Why do we Debate

Corlan

Not to mention; it's fun. Debating and discussing is entertaining and rather stimulating. I often debate with friends for no other purpose than the debate itself, since it's so much fun. It's often less about the goal and more about the journey there.

A debate ideally is a form of inquiry between individuals with opposing viewpoints, which through a dialog of asked and answered questions stimulate critical thinking and eventually illuminate the topic in question. A dialectal method of debating often involves a point counterpoint exchange which pits the ideas of one versus the other in which one participant may lead another to contradict himself in some way, strengthening the other person's thesis. Theoretically a debate should lead to a consensus of opinion but in practice rarely does. A good debate will at a minimum, expose patently fallacious ideas or assumptions.

Aurielius (this is just a joke). You're not trying to suggest that one person is trying to tell the other that his points make him look like a Neanderthal, are you? (that was just a joke)

Well Granny if the shoe fits the Neanderthal in question....

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I had to be off the site for awhile [trying to bribe the DSL man (with chocolate chip cookies) to get us installed more quickly. Can't take this satellite and late night downloads very much much longer]. Neanderthals didn't wear shoes, but I'm sure if given the opportunity and enough time they might have come up with some lovely sandals to wear to their debating society dinners

This is not really a double post. Since Aurielius didn't take the bait yesterday, I decided to give a more thoughtful answer today. I pretty much agree with Balagor, as usual on this one. At least in my case the intent here is to get to know another's views and culture and to come to an understanding of how people feel. I originally come from New York City. I am accustomed to diversity, and I like it that way. For me it is most important for us all to understand one another and to be able to share our views. It is no surprise that we do not always agree, but to disagree in a somewhat structured forum is healthy and hopefully does help lead to a better understanding. Sometimes it may change another's views. But rarely. I long ago gave up really trying to change anyone's mind, but I do listen to everyone, and every now and then I actually do change mine. I believe Balagor is absolutely right when he says that many disputes and wars have been born out of ignorance. It would be so much easier if we would just talk to one another and really pay attention. Then we need to accept and embrace our differences and recognize that we don't have to be afraid of them but need to respect them. We can debate all we want and try to make our points and get to know each other. It is sure a whole lot better than shooting at each other just because we are different from one another.

Too Right Mate.

Even the most Narrow Minded person can be brought to light, even if some has really stupid and pretty retarded thoughts. Remember that in Your Mind it might be Bull Hunky and Trash, or Unbelievebly wrong, but there is always a Chance(No matter how little) that the Person might not speak out of Stupidness or Blindness, but Human thoughts, and if it makes sense to him, if you try to understand his words from his view, and try to think what makes another Human think so opposite than me, I believe that most Conflicts would be Solved.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I had to be off the site for awhile [trying to bribe the DSL man (with chocolate chip cookies) to get us installed more quickly. Can't take this satellite and late night downloads very much much longer]. Neanderthals didn't wear shoes, but I'm sure if given the opportunity and enough time they might have come up with some lovely sandals to wear to their debating society dinners

Granny I knew that you were older than I but I really didn't think that you knew Neanderthals personally, I'm quite impressed because you are quite spry for a 40k yrs old lady.

Granny I knew that you were older than I but I really didn't think that you knew Neanderthals personally, I'm quite impressed because you are quite spry for a 40k yrs old lady. - Gosh, what a guy, but I'm not all that spry, to tell you the truth (but I can still read, thank Heavens). Now why don't you have a crack at my more serious response. Although, I would imagine maybe you agree with most of it.

Too Right Mate.

Even the most Narrow Minded person can be brought to light, even if some has really stupid and pretty retarded thoughts.

Someone hasn't met or debated with a fundamentalist of any sort. :whistling:

I debate because it's good for you.

You run and walk to exercise and hone your body. So why note give your brain and ideas a good jog every now and then? And besides, it's fun,

On a more serious note, I have never nor will I ever stand back while injust or foolish bilge is spouted about, if I disagree, I'll let you know about it. Debating sharpens your ideas, makes them better thought out-all criticism does, and by really throwing yourself into them with all your zeal, you also express yourself and let loose your emotions, which is very good for you.

And besides, who doesnt like yelling at someone about which way up is or why BatMan would wtfpwn SuperMan

I think we debate because we all want to be the one who is correct. Doesn't everyone feel embarressed if we are proven wrong and have to say something stupid like "I stand corrected"? When we debate, we want to prove our ideas to other people, or prove their idea wrong.. well thats what I think, anyway. In this topic we're debating about why we debate? ITS A PARADOX! AN ENDLESS CIRCLE OF CONFUSION! :tongue:

Balagor and Grannywils have spoken for me yet again. Often, I'll read a post intent on commenting, but they have already spoken my mind. Such is the case here. I can only add that I don't enter debates intent on changing people's opinion. It's not my responsibility to alter the state of other minds and beliefs, either. That is a burden that I choose not to carry. I do however, seek whatever jewels of knowledge others have; whether in debate forums or through jokes; whether through stories or poems; whether they oppose me, or agree with me...knowledge is a power that I will not refute.