Games that desperately need a sequel

Sinophile

Well let's see...

1. Half-life 2

2. Portal (Already has one coming out I know but it needs to hurry up.)

3. Assassins creed 2 (Brotherhood doesn't count, it's not a full fledge sequel.)

4. The Elder Scrolls IV

5. Bioshock 2

6. Mass Effect 2

Those games desperately need sequels because they are so Damn fun. :laugh:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[rant]

Well,yes!, there IS supposed to be a Mafia 2 under development, but it's been "nearly out" for how long? 8 years? please!,

http://www.rockpaper...on-impressions/

Same with Crysis 2... how much longer are we going to have to wait?

Autumn 2010 is when it's due, so not too much longer. Here's hoping it hasn't been dumbed down too much for the consoles.

Is bioshock 2 out already?

Yep been out since... November? I think.

chrono cross, yes, that was a good one, wish there was a modern remake of it with updated graphics, i mean..

look at Final Fantasy! (talk about excess of sequels!) they have been telling us the same story over and over again

every couple of years. and every time gamers case the shops en masse to buy the latest installment of FF, just to find out

it's basically the same with slightly better graphics improvements. kind of a bummer if you ask me.

I never played Chrono Cross, I really should one of these days, Chrono Trigger was excellent. How does it compare?

Unreal 2: that was a major improvement over the previous. too bad people at Epic keep wasting their time (and ours!) releasing more Tournament games!, i mean, they've got this wonderful engine and all they come up with is yet another lame shoot-em-up game. while letting other companies take the better part of it to make real games that actually have something to say. it's a bit disappointing.

I actually thought Unreal 2 was fairly rubbish - UT2004 was a far, far superior game IMO, even if it did lack much of a story.

I would not call GTA4 a sequel in any way. the only part of "sequel" it has is the name!, but long gone are the days when you spent hundreds

of hours just exploring the world, and getting every single race and license there was. the days when you needed to workout to keep your shape or eat like a pig just to have some girl like you. GTA4 was (as far as i can see) just an experiment of how far could they push people's computers (and pockets) using only a well known franchise such as GTA to leverage hardware upgrades.(you know you bought that new video card just so you could play that game)

GTA4 was definitely a proper sequel, and tbh I thought it was the best GTA game I've played. Then again, it's also the first GTA game I've played since GTA2...

Prince of Persia is an odd ball.first they create a rich universe revolving the sands of time, they get huge profits from it... then they drop it altogether saying "the sands had to go, they are not so cool anymore" and as a gamer you read that and say: wait....WHAT?. not to mention the drastic change of appearance. they drop all the lore and take a whole new approach. so yeah.... you get over it.. you even start to like it! but lo and behold, they decide to drop that one and continue with the sands! i mean... what is wrong with them? they think this is a game?? (well... yes, actually it is! :P )

They seem to like doing weird things to PoP. The massive difference between Sands of Time and Warrior Within was a fairly major shock to me tbh (when it went from being a nice Persian-styled game, with period music, a main character who actually looked like a prince, to something 'cool' - dark, full of heavy metal music, and with a grim, moody main character with lots of facial hair). I've heard all the games since have been fairly mediocre, so I haven't played them.

Something similar happens with Devil May Cry... you come fresh from playing DMC3 and come back from the shop, box in hand, smile in your face, expecting to play an overhauled Dante and yet another engaging story and then you start the game and see Nero...(who the hell is this guy?)by the nines! (no, wait... I'm getting a bit mixed up here). Something totally different so you have to develop new strategies to deal with the monsters. so by the time you get to actually use Dante, it doesn't even matter anymore. moreover, the new strategies that you had developed don't even apply either. so it's like... right... here we go again...i just wish it was the other way around and we started the game playing as Dante AND THEN change to Nero...well, I'm already looking forward for a sequel...with Vergil this time around!.

My only experience with DMC is playing the first 20 minutes or so of the first one, getting bored, and going off to play Soul Calibur instead. That said, surely more variety is a good thing? Making the sequel exactly the same as the one before wouldn't be a good move IMO.

We've all been craving for new HalfLife adventure. but all we have been given is a series of "half" told stories. while it's good that we get to play some new content from Valve more often, I wish they created full stories with each release... because frankly, wading through hordes of enemies just to find a "to be continued..."sign at the end is just... annoying! I'd rather cope with a bad ending (such as FO3) than with a non existent one.

Lol yeah, we all know about Valve Time, but it's getting pretty ridiculous now. The way things are going, it'll end up like Duke Nukem Forever...

