a turbocharged early 1990s Volkswagen Gold GTI. Now, a Turbocharger is a small fan in the engine that compresses the air going into the pistons. Engine work by pumping air and fuel into a series of chambers called pistons, then igniting it, pushing the moveable floor down, the down stroke turns a large shaft called the crank, which goes into the gear box. from there it links into the prop shaft or transfer box in the golf's case, and then through a diferential to the wheels to power the car. Even with small engines, its very easy to imrpove efficiency.

The humbe Turbocharger is the simplest. It compresses the air entering the pistons. Compressed air burned much more fiercly, nearly doubling power output, but they also have a weak point. Turbo units wear out over time. Also, thye have a vulnerable part called the pop-off valve. Thise releases the engine pressure when you take your foot of the throttle, making a POP! of loud hiss. It was this and the turbo that broke, She had bought the golf dead cheap in good condition, but we found out later the turbo was ancient and terribly worn.

The car "blew up" when the turbo, mid road trip, cracked at the pop off valve, making a loud BANG! of depressurisation, like baloon poping. This caused the golf to lose a caterstrophic amoutn of power. A car loses two horsepower a year if driven daily with skill and care, and maintained well, one or even less. The golf had been brutaly driven by an idiot and the engine was badly damaged and weak even before sudden depresurisation broke it further.

You see the engine was designed to work at about twice the normal atmospheric pressure, so even if it wasnt a lump of junk, the engine would barely have run without a turbo.

I thought I'd been able to jury rig a replacement, but then that died too. This time it was the infamous "blown head gasket"

A gasket is a layer, usualy of rubber, or some sort of divider, that keeps the engine's oil supply and its water supply seperate, if it busts, then its a very time consuming and labour intensive process to fix it. You have to take most of the top of the engine off to reach it usualy-not something a hobby car tuner can do, and my uncle said in his normal blunt way that it "would cost more than the damn wreck is worth just to get a new gasket down here"

You ever watched a Rally Race? losing a turbocharger takes a rally car out for good, and its just as bad in civilian motoring, especialy in compacts with tiny engines that rely on high compression for their power, so a heavy assed golf, without that compression, becomes a large well engineered and nice looking lump of dead immobile steel. But that is repairable. The only time you'd waste so much money replacing the gasket would be on a really expansive car-or a rare engine. I mean, if your immaculate Falcon GT500 King Kobra blew it's head gasket, you'd move heaven and hell to fix it, let alone replace a little rubber seal, but thats because that is a beautiful and extremely rare historical icon(Allen Moffet won that classic first and second finish at Bathurst in one, and its just a pretty, sexy, brutal car). The golf is common, and not really famous for anything other than build quality or safety. And unlike the afforementioned Kobra, which though an autmotive pin up, was a hyper limited run, they still make golfs, and probably always will.

Oh no, I didn't mean it literally, of course I knew the car didn't actually blow up. I was just expressing how bizzare of a situation you two got into. :laugh:

http://whi.s3.prod.lg1x8.simplecdn.net/images/2180063/tumblr_kz95uvUlai1qa6spbo1_500_thumb.png?1273334442

Oh my.... :laugh:

EDIT: Wrong one, this is it. Oh wait that's embarrassing right? It's like a double win! :wallbash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7vKPKfIEj8