Neverwinter Announced for 2011

brokenergy

I thought that Atari and Wizards of the Coast are still fighting over the rights of D&D, till I saw this...

http://www.playneverwinter.com/

Yes, D&D lovers a new D&D game. But who is developing it? Cryptic Studios! So it's going to become another MMO by the looks of it, hope this is really worth it. :dry:

Cryptic is working on it and that could be a problem. Champions could be charitably described as tolerable, and STO was so bad in beta I never did take advantage of the offers I had from paying for a lifetime to Champions. After being involved with CoH/CoV for years, I have come to distrust Jack Emmert, and that game has actually gotten better after he took the Cryptic team away to work on these other games. It's a game to keep an eye on, but Cryptic needs to surpass both of their current 2 games to do the original game justice.

Jeez... MMO? As far as I remember the first Neverwinter game was Solid... I still have the Trailer made for it in my Baldurs Gate CDs ^^. Loved both NWN 1 and 2. And Expansions. Hated the DA stories after Origin... So I think I'm back on the Forgotten Realms Track... Good ol games...

Anyone know if this will be the 4th Edition of D&D? Mask of the Betrayer and SoZ were 3.5 I guess, and no real D&D games after those... If it's 4th will it have the Races and Classes added in NWN II and the Expansions??

Oh, and I guess after 100 years it's not under the rule of Lord Nasher Anymore :(

In this interview:

Interview with Jack Emmert about NWN game

They go over a lot of things about it. It's not an actual MMO from the sound of it, but more along the lines of the original NWN multi-player. It will be 4th edition (bleah), and will launch with only 5 classes.

It is still early in this stage but Cryptic has made MMO's in the past, so that's why I'm not really pleased. I really hope that they improve the 4ed but alas, my wish is not granted.

It is still early in this stage but Cryptic has made MMO's in the past, so that's why I'm not really pleased. I really hope that they improve the 4ed but alas, my wish is not granted.

Agreed. I'm not a big Jack Emmert fan anymore after some of things that happened in CoH/CoV and the shape of Champions and STO, and I'm at the stage where I'm really tired of MMOs. I'll keep looking at it over it's development cycle, but with a critical eye. The original NWN was a great game so I get the feeling that a lot of people greet this news with mixed feelings.

I really hate MMO RPGs. It's nearly impossible to have deep character development. And I just don't like 4th ed. Even if you like the new faster pick up and play style of 4th, it's hard to like the things they have done with the lore and stories of the Forgotten Realms campaign. It has struck me as though 4th was worked on by people who didn't actually like or give a damn about D&D or PnP RPGs in general. Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon, but I don't see how this could shape up to be anything I'd enjoy.