The only Metroid platformers I've seen are the ones for GBA, which are not bad may i add. but.. it's not such a great improvement if compared to the modern platformers such as Megaman 8+ and Bionic Commando Rearmed. as for First person Metroid.... man... that's just wrong! specially considering they are not for PC (no mouse + WSAD) so you're stuck with that horrendous controller.

I quite liked Metroid Prime tbh, but that was before I started playing games on the PC, so I was used to the controller. I tried playing it again recently, and just couldn't bear it at all.

There's no doubt about it in my mind - There's a window opening for a game that came out fifteen years ago, and was the first and last for that studio branch. (Not to mention it started one of the greatest video game composers' careers...)

Secret of Evermore. If they start now, they have a very, very nice space between them and my suggested year of release - 2015. This gives them nearly four and a half years as of this post. Why the late release date? Well, Squaresoft North America used essentially "present day" (1995) as their starting setting, and so by twenty years then they have the game follow the same type of timeline the original had.

Plus, by following that type of timeline to continue, it's likely that the protagonist known as "The Boy" becomes "The Father", and unfortunately but obviously The Dog and his godly powers won't come back, but instead, as you can see by the protagonist's new moniker, you have a child or two (respectively The Son and/or The Daughter); perhaps some children of other notable characters might play into this too.

For those who don't know, Evermore is essentially a living, breathing world wholly "composed" of cliched B-movie sets. The original had four main settings - Jungle/Prehistoric, Antiquity, Medieval/Renaissance, and Sci-Fi. How Evermore was created was through the interests of four people, of which they have "influence" over their own section. Unfortunately, in order for this world to exist, there has to be a balance of influence - Too much positive influence can destroy the world, as the same with negative. So, in order to maintain the balance, it's likely that new worlds will pop up - Perhaps something like a spaghetti western or a horror/thriller world would be added?

Finally, for those who saw the real ending - It just begs for a sequel, doesn't it?

I never played Chrono Cross, I really should one of these days, Chrono Trigger was excellent. How does it compare?
Crono Cross kinda sucked, way too many characters, mediocre battle system.

GTA4 was definitely a proper sequel, and tbh I thought it was the best GTA game I've played. Then again, it's also the first GTA game I've played since GTA2...

They made spin-offs of Vice City and Liberty City. Personally, I think the series went downhill After Vice City. in San Andreas, everything seemed more linear, and more like Everquest. You had to level up your swimming, driving, shooting, etc. I hated the part where I had to learn to fly, it was really tedious.

1. Half-life 2

3. Assassins creed 2 (Brotherhood doesn't count, it's not a full fledge sequel.)

4. The Elder Scrolls IV

5. Bioshock 2

6. Mass Effect 2

Those games desperately need sequels because they are so Damn fun.

All of those games came out within the last two years, and will most likely have a sequel. There is always a good five years between TES releases.

chrono cross, yes, that was a good one, wish there was a modern remake of it with updated graphics, i mean..

look at Final Fantasy! (talk about excess of sequels!) they have been telling us the same story over and over again

every couple of years. and every time gamers case the shops en masse to buy the latest installment of FF, just to find out

it's basically the same with slightly better graphics improvements. kind of a bummer if you ask me.

Actually, I wished that XII and XIII had a more traditional approach to storyline and gameplay. I never really felt engrossed with the characters, or their plight.

VII and X IMO had the best storylines, but they seemed to have overmilked both of those cows.

1. Half-life 2

4. The Elder Scrolls IV

5. Bioshock 2

6. Mass Effect 2

Those games desperately need sequels because they are so Damn fun.

All of those games came out within the last two years, and will most likely have a sequel. There is always a good five years between TES releases.

No, I meant there needs to be sequels for those games. I wasn't waiting for the games above, I'm waiting for their sequels. I already know they came out, I'm not that clueless you know. :laugh:

I won't even bother with games that are guaranteed to get sequels, because... well, we all know they're getting sequels. Instead, howzabout some flights of fancy?

System Shock series

Metaltech/Earthsiege/Starsiege/Cyberstorm/Tribes universe (amazing that there can be so many releases in a universe and still a need for more)

Homeworld series

Battletech/Mechwarrior/MechCommander universe (since MW5 is currently in limbo)

Jade Empire (don't try to tell me there weren't other places to go in that universe)

Starlancer (got a 'sequel' in Freelancer, which skipped over the two never-quite-made-it games in between and thus left massive gaps in the timeline)

Freespace series

Dune universe

Beyond Good & Evil (dammit, they even released a trailer for it!)

