Imperial or Metric system?

Retribution

In the US most courses on the metric system are actually on converting back and forth from Imperial to metric. The elememtary teachers do not really understand it and they are supposed to teach it. As a person who has had to use both systems at various times in my life, the metric is much much simpler. The first thing you need to do is forget about converting. You should only convert in either direction if the final result is needed in the other system. If you ask an American how big a centimeter is, he will convert and tell you in inches, (if he knows how) but if you ask him how big an inch is he will hold up his fingers and show you "It's about this big" That is what makes the metric system hard for Americans.

One of the funniest questions I have had on metric measurements was "How much is a quarter stick of butter in metric?" When my school teacher sister in law was trying to convert a recipe from Imperial to metric for an internet friend in Spain.

I totally agree, most Americans envision "switching" to the metric system as learning how to convert imperial units to metric units. The system itself should be taught, as in using the actual measurement system, not using the metric system as a frontend for the imperial system.

The metric system is unarguably a superior system. I know this sounds controversial, but the there is no reason why one would want to use the imperial system over the metric system, as the metric system has only advantages and no disadvantages compared to the imperial system.

The most important improvement is that metric units can easily be converted back and forth without requiring (relatively) complex formulae. For example, a centimeter is exactly one hundredth of a meter (1 m =100 cm), 1 kilometer is exactly 100 000 centimeters. 1 kg is exactly 1000 grams, 1 liter is exactly 1000 milliliters.

Now take the imperial system's units and try converting them:

1 foot = 12 inches

1 gallon = 128 fluid ounces

How much is 1638 gallons in fluid ounces (1 gallon = 128 fluid ounces)? Sounds pretty difficult huh. You have to multiple 1638 by 128, by no means an easy thing to do for most people.

How about 1638 Liters in milliliters (1 liter = 1000 milliliters)? Pretty easy, since all you have to do is add 3 zeros to the the number of liters (x1000).

The only reason America hasn't switched is because unfortunately many Americans don't realize that it would be easier and more effective for them to use the metric system, if Obama proposed a conversion to the metric system, even slowly over time, he'd probably be accused of being a communist. (I'm not being stereotypical either, this speech of his generated controversy where he was accused of promoting marxism and socialsm. Yes, its just a stay in school speech. It was banned from some schools according to parental demand.)

Edited by GetOutOfBox

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>snip<

The only reason America hasn't switched is because unfortunately many Americans don't realize that it would be easier and more effective for them to use the metric system, if Obama proposed a conversion to the metric system, even slowly over time, he'd probably be accused of being a communist. (I'm not being stereotypical either, this speech of his generated controversy where he was accused of promoting marxism and socialsm. Yes, its just a stay in school speech. It was banned from some schools according to parental demand.)

LOL, so that´s why we are often referred to as commies over here in Continental Europe. It´s not because we pay taxes with a smile on our faces, or because of our social welfare. It is simply because of our METRIC SYSTEM :woot: . (Sorry for my sarcasm, I just watched Daily Show with Jon Stewart)

On topic, I my self can do both, since my father could too. Many old people can too. Actually I think the metric system is the oldest, comming from the Romans I think. Correct me if I am wrong, I did not check it out. Then I think we all got the Impireal system (as the name says) during that period of the great Impires Great Britain, France, Holland and Spain.

With Great Britain being the most powerfull, many costums, like the Impireal System, were taken/forced upon other contries who had partnership and trade with them.

Here in DK we used both system officially until the -70th, and old people still are unofficially. :cool:

LOL, so that´s why we are often referred to as commies over here in Continental Europe. It´s not because we pay taxes with a smile on our faces, or because of our social welfare. It is simply because of our METRIC SYSTEM :woot: . (Sorry for my sarcasm, I just watched Daily Show with Jon Stewart)

On topic, I my self can do both, since my father could too. Many old people can too. Actually I think the metric system is the oldest, comming from the Romans I think. Correct me if I am wrong, I did not check it out. Then I think we all got the Impireal system (as the name says) during that period of the great Impires Great Britain, France, Holland and Spain.

With Great Britain being the most powerfull, many costums, like the Impireal System, were taken/forced upon other contries who had partnership and trade with them.

Here in DK we used both system officially until the -70th, and old people still are unofficially. :cool:

Actually the Metric System was first used by France in 1781, the Romans did not use the Metric System.