Honour and Respect-dead and buried.

Vindekarr

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vindekarr, Silver, Surenas and some of you others: I am most interested in exploring this further. Although you have been mostly discussing the behavior of young people in the MMORPG community, doesn't it follow that this behavior has become more common and more accepted in their real lives as well. For me, this is much more the issue. The why of that is what is really of concern here. One can turn off one's game, as you have chosen to do Vindekarr (not that I'm suggesting you should be forced to), but many of us are being forced out of our school yards or our neighborhood streets because of the rude, unruly or worse behavior of some of these very same children. Don't get me wrong; I grew up on the streets of New York, and I ain't talkin' Park Avenue, ya know what I mean? But we read too much today about the bullying and the threatening that goes on in school. And of course we have gangs, etc. Who is disciplining and teaching these children? Where are their role models? I am the last person on this planet who would ever recommend censorship, but what are they watching on tv? We have young people on this very site who I have heard crying out for someone to listen to them. Where are their parents? And do they listen? What is becoming of this society when are kids believe that these games are real and that the behavior exhibited in them is ok? I guess I've ranted long enough, but when I saw Silver's post mentioning looking deeper into the real meaning of this behavior I thought I would take him up on it. Sorry for the rant.

Vindekarr, Silver, Surenas and some of you others: I am most interested in exploring this further. Although you have been mostly discussing the behavior of young people in the MMORPG community, doesn't it follow that this behavior has become more common and more accepted in their real lives as well. For me, this is much more the issue. The why of that is what is really of concern here. One can turn off one's game, as you have chosen to do Vindekarr (not that I'm suggesting you should be forced to), but many of us are being forced out of our school yards or our neighborhood streets because of the rude, unruly or worse behavior of some of these very same children. Don't get me wrong; I grew up on the streets of New York, and I ain't talkin' Park Avenue, ya know what I mean? But we read too much today about the bullying and the threatening that goes on in school. And of course we have gangs, etc. Who is disciplining and teaching these children? Where are their role models? I am the last person on this planet who would ever recommend censorship, but what are they watching on tv? We have young people on this very site who I have heard crying out for someone to listen to them. Where are their parents? And do they listen? What is becoming of this society when are kids believe that these games are real and that the behavior exhibited in them is ok? I guess I've ranted long enough, but when I saw Silver's post mentioning looking deeper into the real meaning of this behavior I thought I would take him up on it. Sorry for the rant.

time to grab the beatin; stick!

muahahahahaha

i myself am a good kid mainly because of karate

edit: granny, can ya break that up into like two paragraphs? my eyes got confused, and im a great reader

The babychild is crying, the babychild we call mankind. It is uncomfortable, it has all, and yet it has nothing. Latest shot in entertainment buiss is 3D telly. We can now have it ALL, in our HOME. We don´t have to wait a long time and only be entertaint a few times in a year. (No, I´m not off topic) Could we also have amusement parks in our gardens? For the children. Then we don´t have to take them on a tour once in a while. Could we have some electronic gismo to live our lives? Much easier. All entertainment, and no social live, no caring for each other, no love. Just "F*CK YOU" when somebody disturb our disillusioned materialistic dreams.

Oh yes the babychild is crying. Perhaps we should give it room, love and care for it. Remove some of the burdens of consumptions that lay on its shoulders, so it can once more be happy again. :confused:

i play guild wars

those of you who know the random arenas have experienced this.

people insult me for using an awesome skill called defy pain. gives me health and reduces damage

they insult me for using a self heal spell

and they insult me for winning or being better than them :thumbsup: makes me smile

But just because some of us are horrible at games we shouldn't be online trying to have fun? Some people really don't like getting sniped in the head repeatedly, even if you just happen to be really good at playing while we try to learn.

There is somethin' strange going on with this generation, grannywils. The border between reality and virtuality gets blurred for the first time. An ongoing process towards more and more violence, learned in the virtuality and executed - in the reality. The ability to communicate without the motivation to derive an immediate benefit from it gets lost and is understood as outrageous disturbance, to be answered aggressively. And aggression is always the prestage of violence, but now without any clear risk estimate cos there should be few saves somewhere for a reload of reality, if necessary. Unfortunately there are none. Illogicalness prevails. In this way I understand all this, probably wrong.

@ Grannywils I can only speak for what I find on this side of the pond, I've not spent enough time in the U.S to know if the issues are the same or not. I see more than one issue here. Children are given way too much freedom, they have rights but no responsibilities, you can't have one without the other or you get the mess we see now. There is no discipline in schools or at home, anyone who disciplines a child runs the risk of a visit from social workers, a group expert at destroying families. To afford a decent standard of living here both parents have to work, gone are the days of one bread winner and one at home looking after the children. People work hard and come home tired, the temptation to let the Xbox or TV entertain the kids must be a great one. We also have children having children, what chance do they stand when their parents are kids as well? Then we have an underclass of people, something that's appeared in the last 10 or so years, they don't work, they see children as a way to get increased welfare payments and larger social housing, of course they breed like rabbits and the state rewards them. Some of their children are near feral, not my description but the term used by a senior police officer.

