Fallout: New Vegas uses STEAM, but why...?

Stryfe23

You'd be surprised chronosmagus

I have really slow internet.

So I literally CANNOT use steam.

And my gaming rig isn't actually connected to the internet. My normal everyday computer is however.

I know so many people without internet and with slower internet than mine.

So really... Steam is just a let down.

It is NOT necessary.

Theres no defending it. It's not necessary and nothing anyone says can make it so.

A game is a game, validating it is a WASTE of time.

Validation excuse please?

and please don't bring piracy up... Because we all know that is not the reason. It doesn't stop nor slow down piracy... It never will.

It takes ONE person to pirate a game and others will download that copy.

So yeah... reason for validation on steam please?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realise that unless the system is exploited (which is often quickly fixed), it is actually not feasible to simply distribute Steam game files? I have a lot of games on Steam, including Fallout 3. Things like FOSE, work a dream I don't recall the Steam version of a game having ever prevented me doing anything that I would do with a retail copy.

I mean, at the end of the day you can *censored* all you like about Steam but it won't change anything, lol.

@chronos: the first one.

@KDS: You realize you don't have to download FONV, right? Slow internet shouldn't matter.

But KDS would have to dl the steam client updates & that can take many hours on a slow connection before even getting the chance to install the game.

Yeah that's what I was getting at, I shouldn't have to download steam itself and have to use it.

Like I've said, my gaming rig isn't actually connected nor configured to use the internet. And I won't be changing that just to play F:NV

Bethesda have no right to do what they did, I wouldn't mind steam being optional but having internet required to play a single player game is a completely wrong thing to do.

I agree for someone with fast internet steam is perfect and they shouldn't have any issues with FNV but for others such as myself, steam is not an option.

Don't forget the patches that will undoubtedly be released will need to be aquired via steam...

So yeah, I have no problems with steam... just steam for FNV and the need to have it.

Some of my friends don't have internet and are buying this game.

I don't actually know what they are going to do to play the game.

Yeah that's what I was getting at, I shouldn't have to download steam itself and have to use it.

Like I've said, my gaming rig isn't actually connected nor configured to use the internet. And I won't be changing that just to play F:NV

Bethesda have no right to do what they did, I wouldn't mind steam being optional but having internet required to play a single player game is a completely wrong thing to do.

I agree for someone with fast internet steam is perfect and they shouldn't have any issues with FNV but for others such as myself, steam is not an option.

Don't forget the patches that will undoubtedly be released will need to be aquired via steam...

So yeah, I have no problems with steam... just steam for FNV and the need to have it.

Some of my friends don't have internet and are buying this game.

I don't actually know what they are going to do to play the game.

I agree KDS my beef isn't really with Steam in of itself but with the "Steam exclusivity" of Steamworks

This whole activation thing is turning into some sort of demented joke, admittedly at the legitimate purchasers expense (literally).

What ever they come up with to stop the pirating of games will be defeated sooner than later if not immediately.

You are forced to have an internet connection.

You are told to "take your PC to a friends house that has internet if you don't".

You are forced to download and install 3rd party software.

Said 3rd party software (Steam) constantly monitors your software and hardware enviroment.

Said 3rd party software (Steam) customer support unreachable to the extent of being none existent.

Said 3rd party software is as relible as an ancient Skoda.

I'm a perfectly reasonable middle aged adult with scruples and I don't like being unreasonably dictated to.

And all this for a game thats going to cost about 20 quid something.

FOR GODS SAKE.

What else has these sort of conditions ?

Do you have to have pain in the pants 3rd party sofware to activate and use your new:

Book ?

CD ?

DVD ?

Blu Ray ?

Watch ?

Hifi ?

Car ?

Underkeks ?

Its going too far and the ones suffering aren't the game pirates, its us, the average joe's legally buying the games.

It Stinks.

Ultimately, the reason why Fallout New Vegas uses Steam is because Games for Windows Live is withering on the vine. That's pretty much it, other than the massive amounts of bad publisity they got when the DLCs for Fallout 3 got released and everyone really struggled with GfWL to get them.

Before you point out that you could previously get away without activating your PC games online with GfWL, I understand that as of Dead Rising 2, this is no longer possible, you have to activate online. I doubt Microsoft would be too happy with Bethesda allowing a method of modding it away, either.

Besides, Steam is probably the best DD service for modding out there. If something screws up, three clicks and the broken files should get redownloaded.