Noob Advice.

CrazyGeneral

so recently I have been trying to get into modding and have been following a tutorial I found online and I went though it and I have built myself a little cell to replace the choroll oak and crosier inn basement and I have run across a little problem I deleted the northarrow thingy and can't find it in the object viewer did I do something wrong or am I just being stupid. Also any general modding advice would be a god send.

so recently I have been trying to get into modding and have been following a tutorial I found online and I went though it and I have built myself a little cell to replace the choroll oak and crosier inn basement and I have run across a little problem I deleted the northarrow thingy and can't find it in the object viewer did I do something wrong or am I just being stupid. Also any general modding advice would be a god send.

The arrow object can be found in WorldObjects/Statics. I usually nav to Statics and hit "N".

Don't know whether you are aware of this, so forgive me if i'm telling you something you know, but the arrow sets relative North in order to match up with the quest arrow in the "outside" world.

In other words, take a note of the direction your cell door is in the adjoining cell and match your North marker to that, NOT the other way round. Sometimes newbies think they have to turn their inside cell to match North or they have to orientate their cell to match the outside cell. Much, much better to set your first cell piece to 0,0,0 in the editor and use the North Marker to make it match up. Soooo much easier to snap your pieces to a grid if you start from 0,0,0.

hope that helps.

General modding advice, the best I can give is to find yourself a Guru Lol !

If you can make a friend of a more experienced modder who will be generous with their time, you will go a lot further a lot faster. This way you can PM them rather than waiting in the hope that your post gets picked up. When I started several years ago I got ignored or got very short shrift and it kept me off the boards for years I was so intimidated. No question is dumb if you have searched for the answer and can't find it.

Regards

Well, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, I can likely answer them.

Meantime, here's some links to useful sites, and tutorials for what you're trying to do.

The Construction Set Wiki

Getting started with the CS

Building and Editing Tutorials

AI

Scripting

All of those have useful links to tutorials, as well as modding tips and tricks.

My nood advice?

Go crazy. Just read the tutorial, then go explore on your own without it. I only read the first 5 paragraphs of the tutorial, then ran merrily off and made a god item. Lo and behold it actualy WORKED!

Experiment, test, manipulate, and most of all, push the boundaries of what you can.