I don't know what the answer is, we do need to make parents responsible but at the same time back off and have less interference from state. Personally I'd like to see the extra welfare payments limited to one child, have more then tough luck, you pay for them. I'd like to see social housing allocated on the basis of time waiting and then only to the low paid, not those who have chosen welfare as a career. I'd make parents completely responsible for the actions of their children, the child attacks someone, charge the parent(s) with assault, the child smashes something up then charge the parent(s) with criminal damage. I bet parents would take a hell of a lot more interest in what their children are up to than some do now. I would also like to see proper sanctions against the stores and parents that supply children with 18+ games and movies, it's obvious many children are not mature enough to do deal with the material.

I know what you all mean. I'm an older gamer, my Steam "clan" of a whole 4 people is called COG (cranky old gamers, we range from 35-40). We all play varying levels of online games but the behavior can be horrible. One of the reasons I gave up on WoW is from my bad experiences with some of the people there, although some servers were better than others. In my MMOs I still play (Global Agenda with no subscription fees, Champions due to foolishly paying for a lifetime subscription and City of Heroes/City of Villains which I renew annually but don't really play much), I solo or only group with friends. I play a lot of TF2 but almost completely on servers with low tolerance for behaving like an imbecile. I simply cannot deal with the attitudes and "me,me,me!" mentality of some players. There's simply no reason to be a jack-ass when a game is supposed to be a good time for all, win or lose. I'm normally pretty quiet in these games and despise some of the behaviors I have seen. My main voice chats being things like:"Spy behind you!", or:"Sniper far left.", instead of some of the crapola I've heard or seen typed in game.

Parents definitely seem too lax today which is a large part of this. Some of the things I've seen kids pull off in public, I wouldn't have dreamed of doing public or private.

On the bright side it does make slaughtering the vermin all the more rewarding.

My last online kill for what will likely be a long time just so happened to be a gamewinner. It was MW2, and that game replays the game winning kill. This little ten year old puke came charging up behind me with a shotgun while I was sniping, as I often do, I heard his footsteps, swung around, and put a throwing knife right in his throat. His corpse stayed balanced for a long hilarious moment, then toppled over backwards with the knife sticking out of his throat. I chuckled, good way to end it, but gods he was pissed.

The chat during the score screen read: GayBasher1447: GAY! GAY! YOU F***ING B******** YOU F***ING CHEATED! IM GONNA F***ING KILL YOU YOU MOTHER F****ER! YOU F***ING PIECE OF S***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU F*******T, YOU F***ING CHEATED!!!! IM GONNA SKULL ****** YOU B****!! IM GONNA F****ING SHOVE MY **** DOWN YOUR F****ING ***** Vindekarr(my general netname), cutting into his rant on vo: I didnt cheat, as a matter of fact I heard you stomping down the metal corridor, next time you try and sneak up on someone, try and actualy be sneaky. And as for the knife, if you actualy used a weapon other than the FAMAS, then you'd have seen all sorts of new gear. And FYI, it is NOT cheating what I was doing, you can dual wield any SMG, it just takes a perk to unlock.

This is an example of why I've taken atleast a temporary break. That and, the fact that a child destroyed one of my computers with coca cola, though he was force to pay for the replacement from his own pocket money.

I myself think children are so indulged, and their parents so overworked that they rely on a plastic box to entertain and raise the kids, is a major part of the problem. Another huge part is peer pressure and the human decay, Over time one negative cultural influence will grow, spread, and cause more, and after decades, you have an incredibly violent society, where it is considered "cool" to violently assault passing members of the public, and curse and scream and swear at any non family member, Children are herd animals and they obey an alpha. If that alpha says attack, they attack. Unfortunately that alpha will say attack a lot because he is afraid that he will look weak otherwise.

It may also surprise some of you to know I'm young myself. Im 19 right now. Soon to be twenty(in a couple weeks) The diference is that my parents gave me freedom of decision making aged ten, but also gave me constant guidance on morality, and the ability to freely ask for advice. It was the power to choose my own destiny, the knowledge that no matter what I chose, I would be supported and thus the lack of peer pressure, and the true freedom to be myself, that turned me into such an atypical youth. While all the other boys my age pursued females and attacked strangers, I studied drama and the english language. While they are unemployed. I have a full time job, the car I actualy wanted, and am well on the way to fulfilling my ambitions as an author.