getting stupider or just more obvious? this year's bad games.

Vindekarr

That was nice to read. Interesting. Yeah, I totally understand what you have to say about Fallout 3 though. Many people don't like the look of the Capital Wasteland because it looks so dead.

I take it though that by saying "unmodded," you do enjoy the games (Fallout and Oblivion) when they are so. That's the amazing thing about both to me; there is Bethesda's imagined world, and then there is the player's. The player's world can be as happy, grim, deep, simple (and even a bit pervy) as he/she chooses.\

I'm no real PC gamer and I lack a good gaming rig; don't know many PC games either. I'll be sure to check your share of praised games out.

They're both exellent modded, two of the finest games in existance IMO. It's because Im free to do literaly anything I want, from saving the universe to giving Jaufre a bigger nose. It's the freedom of it that;s my favorite thing, freedom of choice and freedom of expression beyond virtualy anything. I can make it MY virtual realm, a place of my own without the dificulty of making myself a full video game. Even better that they share an engine, as a skilled modder can import from on to another, as the only real diference is the skeleton.

The gameplay is fun and easy to operate-the world is beautiful and the graphics excellent, it's not fair to judge FO3 and Oblivion unmodded, since modding them is the whole fun and purpose. These games are made to mod.

And if you like grim, bloody, rts/rpg type games, then you'll love Dawn of War 2, and it doesnt take much of a rig to run in either.

If you're looking for recomendations, I can also sugest The Witcher, and it's upcoming sequal, HAWX-2(best flight game I've ever seen) Burnout Paradise(best arcade racer I've ever seen) Dirt2 I cant recomend till the sequal comes out next year, but that's probably the best racer out ther, and City Of Heroes and Star Craft 1 and 2 round out my list-none of them require much of a rig save Burnout and Dirt and that's better on Xbox anyway(less awkward controls, console controls for both are superb, pcs are aweful)

What I didn't like about DoWII was just how they reused levels often. They had about 4 different levels per planet, then just blocked off or inverted sections to serve for the scenario. At least they were creative with the use. For example: The first level in the game is the exact same as when you go to kill Bonecrusha.

On the topic of video games, I think on an average (even movies) have gotten worse as of late. Ya you have a few outstanding titles but there is so many ones that just fail. It almost feels as if they are being dumbed down and every game is trying to cater to every gamer type. In my opinion game developers and plot writers should look at some of the amassing novelist for inspiration on how the stories should be, drive the game from that; or better yet have the novelist write the story. For example for a dark fantasy imagine if an author like George Martin (for those who have read his work know what I'm talking about) wrote the story for the game, it would surpass most games ever made and set a new standard.

Of course you will always have the crowd that wants quick thrills and no thinking, that's whats gears of war is for which if find a more appropriate relation to the Justin Bieber analogy.

vindekarr: On a side note I find it a little funny that all those things you say you hate about Mass Effect are even more prominent in the game who's forums you are posting in. While I'm not trying to argue against your points its just what I was thinking when I was reading your comments.

Dawn of War + Expansions

and

Dawn of War II were absolutely perfect.

I am not one for warhammer 40k or anything like that, but the video games always blooow me away.

Sections of books that I've seen posted on the web also go into great detail.

The story is so deep and dark you can actually imagine it even more while your playing it.

The expansion for Dawn of War II was probs one of the best expansions I have EVER played.

It fit so neatly inside the storyline of Dawn of War 1 and 2 that I couldn't help but enjoy it.

I didn't exactly like the fact they reused maps in DOW2 but the gameplay and the whole tactical part of it put it quickly to the back of my mind.

Everytime you go through the map it's actually different, different tactics make it either easier or harder due to it being unpredictable.

The AI was actually quite smart.

I also loved the other games that came out.

Fire Warrior for Ps2

Squad Command for psp

Highly enjoyed them and literally CANNOT wait until the next installment:

Space Marine =D (Not the most creative of names for a game I know)

The movie they are bringing out will hopefully be just as great called Ultramarines =D

But yeah you are right mcole,

Today all game developers are interested in is money and thus will make their game work with as many gamers as possible.

More people they get to buy the game, the more profit they make.

It's a shame really.

But it's true.

You see all those games where developers made it for only one type of gamer, Snipers for example and the games are only a year old and yet 99p in the shops brand new.

It's either put up with this or quit gaming basically. Developers made sure of that.

On the topic of video games, I think on an average (even movies) have gotten worse as of late. Ya you have a few outstanding titles but there is so many ones that just fail. It almost feels as if they are being dumbed down and every game is trying to cater to every gamer type. In my opinion game developers and plot writers should look at some of the amassing novelist for inspiration on how the stories should be, drive the game from that; or better yet have the novelist write the story. For example for a dark fantasy imagine if an author like George Martin (for those who have read his work know what I'm talking about) wrote the story for the game, it would surpass most games ever made and set a new standard.

Of course you will always have the crowd that wants quick thrills and no thinking, that's whats gears of war is for which if find a more appropriate relation to the Justin Bieber analogy.

vindekarr: On a side note I find it a little funny that all those things you say you hate about Mass Effect are even more prominent in the game who's forums you are posting in. While I'm not trying to argue against your points its just what I was thinking when I was reading your comments.

Thats a good point, but you cant mod mass effect anywhere near as heavily as Oblivion or Fallout. Their problems are insignificant since you will eventualy probably replace all the vanilla content anyway-but Bioware didnt make Mass Effect readily moddable to my knowledge, so I was stuck with the void of missing content, cover to cover.