ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Quest Dialogue

Razakel

As I slowly learn how to script, from time to time I'm hit with something than stumps me.

Right now it's dialogue. What I'll do is explain what I want to happen and if someone can either link me to a good CSWiki page or help me out in person that would make me a very happy Raz.

Here's how I want my quest to go.

End previous quest - Setstage for new quest: Working.

When New Quest started - NPC that was previous set to disabled is now enabled: Working

Player meets NPC and there is a conversation: No idea how to do this, seriously I'm dumb, I can't figure out how to add dialogue to an NPC that will work like a conversation.

What I want to happen is...(A=NPC B=Player)...

A: GREETING

B: Mention quest

A: Blah blah

B: Blah blah blah

etc

At the last line of the conversation I want the quest to update and that will end this quest (the quest has two stages, need to go talk to the person - have talked to the person - new quest). I'll take the insults, I know this is really simple and I'm missing something very obvious in the Construction Set, but I've been trying to figure this out for two hours...and I give up.

Learning dialog is a big shock to the system. It is not easy and it is not intuitive. The people who say otherwise are geniuses or braggarts.

The best thing might be to very closely study how a vanilla Oblivion conversation works. A simple one without a lot of branches.

Here is a tutorial on dialog:

A Beginner's Guide Lesson 6

You must be sure to put conditions on all the new lines of dialog you make. Otherwise everyone in Tamriel might start saying your lines at the most inappropriate times. Some common and useful conditions might be things like GetIsId AAMyNewNPC == 1 and GetStage AAMyCoolQuest == 25

The easiest way to start a conversation thread is often to give the NPC the topic GREETING and put in custom dialog with proper conditions. If all works out well, your custom GREETING will be the thing the NPC will say the first time you talk to him or her.

The NPCs get to talk all they want, but your answers are limited to about five words, and will come in the list of topics sort of like this:

Glarthir

Where is the Magic Sword?

Rumors

Skingrad

So your first entry will be sort of like:

Topic GREETING

NPC: "I am looking for a hero to go find a magic sword for me.

"And it is not just a plain old boring magic sword, but a really cool awesome sword."

"My trouble is that when the hero finds it he won't want to give it back to me."

AddTopic Box: AddTopic AAMagicSword

Say Once box checked

Conditions: GetIsId AAMyNewNPC == 1

Second entry:

Topic AAMagicSword, Visible Text: Where is the Magic Sword?

NPC: "The sword is in a really scary cave full of cobwebs."

"But it gets even worse! I hear there are rats in the cave."

"There might even be mudcrabs! Dreadful creatures. I avoid them whenever possible."

"My ex- wife got mad and threw my sword into the cave to tick me off."

"Can I trust you to be honest and bring my sword back to me?

AddTopic Box: AddTopic AAYeahSureWhatever

Say Once box checked

Third Entry Yeah, sure, whatever.

NPC: "You are the greatest! I am sure you won't run off with my awesome magic sword after you find it.

Result Script: SetStage AAMyCoolQuest 99

Say Once box checked

Genius Here! ( or braggart :) )

Davids advice is excellent ( as always ), just one tiny error.

AddTopic Box: AddTopic AAMagicSword

AddTopic Box: AddTopic AAYeahSureWhatever

these should be

Choices Box: AddTopic AAMagicSword

Choices Box: AddTopic AAYeahSureWhatever

Have fun :biggrin:

Thanks, I figured it out after a lot of "WHY WON'T THIS WORK?! Arrrgghh!!!!!" but the conversation works now. I've run into the issue of the dialogue moving too quickly in the game but from what I've read there's really not much to be done about it. Breaking the response text up into short lines helps a little but it's still a bit too quick.

the only thing you can do is suggest to the people playing your mod to get ElysUniversal Silent Voice 0.93, i have never tried it, but it is supposed to help

http://www.tesnexus....le.php?id=16622

You can also use Tes4Gecko to generate some silent voice files for the mod.

I personally use Elys Universal Silent Voice (requires OBSE), but I also create the silent voice files for my mods with Tes4Gecko for those users which for whatever reason cannot or will not use Elys Universal Silent Voice.

I'm stuck on another problem with dialogue and for the life of me I can't figure out why it isn't going through. I've added a new topic to be used to purchase something at the Office of Imperial Commerce from the shopowner there.

The topic is set to be conditional on her and the quest stage, but I just can't get it to come up. Everything I've read tells me she should now have the topic available, but she doesn't:(

I've even tried adding the topic to her directly through the NPC editing window but it won't let me add anything.

I'm still stuck, have been for almost a day now and it's driving me insane. All I want to do is add a topic to a pre-existing npc after a certain queststage is reached, but absolutely nothing I've tried works! I must have read through 4 different tutorials and they each talk about adding it to an NPC that you've just created...but it should all still carry over to adding it to an already existing one right? Right?! :wallbash:

I'm still stuck, have been for almost a day now and it's driving me insane. All I want to do is add a topic to a pre-existing npc after a certain queststage is reached, but absolutely nothing I've tried works! I must have read through 4 different tutorials and they each talk about adding it to an NPC that you've just created...but it should all still carry over to adding it to an already existing one right? Right?! :wallbash:

Add the topic to the NPC in the CS and set conditions on it so that

1. id == your NPC, and

2. quest.getstage == stagelevel

That prevents it from showing up until you need it but you don't have to play with getting addtopic to work. :teehee:

Add the topic to the NPC in the CS and set conditions on it so that

1. id == your NPC, and

2. quest.getstage == stagelevel

That prevents it from showing up until you need it but you don't have to play with getting addtopic to work. :teehee:

I've tried, oh how I've tried...it's not the conditions that aren't working, it just won't get added to the NPC. Am I supposed to be doing it directly from the NPC edit window? Because right click, any click, won't work. I've tried dragging it into it...help me I'm so lost:(