Can not upload screehn shots to Dragon Age General Image Share

Spaceritual

1st successful test: here

I used a Hex editor and compared the original image to the output of the same image saved using MS Paint.

The difference is high-lighted:

I deleted this section and uploaded the modified file as noted above.

I will find other images and see if the indicators are the same (the stuff in between the indicators does not matter...other than for identification that it needs to be removed).

2nd successful test: here

The difference is high-lighted:

It appears the common identifier that it is a DA-specific image is always in the exact same location...the Decimal equivalent of "Exif..II" (45 78 69 66 00 00 49 49)...so if that hex key exists at the beginning in that exact spot, we have a funky DA image that needs some stripping. The 1st 4 bytes can be left alone and all the bytes after it until it reaches the other key indicator can be deleted. The 2nd key that says where to stop is the Decimal version of "..JFIF" (00 01 4A 46 49 46)

EDIT:

But like you said, may not be something to worry about at the end of the day...especially since how a binary search and edit of a file can be extremely intensive depending on how it is implemented and what functions are selected.

What I do is opening the DA picture in GIMP and then save it to another location as a jpg. Then, I can upload the new picture to Nexus :)

That is pretty-much what Dark0ne's tutorial said. It can be any image editor such as MS Paint, Paint.NET, GIMP, Photoshop, etc.

The more recent part of this discussion is how to automatically detect and correct the problem with the creation of the thumbnail on the server side (via code). I really don't like it when somebody takes a screenshot and uploads it directly without at least editing, cropping or simply re-saving to decrease file size but there really is nothing to prevent it from happening and as such, it will happen no matter how many tutorials are posted all over the place.

LHammonds

Processing Binary Files in PHP

Working with files in PHP

Not sure if you would want to use the bin2hex() function though. I was using a Hex editor to verify my findings and to find a pattern. It would probably just be a matter of converting the hex string you want to search for back to dec to avoid any conversions. Basically, if you are looking for hex value ABC, convert the hex value and use it as the saved search values rather than converting on the fly every time...no need for that.

LHammonds