IDEA! Rustic hand-drawn Textures!

Nadin

One of the big appeals about borderlands is the hand-drawn textures, which looked simultaneously awesome, silly, psycho, and cartoonish. I was wondering if it would be feasible to do something similar with NV or F03? It seems--fitting.

I know this can be done. It's just a question of manpower.

There are several threads on various forums, trying borderlands style textures. there is also a pdf on the net from their dev team. it's about creating a unique look to a game, so as to stand out, art direction.

anyway Borderlands uses a special shader to get most of this effect.

the textures are a combination of hand painting and photo ref.

If it's about being unique, maybe it would be better to change other parts.

Maybe make it look like the generic 50's pulp sci-fi? That is to say, with the squiggly lines and "Oof!" when hit, Etc. Maybe in addition to hand-drawn textures or something along those lines.

It'll be interesting to see what can be done.

...anyway Borderlands uses a special shader to get most of this effect....

There are some experimental edge-detection shaders in the Oblivion Graphics Extender, I think. I don't know how easy that project would be to port to Fallout 3, but that would help with the Borderlands look a bit.

Oblivion graphics extender?

Sounds like something we need to port.

I haven't been following it or anything, but I think the project has been restarted a couple times and has never gotten past the experimental stage. Also, some of the features are already either included in the Fallout 3 engine or are already otherwise doable, like depth of field. It's been a few years since I have followed anything Oblivion-related, but I remember seeing some cel-shading effects for Oblivion, probably from this project.