⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

4k graphics on 1080p tv?

yudhi108

First, let get this straight, no one cares about that website. Or at least the people that know what they are talking about.

Really? because i have been directed there by top rated users on toms hardware and by overclockers staff. Many of those toms hardware users are people who actually work in the industry, do you?

Edited by Nazgren

It's obvious that he misunderstood the question since it is not that clear.

"4K Textures on 1080p Resolution" would be a much better title for this thread.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. My bad. For now, just wanna say thanks everyone. Lots of info here, going to come back to this and read it more later.

It's simple: 4k textures will always be higher quality than 2k no matter what monitor you use. See it like this: the texture is 4k which is prettier than 2k. Your monitor is a tool to look at this texture, the better the tool the better the picture. Looking at a 2k texture with a shitty monitor will look worse than looking at a 4k texture with the same shitty monitor.

Depends on how closely you're looking at it and the object's size is also important.

So basically these are all situational things, higher resolution doesn't necessarily mean it's always better.

Sorry for the double post also.

I think he was talking about the image quality, not the perspective with which you look at it, the image quality is better that's simply a fact you can't deny.

Edited by Karamelappel

For anyone interested in this subject still, I created a new Skyrim install (still working on it really) with lesser graphics...

Usually I install graphics and then back up the install before installing other mods. This way I have a clean install with good graphics to begin with if I mess my game up too bad. Usually I make another install save after installing cbbe and about 15 or so other body mods as well. I've been having trouble having multiple hard install saves on my computer etc. but I think I've figured it out.

I've created an install with the same mods I used to have in 4k graphics, but now in 2k graphics. It's hard for me to judge the difference because I left out one mod I think, and I used some even lesser graphics mods (512 and 1024, as opposed to the 4k graphics I had installed previously). I did notice a couple interesting things which I will mention now, but over the next month or two I'll continue comparing different graphics on my 1080p TV and let you guys know.

I use RealVission enb and the suggested mods on SkyrimTuner's page (can someone message me how to hide a link for future reference?). This time I used 512-2k graphics instead of 4k. Nothing above 2k. Realvision ENB link (can someone tell me, maybe in a message, how to hide a link for future reference?):

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D30936%26preview%3D&pUp=1

WATER: Couldn't tell much difference between 512 and 4k.

MOUNTAINS: Made me wanna puke. Couldn't play the game lol. I might have missed a mod though, I need to test this more. It was soooooo bad.

TREES: Couldn't tell the difference.

After doing some thorough testing, I will post here again. This was a very poor test, I'll admit that much, though I will be testing more. Thank you all again, for all the input.

Nazgren wrote: I use a variety of textures, 8k, 4k, 2k, etc. There are 2 common misconceptions that i can shed some light on from my experiences. There is no doubt in my mind, whatsoever, that 4k looks better then 2k on a 1080p monitor. The difference is as clear as the nose on my characters 4k face. Secondly, Despite me having one of the most powerful renditions of one of the most powerful cards, the GTX 780 TI, my card still cant pull much more then 30 FPS due to my textures / ENB. However, any FPS above 30 doesn't make any difference.

Nazgren, if you don't mind, what do you use 2k, 4k, and 8k textures for? 8k for body mods, 2k grass, etc... something like that? I'd be interested to see your load order (from wyre bash so I can understand it better) if possible. More importantly though, which graphics card is coming out in december that you suggest waiting for? I'm actually in the market for a new GPU now, want a very high end one, and could use some suggestions. $1000 budget (was even looking at that new r9295x2 for over $1000).

It's simple: 4k textures will always be higher quality than 2k no matter what monitor you use. See it like this: the texture is 4k which is prettier than 2k. Your monitor is a tool to look at this texture, the better the tool the better the picture. Looking at a 2k texture with a shitty monitor will look worse than looking at a 4k texture with the same shitty monitor.

Depends on how closely you're looking at it and the object's size is also important.

So basically these are all situational things, higher resolution doesn't necessarily mean it's always better.

Sorry for the double post also.

I think he was talking about the image quality, not the perspective with which you look at it, the image quality is better that's simply a fact you can't deny.

Yeah I understand that but what I'm saying is that 8K might be better than 2K but do you really need 8K textures for everything? I don't think so.

Edited by Amyr

Nazgren, if you don't mind, what do you use 2k, 4k, and 8k textures for? 8k for body mods, 2k grass, etc... something like that? I'd be interested to see your load order (from wyre bash so I can understand it better) if possible. More importantly though, which graphics card is coming out in december that you suggest waiting for? I'm actually in the market for a new GPU now, want a very high end one, and could use some suggestions. $1000 budget (was even looking at that new r9295x2 for over $1000).

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51467/

I use this tool, It gives you a list of a wide variety of texture packs to download, picks the optimum textures from them and combines them into an output of your choosing, such as .rar, .bsa or simply a drag and drop folder. I then fine tune it with some other textures afterwards. Cant recommend this program enough!

The graphics card coming in December is the improved version of the GeForce GTX 980. Its current rendition isn't much better then the GTX 780 TI, but the version released in December is virtually certain to have 8GB VRAM, anything else would be pointless. I linked the estimated specs for it earlier, but here they are again: http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=2490&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%20980%20Ti%208GB

Remember that there only an estimation, the newer version will likely be different, primarily in areas such as core speed, depending on what happens in regards to factory overclocking. My current GTX 780 TI is overclocked in the factory to such an extent that it needs 3 fans to keep it cool!

Yeah I understand that but what I'm saying is that 8K might be better than 2K but do you really need 8K textures for everything? I don't think so.

I agree with you on this. 8K on many of the things in Skyrim would be pointless as you would be unable to see the difference in the quality. 8k grass for instance would be a complete waste of resources. I can only thing of 3 examples of 8k textures off the top of my head, Galaxies, Dragons and maybe some custom armors. Two of these are some of the biggest things in the game that use the same texture across the whole model, and the third is something that you see constantly while still being able to appreciate the difference. Having massively high res textures is nice, but remember that resources used pointlessly in graphics enhancements that you cant see are resources that could otherwise be used for Game play. Having 8k armors would most certainly stop you from using mods like Civil war: Unrest.

Having 8k armors would most certainly stop you from using mods like Civil war: Unrest.

This! I kept having CTD's after installing my last few gameplay mods. So, I'm experimenting with different quality mods while researching GPU's.