⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

4k graphics on 1080p tv?

yudhi108

Your Graphics card is the most important thing here, you really want 4GB of Vram, if not more. As i said, i'm kinda pushing it with only 3 GB of Vram, albeit fast Vram. Despite being beaten on performance by the basic Nvidia GTX 980, the 295 X2 is better for high res textures due to having 8GB VRAM. However, if the predictions are true then the new version of the GTX 980 due in december will have 8gb VRAM too and will no doubt be much faster too and possibly cheaper. So if you don't have a 4gb+ Vram GPU and want to buy one and have the money then hold on till December or later. Trust me, 4k Skyrim is well worth the wait. Even Uthgerd looks pretty damn good!

R9 295X2 is a dual GPU card. It doesn't actually have 8GB of VRAM. That "8GB VRAM" you're talking here gets split between GPU0 and GPU1 and then when you start playing games the info(basically your VRAM usage) gets mirrored to both GPUs, meaning that you might have "technically" 8GB VRAM but you will also use double the VRAM than before. So in a short sentence, if you're Skyrim was using 3.5GB VRAM before, it will now use 7GB. Meaning that you will only have 1GB VRAM left to split between two GPUs.

And you should also know that 295X2 basically consists of dual 290X on a single PCB which is kinda the AMD equivalent of GTX 980 SLI. So unlike what you said, GTX980 is not better than 295X2, it's not even close to it. 295X2 is almost twice as faster than a single GTX980.

So in short sentence; No, 295X2 doesn't have more VRAM than GTX980, both have equal. No, GTX980 is not better than 295X2 performance wise, not even remotely close.

Edited by Amyr

It's simple: 4k textures will always be higher quality than 2k no matter what monitor you use. See it like this: the texture is 4k which is prettier than 2k. Your monitor is a tool to look at this texture, the better the tool the better the picture. Looking at a 2k texture with a shitty monitor will look worse than looking at a 4k texture with the same shitty monitor.

Depends on how closely you're looking at it and the object's size is also important.

So basically these are all situational things, higher resolution doesn't necessarily mean it's always better.

Sorry for the double post also.

Edited by Amyr

I use a variety of textures, 8k, 4k, 2k, etc. There are 2 common misconceptions that i can shed some light on from my experiences. There is no doubt in my mind, whatsoever, that 4k looks better then 2k on a 1080p monitor. The difference is as clear as the nose on my characters 4k face. Secondly, Despite me having one of the most powerful renditions of one of the most powerful cards, the GTX 980 TI, my card still cant pull much more then 30 FPS due to my textures / ENB. However, any FPS above 30 doesn't make any difference. FACT. Unless you have a few of one of the top 3 GPUs in SLI then don't expect to get 60+ FPS with the majority of your textures at 4k or higher. Your Graphics card is the most important thing here, you really want 4GB of Vram, if not more. As i said, i'm kinda pushing it with only 3 GB of Vram, albeit fast Vram. Despite being beaten on performance by the basic Nvidia GTX 980, the 295 X2 is better for high res textures due to having 8GB VRAM. However, if the predictions are true then the new version of the GTX 980 due in december will have 8gb VRAM too and will no doubt be much faster too and possibly cheaper. So if you don't have a 4gb+ Vram GPU and want to buy one and have the money then hold on till December or later. Trust me, 4k Skyrim is well worth the wait. Even Uthgerd looks pretty damn good!

O.K. GM 200 A2 has only just recently taped out at TMSC TW the production has not started at Foxconn TW yet on this card.

They are a very late Q4 14 launch...Retail pieces are about 60 days out.

Based upon your VRAM statement the New GM 200 will have 4GB 6GB, and 8GB of VRAM

Tsun probably has a few floating around but beyond that they are in validation.

The naming has not been finalized either.

Edited by Reynard131

Your Graphics card is the most important thing here, you really want 4GB of Vram, if not more. As i said, i'm kinda pushing it with only 3 GB of Vram, albeit fast Vram. Despite being beaten on performance by the basic Nvidia GTX 980, the 295 X2 is better for high res textures due to having 8GB VRAM. However, if the predictions are true then the new version of the GTX 980 due in december will have 8gb VRAM too and will no doubt be much faster too and possibly cheaper. So if you don't have a 4gb+ Vram GPU and want to buy one and have the money then hold on till December or later. Trust me, 4k Skyrim is well worth the wait. Even Uthgerd looks pretty damn good!

R9 295X2 is a dual GPU card. It doesn't actually have 8GB of VRAM. That "8GB VRAM" you're talking here gets split between GPU0 and GPU1 and then when you start playing games the info(basically your VRAM usage) gets mirrored to both GPUs, meaning that you might have "technically" 8GB VRAM but you will also use double the VRAM than before. So in a short sentence, if you're Skyrim was using 3.5GB VRAM before, it will now use 7GB. Meaning that you will only have 1GB VRAM left to split between two GPUs.

And you should also know that 295X2 basically consists of dual 290X on a single PCB which is kinda the AMD equivalent of GTX 980 SLI. So unlike what you said, GTX980 is not better than 295X2, it's not even close to it. 295X2 is almost twice as faster than a single GTX980.

