• giants
    • other
  2. 2. why?

• more majestic, powerful, etc.
    • more central to game, fictional realms
    • more central to mythology
    • has more connection with my life
    • other

I love dragons because in a way they are so powerful, mobile and yet removed from the human realm. I mean winged dragons that can fly and even, hopefully, fly through space. Dragons emphasize to me not just powerful but age and intelligent and yet they often have a strong hint of mortal weakness, of humbleness, such as a greedy longing for gold or a narrow sighted arrogance towards other species.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted elves, since they are more connected to my life. They originates from the Northern mythology, I even believe they have existed in our woods. Reason why we don´t see them anymore, is because the have become rare as wolves and bears, after our forests decreased,

It really depends on the mood I'm in at the time; but since two of my three favorites have already been picked already (Iloved your reasoning Maharg 67, and yours as well Balagor), I'm going to go with Wizards. They have so many human characteristics, and yet are so powerful and mystical. Also fanciful and fun. I cannot help thinking of the recently popular wizards that were portrayed in the movies. However, I had read the Tolkien books years ago and had my own image of Gandolph burned into my brain. And of course Dumbledore is quite the guy, isn't he. But Merlin really has the mystical side of it all wrapped up for me. Not that it matters a whit, but when I saw the category I thought we'd be discussing Zeus and Aphrodite and such. I actually prefer these folks. Thanks for the thread.

I like the Cupacabra. It's mysterious, a ghost in fog. It comes, kills, and vanishes. The Chupacabra comes in the night and kills livestock, draining the corpse of blood and slaughtering with surgical precision mixed with animal ferocity, then it slips away into the morning mist and vanishes until it kills again. :ninja:

I also like the Shuck. Black Shuck-that'll send a shiver down the spine of any brit. Black Shuck, a ghostly black wolf that stalks the moorlands. Grim, and while not proven dangerous, terrifying-it really does have an ability to cause supernatural dread through it's very name when you're out on a moor. Being alone on a moor is normaly not frightening, just empty, but so much as mention Black Shuck(Black Mane in a mix of english and gaelic) and you can turn an entire group to shivering in fright-it really does put formost in your mind just how empty, just how large and just how isolated a moor is, like being on an island in a sea of fog. (Shuck > Cuck, gaelic for shaggy pelt, mane, fur.)

Another favorite of mine is the Malawi Monster. Ten dead. Smashed skulls, throats literaly torn out, bodies and faces torn and ripped beyond recognition. Attacked with strength, rage and hellish violence beyond human comprehention. A horrible monster that could have stepped right out of a horror movie. The Malawi Monster really did exist however. The dozens of injured and many dead-and the hideous violence with which they were attacked prove it's existance beyond a shadow of a doubt. And it's thought dead too. but for some time in the late 20th/early 21st(exact dates unknown) a horrific monster was on the loose in the african city of Malawi.

The beast was later claimed to be an abnormaly large, rabid Hyena. This doesnt make sense to me. Hyenas are the only animal species on the planet immune to the paralytic effects of rabies, so what's to say they would go mad from it either? Their bodies resist it quite strongly anf they're astonishingly resilient. I doubt it was a Hyena aswell because of the shear might involved. Whatever the hell got loose here, it was obviously either very, very angry, in a lot of pain, or insane. It ripped it's victims literaly limb from limb, not many earth predators are strong enough, let alone agressive enough, to do that.

No problem, I love researching mythology, and the sorts of creatures we come up with. I also really love looking at those wierd critters that though they have always been here, are strange enough that people at first mistake them for monsters out of myth and legend.

If I had to pick some of my favorite creatures from ancient mythology, aside from my old favorite Shuck, I'd have to say Lusca and Nidhogg.

Nidhogg is the norse mythical death dragon. Nidhogg lay buried at the foot of the tree of life. Eating slowly away at it's roots. One day it is said, Nidhogg will finaly gnaw it's slow but endless way through the last root and end the world.

The Lusca is a version of the mythical Kraken.

Below the thunders of the upper deep;

Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,

His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep

The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee

About his shadowy sides; above him swell

Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;

And far away into the sickly light,

From many a wondrous grot and secret cell

Unnumber'd and enormous polypi

Winnow with giant arms the slumbering green.

There hath he lain for ages, and will lie

Battening upon huge seaworms in his sleep,

Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;

Then once by man and angels to be seen,

In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die

A vast, monstrous octopus. What makes Lusca more interesting to me however is that apparently it could change colours. You really couldnt get much more perfect a predator realy. A 60 metre long sentient octopus that can basicaly turn invisible. Awesome in the true sense of the word. But also a favorite of mine because it's just one of those epic classics. Like the Hydra, like the Basilisk, like the Dragons. it's one of those beasts of myth and folklore that almost everyone has their own version of-a universal terror and parable that unites us all.

As a writer I think my choices would be with supernatural humans. They are endless fun as a writer. Because they give you almost limitless potential to create a world that people can immerse themselves in. By humans I dont mean, homo sapiens, I mean those groups that we can identify with and empathise with on a human to human level, like elves, dwarves, and wizards.

But really, if I had to pick one to BE, I'd be a wizard, then again, writers sort of are. :laugh:

A Simurgh is the oldest bird in existences in the history of Persian mythology. Her tale is told a thousand times by my dad on how she help Prince Zel and Rostam. She is powerful and help those in need. I could right more but I'm tired.

I also like the Pegasus, the power of a winged horse like creature, along with the unicorn and a horse like creature that has a fin instead of back legs and swims through the ocean (forgot name).

That they are related to horses, the beauty and power of them, somehow impresses me very much.

• 2 weeks later...

I see I am a minority, with my elves, along with wizards.

Perhaps you all come from more sub/tropical areas, and do not have the foggy forrests, with the silent morning dew dripping from leaf to leaf, and finally ending up moistering the nutrious earth. Or the sound of the silent wind in the tree canopys interacting with the sound of numerous humming insects, all accompagnied by the late afternoon sun.

No, the forrest is my home, my world. Elves it be. :sweat: