• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the simulation were powered by ninjas? :ninja:

So we are all puppets like Sesame Street? That's sweet :woot:

Not just ninjas.

Atomic ninjas. :nuke::ninja:

The system is powered by atomic ninjas. :woot:

(Ok, now I'm being silly, but isn't that the point?) :teehee:

The point I am essentially making is that in order to create a simulation as accurate as what exists, you would need to go to such an excessive degree of calculating all the detail that it gets to the point where creating the simulation requires more energy and resources than just making it live. And similarly, even if you did spend all that energy on creating such a simulation, the result would cease being a mere simulation and instead become a universe in its own right.

@Vagrant

Yes..I agree with what you are saying. However the show brought up two points, of course they are out there but this idea is a bit also.

1) There may be civilizations/life forms that are hundreds or THOUSANDS of years ahead of we Earthlings. The technology they have could be astonishing. There universe isn't perhaps ours.

2) Perhaps the Earth and Universe exist as it is presented. However perhaps humans find a replacement for silicone allowing the microchip to continue to become small...perhaps on the molecular scale. What processing power would be available..perhaps it is a human...in the future making a sim of the past?

This idea is fun to discuss...and honestly...I don't believe in it...but I wouldn't put good money on it NOT being a sim either. There is more in this universe, Horatio. :P

The point I am essentially making is that in order to create a simulation as accurate as what exists, you would need to go to such an excessive degree of calculating all the detail that it gets to the point where creating the simulation requires more energy and resources than just making it live. And similarly, even if you did spend all that energy on creating such a simulation, the result would cease being a mere simulation and instead become a universe in its own right.

as you always choose your words intelligently when writing, it's unfortunate for me to disagree with you on this.

people with Schizophrenia experience hallucinations, that's all we know. they imagine things we (mentally normal as they say, but who knows) don't see, hear or smell, to a state so complex, they can believe, all done by the "overwork" | "misplacement of binaries" in their brain. does their brain need more resources than we do? not at all (they're crazy, anyway), a very good example of such a person is John Forbes Nash, Jr.. i think based on the books I read during my Logic classes, the word "Dream" would be a better substitute for "Simulation", we dream anything we want, anytime we want, and our only resource are the things we see (this might be good antithesis for the "Living in a Dream" Thesis, we have seen something to dream it)

although something like this is very inscrutable, it's like understanding (not finding) God (Not the God in the Bible), which is next to impossible, like a debate that never ends, everybody has a point, but they all differ.

Or we could be "someones" or "somethings" dream.

If/when this creature wakes up..................puff............we´re gone.................................. :blink: :sick:

that is kinda like the story of final fantasy 10, whereas tidus and jecht and auron i think is a dream and when the little kids wake up they all dissapear.

my memory of that game is vague i havent played in long time.

But it would be weird, if what we do all our lifes is all a dream and when some creature wakes up, and all we do is for nothing, as it all never happened.

as you always choose your words intelligently when writing, it's unfortunate for me to disagree with you on this.

people with Schizophrenia experience hallucinations, that's all we know. they imagine things we (mentally normal as they say, but who knows) don't see, hear or smell, to a state so complex, they can believe, all done by the "overwork" | "misplacement of binaries" in their brain. does their brain need more resources than we do? not at all (they're crazy, anyway), a very good example of such a person is John Forbes Nash, Jr.. i think based on the books I read during my Logic classes, the word "Dream" would be a better substitute for "Simulation", we dream anything we want, anytime we want, and our only resource are the things we see (this might be good antithesis for the "Living in a Dream" Thesis, we have seen something to dream it)

although something like this is very inscrutable, it's like understanding (not finding) God (Not the God in the Bible), which is next to impossible, like a debate that never ends, everybody has a point, but they all differ.

What if dreams, were updates to our programming???

Or we could be "someones" or "somethings" dream.

If/when this creature wakes up..................puff............we´re gone.................................. :blink: :sick:

that is kinda like the story of final fantasy 10, whereas tidus and jecht and auron i think is a dream and when the little kids wake up they all dissapear.

my memory of that game is vague i havent played in long time.

But it would be weird, if what we do all our lifes is all a dream and when some creature wakes up, and all we do is for nothing, as it all never happened.

Does live become more meaningfull as it is now. Death stops all your actions, and are they all for nothing? No, not at all. Your actions are still important for you, the ones you love, the ones that inflicts your life. What we do now has an impact for destinies later on

On topic. I was thinking the dream thing a little further. I suppose most of you know fractals? What if this dream/simulation is fractalising, i.e. that there will be more little universes, that are true copies, and the fractal grows all the time. Perhaps we exist too in other little universes. Reincarnation? I dare not say more. I will not have the topic closed due to religious discussions,

What if dreams, were updates to our programming???

Either way, we're screwed. However, if we take input from our eyes, taking the fact that some individuals never sleep even in a weeks period into account, and the fact that our dreams are formed by our sightings, thoughts And instincts we are basically defragmenting our memory in sleep, not updating, unless it is Divine revelation, Which can be an update towards select people.(an updated system is usually a better system, unless it's already a mess.)

Well, if you start tossing in mental conditions and some religious views of existence, then really you cannot debate much of anything without having first defined what reality is as it applies to all... And that is a MUCH bigger kettle of fish. All the more reason to accept that for all intents and purposes, whatever here is, it is the universe in which we believe we exist and is the only universe which we have any experience of. Ergo, it is real for us.