So in short sentence; No, 295X2 doesn't have more VRAM than GTX980, both have equal. No, GTX980 is not better than 295X2 performance wise, not even remotely close.

People here tend to think of VRAM in "static" terms and not understand that it is a FIFO Buffer for the GPU. The drivers use hardware detection algorithms to properly utilize the VRAM appropriately.

VRAM has error correcting based on temperature if the error correction fails you get errors. If the drivers are not purging the FIFO correctly it will also cause issues. VRAM is also shadowed in Physical RAM/PageFile.

VRAM has nothing to do with frame buffer FPS, that strictly is determined by graphical GPU computing horsepower and memory controller effectiveness..

No, GTX980 is not better than 295X2 performance wise, not even remotely close.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

This website, widely considered to be the best source of benchmarks on the web says differently.

Whether one card has 8gb or two cards has 4 gb is irrelevant. the workload is being split evenly between the 2 GPUs, as you said, reaching "theoretically, the same performance, although almost certainly slightly under. Computer lab speeds and off the shelf speeds are never the same. Regardless, both cards should be more then capable of running Skyrim at 4K+.

I use a variety of textures, 8k, 4k, 2k, etc. There are 2 common misconceptions that i can shed some light on from my experiences. There is no doubt in my mind, whatsoever, that 4k looks better then 2k on a 1080p monitor. The difference is as clear as the nose on my characters 4k face. Secondly, Despite me having one of the most powerful renditions of one of the most powerful cards, the GTX 980 TI, my card still cant pull much more then 30 FPS due to my textures / ENB. However, any FPS above 30 doesn't make any difference. FACT. Unless you have a few of one of the top 3 GPUs in SLI then don't expect to get 60+ FPS with the majority of your textures at 4k or higher. Your Graphics card is the most important thing here, you really want 4GB of Vram, if not more. As i said, i'm kinda pushing it with only 3 GB of Vram, albeit fast Vram. Despite being beaten on performance by the basic Nvidia GTX 980, the 295 X2 is better for high res textures due to having 8GB VRAM. However, if the predictions are true then the new version of the GTX 980 due in december will have 8gb VRAM too and will no doubt be much faster too and possibly cheaper. So if you don't have a 4gb+ Vram GPU and want to buy one and have the money then hold on till December or later. Trust me, 4k Skyrim is well worth the wait. Even Uthgerd looks pretty damn good!

O.K. GM 200 A2 has only just recently taped out at TMSC TW the production has not started at Foxconn TW yet on this card.

They are a very late Q4 14 launch.meaning you are spewing FUD...Retail pieces are about 60 days out.

Based upon your VRAM statement the New GM 200 will have 4GB 6GB, and 8GB of VRAM

Wow, my apologies, i didn't notice that, will edit it now. Wishful thinking on my part XD. Its actually the 780 TI I have.

A number of credible sources state that it will be released in December and will be 8GB. The rumoured specs are here: http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=2490&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%20980%20Ti%208GB. So much VRAM for one card, high res texture heaven!

No, GTX980 is not better than 295X2 performance wise, not even remotely close.

This website, widely considered to be the best source of benchmarks on the web says differently.

Whether one card has 8gb or two cards has 4 gb is irrelevant. the workload is being split evenly between the 2 GPUs, as you said, reaching "theoretically, the same performance, although almost certainly slightly under. Computer lab speeds and off the shelf speeds are never the same. Regardless, both cards should be more then capable of running Skyrim at 4K+.

They are a very late Q4 14 launch.meaning you are spewing FUD...Retail pieces are about 60 days out.

Wow, my apologies, i didn't notice that, will edit it now. Wishful thinking on my part XD. Its actually the 780 TI I have.

A number of credible sources state that it will be released in December and will be 8GB. The rumoured specs are here: http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=2490&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%20980%20Ti%208GB. So much VRAM for one card, high res texture heaven!

Edited It takes a big man to admit mistake !!!

Cool beans !

First, let get this straight, no one cares about that website. Or at least the people that know what they are talking about.

That website, whatever the hell they're doing there, probably got the whole "dual GPU" concept wrong.

Secondly, it doesn't mean that it will perform better in Skyrim just because it has a higher ranking in that website. Thinking this way is literally equal to not knowing anything about this stuff.

I'm starting to think that you don't know the difference between GPU and a Graphics Card, and you might also literally think of 295X2 as 2 separate 295 cards. I hope that is not the case. It will be funny.

And these are your own words: "Despite being beaten on performance by the basic NVIDIA GTX 980, the 295X2 is better for high-res due to having 8GB VRAM"

You first implied that GTX 980 is more powerful than 295X2, which is totally wrong, and then you also implied that 295X2 has actual 8GB VRAM(like it is more than what 980 has) that you can use, which is also totally wrong.

And when I tell you that it is not correct then you show us a crappy website that can't even do a mediocre job to handle multi GPU cards and then you tell us that it is irrelevant.

For the sake of the community, I'm gonna give you some REAL benchmarks that you can check out;

Unigine Heaven

Unigine Valley

3D Mark Firestrike Extreme

Pretty basic stuff that everyone should know, especially Valley benchmark is highly considered as a good tool to measure a GPU's raw power. It is probably the least CPU dependent combined benchmark out there.

Edited by Amyr