Is keeping my cable modem in a plastic bag bad?

Over my current computer desk's 6 year run I've knocked over glasses of liquid I was drinking probably 10 times. I recently got new internet with a cable modem and there is really no other place to put it but on my desk, unfortunately its right in the danger zone :P So I cut off the zipper part of a ziploc bag and put the modem inside it, and I have the back puffed up and out as much as possible to make sure it can still vent back there. It looks to me like there's still room on the sides for it to vent too, but I'm a little worried because I don't really know how hot they get and if having it in this bag is a bad idea. I've already spilled my tea on my desk again once since doing it so its already saved my modem once so far, but I'm wondering if I might be doing damage to it still in the long run keeping it in a bag like that.

After typing all this I realize this question seems kind of silly but basically, how important is it for a cable modem to be able to vent fully and would a bag on the sides that directs all the air to the back potentially be a bad thing? (Also on the plus side it seems to keep dust out of it too so I dunno if that helps any heh)

Thanks.

It depends on the modem. My advice is just to use it like that for a while, and feel how hot it is every now and then. If after 4-5 hours of use it doesn't feel too hot, it should be fine. Otherwise, if it does feel too hot, you should probably try and put it somewhere else.

How hot too hot is probably also varies between modems, so you'll have to make an educated guess as to how hot is acceptable.

I took the bag off and let it sit for about 5 minutes and then felt it, then put the bag back on and let it sit for another 5 minutes and felt it again, I couldn't feel any difference in temperature. Also, I live in a shared apartment so all my stuff is in this one room, so I'm really not joking when I say there's no where else I could put the modem.

Although I guess I could always put my drink somewhere else I guess :P

Not really a good idea. Anything that can keep liquids out will keep heat in. Either find a better place to put it where there is no danger of spills, or find another place to set your drink. Maybe on the floor behind the desk or on a nearby table, or hang it on the wall, or hang it on the side of the desk (only on the side you don't spill things though) Mine is on a shelf above the computer desk. You may need to get a longer data cable to run to a safe place, and maybe a cable extender also.

Not really a good idea. Anything that can keep liquids out will keep heat in. Either find a better place to put it where there is no danger of spills, or find another place to set your drink. Maybe on the floor behind the desk or on a nearby table, or hang it on the wall, or hang it on the side of the desk (only on the side you don't spill things though) Mine is on a shelf above the computer desk. You may need to get a longer data cable to run to a safe place, and maybe a cable extender also.

For some silly reason it never occurred to me put it on the floor. It is now safely under the desk with no bag :-)

Thanks.

Why not use a sippy cup? no risk of spill there. Also, do modems actually overheat?

I took the bag off and let it sit for about 5 minutes and then felt it, then put the bag back on and let it sit for another 5 minutes and felt it again, I couldn't feel any difference in temperature.

That seemed kinda pointless, unless you only use the modem for 5 minutes at a time.