Upgrading Graphics Card for Skyrim+Tons of mods

aznguy916

NVIDIA will soon release GTX 960(3 months or so), it will be in the same price range with GTX 760 and it will also be much better than it. Currently it is not really good idea to buy any Kepler GPU unless if you're getting it really really cheap.

This kind of info helps a lot. Seen u help out in a lot of threads Amyr. Thanks a lot. I'm also trying to find a good GPU upgrade and this thread has been helpful. Guess I'll wait for the 970. Currently running a 3gb gtx 780 and wanting at least 4gb.

Amyr, if I had $1000-$1500 to spend on a single GPU, could you make a suggestion? No one seems to actually want to make a specific suggestion in that price range. They only want to give philosophical advice on the matter. what about the new r9295x2 that came out? i think the EVGA one was like $1500 when I checked. I'd love a 6-8gb GPU that's fast.

Ideally for that price range you would want to have something like 6GB version of 780Ti in SLI but unfortunately there are no 6GB 780Ti.

But then again, if you really don't care that much about making the most of your money and you just wanna play Skyrim at 4K with lots of mods and ENB, your best bet is Titan Z as always.

Personally, I don't see any reason to get 295X2 anymore. You can easily just get 980 SLI for the same price. And you won't have to bother with excessive heating, high power consumption, etc... Plus 980 SLI will be more powerful than a 295X2 once you overclock it. It is really so easy to get 1500MHz Core/2000MHz Memory on those cards.

Edited by Amyr

Ideally for that price range you would want to have something like 6GB version of 780Ti in SLI but unfortunately there are no 6GB 780Ti.

But then again, if you really don't care that much about making the most of your money and you just wanna play Skyrim at 4K with lots of mods and ENB, your best bet is Titan Z as always.

How is the TItan the best for Skyrim still? My understanding is that Skyrim can only utilize 4gb of VRAM from any GPU.

I know that there is a 3.1GB Limit but I think you can bypass that by using ENB. Not really sure. I actually haven't been close to that limit at all.

But nonetheless, Titan Z is not just about VRAM, it's performance is pretty close to what you can achieve from 780Ti SLI. But since it has just a reference PCB and usual Nvidia design it doesn't have that much room for overclocking as opposed to 780Ti Classified Kingpin Edition.

Edited by Amyr

If it's the same GPU chip (GTX760 in this case) get a 4gb model of course.

The chip will be the same throughout all brands, so of course more memory = better, especially in skyrim AND mods. All those textures and such. 4GB card mane.

How is the TItan the best for Skyrim still? My understanding is that Skyrim can only utilize 4gb of VRAM from any GPU.

Awesome info. Really. Is there something that you know of, that's coming out soon, that will replace or be better than the titan? I seem to have bought my 780 at a bad time when I could've waited only a couple months and got something significantly better for same price.

There are 290Xs with 8GB from AMD due in November, but they won't beat a Titan Z (they'll be cheaper though).

From all my browsing over the past month of GPU news, it looks like 3 to 9 months for something new replacing the Nvidia 980s (there was a very recent rumour of an 8GB 980, but that got denied by Nvidia). Other than that, it's also 3 to 9 months for the next generation of GPU based on smaller dies ... they're expected to give a very good performance increase over current cards, anyone who can wait for them probably should (personally, I'm in two minds, but fortunately (?) can't afford a new card atm anyway).

Whether anything will replace the Titan Z I've no idea, I suspect the next gen cards with the smaller dies will probably make it obsolete for gaming.

I don't think we will see anything from NVidia before 2015. A lot of people were waiting for 8GB GTX 980 to be released in December but that has been denied by some good sources. But I should say that there are rumors for Titan II, 980Ti and 990. But I don't think they will be available before 6 months.

It seems like they are having some hard times manufacturing, I understand tho, there is an insane demand. I'm still waiting to get one and it's not available in my country yet, lol.

http://store.donanimhaber.com/1b/9c/8a/1B9C8A60A2FA241BAF4AC408DC7BC85F.jpg

Edited by Amyr

There are 290Xs with 8GB from AMD due in November, but they won't beat a Titan Z (they'll be cheaper though).

From all my browsing over the past month of GPU news, it looks like 3 to 9 months for something new replacing the Nvidia 980s (there was a very recent rumour of an 8GB 980, but that got denied by Nvidia). Other than that, it's also 3 to 9 months for the next generation of GPU based on smaller dies ... they're expected to give a very good performance increase over current cards, anyone who can wait for them probably should (personally, I'm in two minds, but fortunately (?) can't afford a new card atm anyway).

Whether anything will replace the Titan Z I've no idea, I suspect the next gen cards with the smaller dies will probably make it obsolete for gaming.

First of all, didn't the 980 just come out? They already have an upgrade/replacement planned?

Second, what does "smaller dies" mean? what is a die? I'm curious to know how a Titan Z might become "obsolete for gaming" not too long after I drop 1500 bucks on a legit version (non aftermarket)..

Obsolete for gaming is just an over exaggeration. Even a GTX 690 is still a beast when it comes to gaming just because it's a dual GPU card. Dual GPU cards don't age that quickly. Not gonna lie, Titan Z is kind of an expensive card but it is still quite powerful. No worries there.

It's more like a rebranding than an upgrade. There are rumors that GTX 980 will change a little bit and it will be sold under a different title, just like AMD turned Radeon 7000 series into R9 2xx series. Most likely, there won't be more than %5 difference. And even that's debatable. But it's certain that NVIDIA will do some funky stuff with them.

As far as I know, new architecture GPUs(called Pascal) are due to 2016. Till that, we will see things like Rebranded GTX 980, 8GB GTX 980, 980Ti, 960, Titan II and possibly 990.

It also depends on what your idea of "obsolete" is as well. To me, obsolete says it won't run a modern, unmodded, title out of the box on a basic computer monitor. But then again, I don't have a super-high-end rig to begin with (can't afford it). If, on the other hand, to those lucky folks who game with three huge monitors at max resolution, then most low to mid-range cards on the market right now are "obsolete". That being said, I can't imagine the Titan being obsolete by anyone's definition for quite a while.

yudhi108: "Die" refers to the blanks that the gpu's are manufactured on. With processors, smaller is better because it increases performance.