DLC purchase advice

OpenWorldAddict

So, I just bought the base Fallout New Vegas game during one of the final days of the Steam Autumn sale. By that time, I had already spent more money then I wanted to, but when the sale of Fallout New Vegas came up on the daily deals, I just had to get it but didn't want to spend another 15 bucks or so to get the Ultimate Edition. So now I have the base game without any DLC, and that won't do at all. I will have to wait until they come on sale again during the winter sale or another time. Even then I won't be able to get them all at once. So I am asking for advice about if I could only get one or two, which ones should I pick up first.

Now, the most important aspects I am looking for in the DLC is:

Increased Level cap

New stuff that is added by the DLC to the base game. (stuff as in weapons, armor, recipes, implants, foods, etc.)

As far as the quests are concerned, if a DLC quests takes you out of the original game space and locks you in there until you finish that questline (like they did with "The Pitt" dlc for Fallout 3), than I will have no interest in doing that questline in the immediate future, and if that is all the dlc provides without adding more stuff to use in the original game space, then that DLC won't be high on my 'to get' list.

While I'm glad you realize the DLCs are a must I can't honestly single out one or another. I'm a bit old school with Bethesda's games and the true value in their DLC's isn't the quests or the skill cap unlocking - it's the mod requirements. In that sense I really can't single out which one has more awesome mods attached to it, sorry.

All four major DLC for New Vegas locks you in to a new play space till its complete. The 5th DLC is Gunner Runners which is mostly just new challanges to complete and new weapons to play with nothing really of quality. The 6th and final DLC called couriers stash is nothing more then all the pre-order bonus packs bundled into one and their pretty much items you will toss out if you mod your game.

So, I just bought the base Fallout New Vegas game during one of the final days of the Steam Autumn sale. By that time, I had already spent more money then I wanted to, but when the sale of Fallout New Vegas came up on the daily deals, I just had to get it but didn't want to spend another 15 bucks or so to get the Ultimate Edition. So now I have the base game without any DLC, and that won't do at all. I will have to wait until they come on sale again during the winter sale or another time. Even then I won't be able to get them all at once. So I am asking for advice about if I could only get one or two, which ones should I pick up first.

Just so you know, when New Vegas is on sale, it's usually discounted to the point that the Ultimate Edition only costs $4.99. Basically the price of one DLC at regular price.

Edited by ArekkusuStorm

well, unfortunately for you, 3/4 DLCs lock you in until you finish the main story line (If i remember right, most of them did for fallout 3 as well, not just the pitt). The only one that does not, is lonesome road. So if that is your main qualification, go with that one.

As for story, I like Honest Hearts the best. It not only introduced a lot of new content about the area surrounding New Vegas, but also answered a lot of questions about certain Legion members that shall remain nameless, on the off chance that you are completely in the dark about DLC spoilers.

Dead Money also answered a few questions about some people a companion may mention, and Old World Blues filled in even more blanks.

In Lonesome road, you learn more about the couriers past.

Dead Money is also unique in the fact that you cannot return to the area after you complete the storyline. Honest hearts you can, but I have found it a little pointless except to get a few odd challenges and weapons I may have missed in the playthrough.

Lonesome road has a bit of replay value, completing a few more achievements and finding different areas.

Old World Blues definitely has the best reason to replay and complete everything in the DLC however. There are countless areas to look around, a new home base, and a lot of challenges for you to complete.

All of them (except GRA, which has NO story and NO added areas, only a few new weapons and weapon mods) increase level cap by 5.

So depending on your playing preferences, I would suggest the following:

Story/Quest - Honest Hearts

New Weapons/etc - Old World Blues

Difficulty/skill required - Dead Money

Being able to return to mojave whenever you want - Lonesome road

Would save and get lonesome road last though as all the other DLC's refer to it.

Dead Money points to both Old World Blues and Lonesome Road

Old World Blue Refers to both Dead money and Lonesome Road

So Story line DLC best play though order is Dead Money -> Old World Blues -> Lonesome Road.

Honest Hearts can fit in anywhere in the story line as it really on refers back to the main NV Quest line with NCR v Legion back story.

Since order of storyline and spoilers don't really matter. Knowing what's going to happen doesn't change my reaction to it when I actually see it in game first hand. And because these game are so open-ended, and my character and circumstances might be totally different each time I encounter the story, so will my reaction to what happens will be varied. So, i think that Old World Blues and Lonesome Road will take priority first, the Honest Hearts and Dead Money. Thank you.

Edited by OpenWorldAddict