The Moon or Mars?

Keanumoreira

The Moon or Mars?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you prefer to live?

• The Moon
    • Mars
    • I like Earth just fine
    • Is there a third planet to choose from?
    • How about one outside this Solar System?
    • Other
  2. 2. Why?

• Mars is better
    • Earth is better
    • I'm sick of the Earth
    • Mars appears exotic
    • Travel is my passion

I would just stay on our lovely planet untill forced to move on by a catalamity of somekind etc.

There are various issues about colonization of the Moon or Mars, but who knows, maybe in the future we can achieve a level of technology that will allow us to bypass those issues.

Maybe the better alternative would be searching for a Earth look-like planet.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we should really begin the process of making mars OURS as soon as possible.

The moon is closer sure, but there is more on mars, and if something were to happen to earth it would be less likely to be sucked in.

I love this planet, I really do, but we are powerful enough that we can take other space rocks as our own. Besides these other celestial bodies contain untapped resources, and we have been using the resources here for thousands of years so inevitably we will run out.

Besides, we are both powerful enough and foolish enough to destroy ourselves, so maybe we shouldn't stash all our eggs in one basket, ya know in case someone decides they wanna throw said basket.

I would just stay on our lovely planet untill forced to move on by a catalamity of somekind etc.

There are various issues about colonization of the Moon or Mars, but who knows, maybe in the future we can achieve a level of technology that will allow us to bypass those issues.

Maybe the better alternative would be searching for a Earth look-like planet.

It takes a week to get to the moon. and an estimated 9 months to get to Mars. Venus, the next closest planet, is a gas giant. Thus, it is either the moon or Mars.

So many choices? So little time? The first is debateable, the second correct.

There are no clear choices within our solar system. The moon is a barren rock, that only offers the prospect of unoxidized iron mining, and perhaps traces of water ( I am scepticle about the latter ).

Mars is likewise barren, offering what as a mining prospect? More iron and silica.....and water? The atmospheric pressure is below water's triple point and water ice simply sublimes into water vapor. The more water vapor the air contains, the lighter it is ( catch 22 ).

Temperature? Temperature measurements from the Viking landers range from −17.2 °C to −107 °C.

And no magnetic field to protect from radiation....yes an artifical one has been created in a lab....do you know how small it was, and at what expense of energy?

Terraforming is far beyond the scope of humanity at this point in time, and yes we are fast running out of the time we have left.

It the plan is to go to Mars it makes sense to start with the moon, it's a lot easier to get to Mars from the Moon than it is from Earth because of the lower gravitational pull on any vehicles bound for Mars.

It the plan is to go to Mars it makes sense to start with the moon, it's a lot easier to get to Mars from the Moon than it is from Earth because of the lower gravitational pull on any vehicles bound for Mars.

I would agree with that.

Keanumoreira,

What could possibly be different on mars, if we try to re create everything which is available on earth back at mars? it's an inchoate idea. even the possible scientific breakthroughs :woot:, are not worth spending budget. better make orphanages for orphans than to try to engender a paradigm of Horseshi* hoax. really, the ability to travel to mars might be a supercilious act for man, but being able to live on it? not until we run out of usable space for cities and houses, but earth capacious. no single specie reached this state without being destroyed after wards. o_O

now on moon? much ado about nothing. the moon lacks an atmosphere, therefore, you'll be living in a desert, ice cold at night :pinch: , grilling hot dogs at day :wacko: . so either you have to make a "FLOATING city for $ 9,999,999,999,999.99 :thumbsup: " to remain unaffected by the gravity from pulling you to the deep cold darkness of night and the burning light of day, because as you know, while we only see one side of the moon on earth, in a 20 day cycle on earth, it will be a half a day on moon, due to logical reasons. :down:

so all this hassle, for nothing?