The Longest Journey series (Dreamfall ended on the mother of all cliffhangers)

Most of the above will never happen because the developers are either dead or have moved on to bigger things. Not that I mind BioWare focusing on Dragon Age and Mass Effect rather than pursuing a Jade Empire sequel, for example, but it'd still have been nice to see what direction it would have taken because the universe had so much potential. Battletech has so much source material by now that the need for more proper games (MechASSault doesn't count) is getting painful. Metaltech has three loosely connected eras which left plenty of room for many more installments in the hundreds of years of dead space between (instead, Dynamix got deep sixed). Dune never got the attention it deserved; despite being a huge influence on the development of RTS, the universe would have been better served by a series of RPGs. System Shock 2, well... Bioshock was great, but SS3 should have happened instead; SHODAN still needs to try and wipe out humanity again. Freespace 2 was just too good for the series to have met the end that it did- that it survived so much longer as a modding platform says something that somebody should have been listening to. BG&E is a no-brainer; that game was just good clean fun. TLJ was just starting to tie its loose ends together when Funcom's writers suckerpunched the entire main cast at the end of Dreamfall. Finally, Homeworld deserved much better than it got- Homeworld 2 more or less completely ignored Cataclysm, not to mention the established backstory of the original game- the writers simply didn't do their research, and the guy who wrote the first two games was nowhere in sight... an ignominious end for the first 3D RTS.

Them's my picks.

here we go:

Dawn Of War II, Chaos Rising. Ye gods where do I start? for a true warhammer fanboy C-rising was simply epic. I really cant wait for what I sincerely hope the next game will be like. It had surprising weight on its moral decisions: selfish, psychotic, or downright stupid decisions corrupt you, selfless, heroic, yet extremely dificult actions redeem you, its the same for all your companions, at the end, your main decisions and corruption are added up and the game can end one of many vastly diferent ways.

One ending or the other, DOW 2.2 really looks like being even more epic. As the extrem evil and extreme good endings both are lining up for some serious fun. If you somehow manage to earn max evil, and finish every single evil objective, you turn to chaos at the endgame and are put in comand of what remains of eliphas' army. Do every possible redeeming action, never fail a mission or side objective, execute the REAL traitor, and somehow finish with zero corruption and you become a space marine captain, taking over davian thule's command. Since you carry your character over when you start an xpac, it stands to reason you'll see a diferent game depending on your deeds. I sure hope so.

Star Craft: DUH! best. rts. ever.

Oblivion: superbly modable, massive scope for personalisation, great world, great gameplay, and modded up, a truly superb crpg.

R-Type-Final. Any game so crazy dificult it cant be completed without cheatcodes deserves tossing out the window. Any game so hardcore you need cheats to finish it, while being so addictive as an arcade game, and so full of replay value, deserves a sequal. With 6 seperate endings, 101 playable aircraft, at times dazzling level design and a general level of geeky excellence, R-Type really is due for a proper sequal.

My list:

-Elder Scrolls series: In my opinion every game in the Elder Scrolls series is better than the one before it. They're all good, but Oblivion is the best. I don't know if Elder Scrolls 5 will be that way, but it better be good. This means that there is no mention of that book that was written about the "flying city" anywhere in the game. I feel that would ruin the game, and so would the designers determining the fate of previous player characters like what almost happened with the Morrowind player character in Oblivion (I say almost because they are just rumors), that's for the players of the game to determine and not the designers. I could go on and on about this but I'll just sum it up: Arena was good, Daggerfall was better, Morrowind was even better, Oblivion was the best so far, and while I doubt ES5 will be better than Oblivion, I am looking forward to it

-Fallout series: Can't wait for both Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4 when it's eventually released!

-System Shock series: I don't think Bioshock was a proper sequel.

-Starcraft: Can't wait for Starcraft 2 to release soon!

-Diablo series: Can't wait for Diablo 3 to release soon!

-Ultima series: I think there should be an Ultima 10, if it's done correctly.

-Planetside: A fun MMOFPS that would probably bring back many fans had it had a sequel.

No, I meant there needs to be sequels for those games.

And there will be sequels, so there is no point in stating that there needs to sequels to games that already have sequels in development.

I wasn't waiting for the games above, I'm waiting for their sequels.

I didn't say you were, and I kinda assumed that. The point of the topic wasn't which upcoming titles you were anticipating, but which games you would like to see sequels to, that didn't have one in production.

I already know they came out, I'm not that clueless you know.

Actually, yes you are.

Jade Empire (don't try to tell me there weren't other places to go in that universe)

I was sorely disappointed that Bioware made a game about martial arts, yet added no stealth. Haven't they ever heard of Ninjas?

I won't even bother with games that are guaranteed to get sequels, because... well, we all know they're getting sequels. Instead, howzabout some flights of fancy?
Thank you, Wrath ; That was exactly my intended purpose of creating this topic in the first place. Simply Stating which upcoming releases you are anticipating would be redundant with the rest of the forum, as their are most likely already topics about Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, etc.