NPC / Creature sizes, can they be too small???

Corehound

Hey every1 :thumbsup:

I am in the middle of populating my personalized Millinium Falcon and I have created a small gecko NPC called Gebo by using a mix of "Pet_Gecko_Greenie - Cutie" (Author Master Tobias) and "Marts Mutant Mod - RC 6" (Author Martigen).

I wantet to make him a critter size creature, so I made him with a hight of 0.15, which makes him about the size of a boot, but he keeps sinking through the floor to about the waist when moving in "walking-pace" :pinch:

Is there a limit to how small you can make a creature / NPC in FO3? or am I just missing something in the design of the mob?

With best regards

Corehound

"Cry havoc and let slip the Corehound of war!"

dunno. but this is could very well be to do with the bounding box/ havok of the floor. it just may not want to go that small. i'm not exactly sure what you can do about that if it is a bounds thing. are you using set scale on it, or are you setting the scale for it in the creatures geck entry?

dunno. but this is could very well be to do with the bounding box/ havok of the floor. it just may not want to go that small. i'm not exactly sure what you can do about that if it is a bounds thing. are you using set scale on it, or are you setting the scale for it in the creatures geck entry?

I'm using FO3Edit for the re-sizing.

Wouldn't the "bounding box/ havok" effect all who walks on the floor?

With best regards

Corehound

the bounding box is stored in the creatures skeleton, so no, scaling the creature alone will only affect the creature, not other actors bounds. i guess the way its being scaled is making problems with it interacting with the floors collision/havok.

try setting the creatures scale in its geck entry/ and/or try setting it by setting scale after you place it in the render window, and double clicking on it.

you could also in have potential success playing with the havok of the floor itself. perhaps adding a bhkConvexTransformShape to the collision heirarchy, this seems to have an impact on the penetration depth of the collision object. so it may actually solve the issue on that specific floor.

I've tried seeing how small a creature can be before becoming "Broken" while ingame with the console setscale

I think the smallest I could go before they broke was about 0.2 but it depends on the creature also.

I was only testing on humans =P

I think you should try it out yourself

the bounding box is stored in the creatures skeleton, so no, scaling the creature alone will only affect the creature, not other actors bounds. i guess the way its being scaled is making problems with it interacting with the floors collision/havok.

try setting the creatures scale in its geck entry/ and/or try setting it by setting scale after you place it in the render window, and double clicking on it.

you could also in have potential success playing with the havok of the floor itself. perhaps adding a bhkConvexTransformShape to the collision heirarchy, this seems to have an impact on the penetration depth of the collision object. so it may actually solve the issue on that specific floor.

Okay thx for the reply :thumbsup:

Sadly I haven't gotten around to learning about handling creatures in GECK yet, so I guess I'll just leave it be for the moment, have about a gazilion other items on the plate as well atm, had kinda hoped this would be an easy side project, but I guess not hehe, I keep getting amazed by the complexity of these mechanics, once you have figured out how to do one thing another obstacle pops up :wallbash: can be a bit discouraging at times tbh :laugh:

With best regards

Corehound

I know next to nothing about this, but I think the collision for npcs/creatures is stored in the skeleton.nif instead of the creature.nif. Basically it's a really simplified version of the body mesh using very simple drawing primitives. You can actually see it in NIFScope if you enable Nodes and Havok in the Render menu.

All collision objects for the various body parts seems to have a bhkRigidBodyT block containing the value "Penetration Depth". Lowering that value for the feet/legs might help. BTW If you let the mouse hover above the label there is a description with some recommendations.

Or you could try putting a Collision Marker to "strengthen" the floor. It's a bit bothersome though if you want to let the creature roam the entire ship. If it's just for the Game Table, it's not too hard. BTW there are already a bunch of Collision Markers around the table sides. They don't seem to be thick enough to stop bullets though. I always get a bunch of bullet marks in the walls after a "game".