• giants
    • other
  2. 2. why?

• more majestic, powerful, etc.
    • more central to game, fictional realms
    • more central to mythology
    • has more connection with my life
    • other

I enjoy the idea of a demigod or demigoddess caught half way between true godhood and mortality. Are they outsiders to both, are they diplomats between the two or do the gods/goddesses use them?

Where do they fit in the order of things if at all? They have power but not overwhelming power. Perhaps they have more freedom than gods and goddesses.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see I am a minority, with my elves, along with wizards.

Perhaps you all come from more sub/tropical areas, and do not have the foggy forrests, with the silent morning dew dripping from leaf to leaf, and finally ending up moistering the nutrious earth. Or the sound of the silent wind in the tree canopys interacting with the sound of numerous humming insects, all accompagnied by the late afternoon sun.

No, the forrest is my home, my world. Elves it be. :sweat:

Balagor, you are not alone. I picked Wizards, and it was a tough choice. Dragons and elves, my other two favorites, had already been taken (elves by you). I love elves, for just the reasons you describe. I live in the woods, and love the trees. I wish that ours were a little more closed in, the way that you describe. But I am still happy here. Our wind is not so silent though. But we do have the humming insects and the humming birds, etc. I think we may even have some elves....:whistling:

I chose Dragons.

It's just the ONE thing I can't get off my mind even since I was a infant, I just felt more close towards dragons, every small portion of anything I make in a game references dragons in very little mysterious ways. I've always admired and liked them for as long as I've lived now, including the small figurines my sister has, and some of the books around the house we have that are about dragons or include them in whatever way possible.

They're in my dreams, my thoughts, and whatever I dream up on in a computer just happens to reference a dragon one way or another.

I also enjoy the art people make of dragons very much too, makes up a lot of great backdrops I tend to use.

If I had a chance I'd hug a dragon in real life and not let go...

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, I must confess it, I love nymphs running all sans clothes, beautiful and wild through the forests or close to the rivers. Also dryads linked to trees and sylphs high in the mountains. Beautiful, wild and perhaps even dangerous in more than one way. Like women but not women. Fascinating!

I like Lucaya. And by extension the concept of an elf like "almost human"

WarHammer does it quite incredibly well with it's enigmatic Eldar. Love them or hate them, They're a total mystery, an alien race as old as time that appears seemingly at random, always forshadowing some monumental event tha will shape the galaxy. They look just right too-they're ALMOST human, but not quite, meaning that you always, subconsciously feel a little bit wary of them.

I've written soemthing similar in my own novels.

Lucay look human, but close in they've got an almost palpable aura of alien-ness.

The true sort of humanoid archetype I love so much has an almost palplable aura of alienness. You see them as humanoid enough to have empathy with them, but on the other hand, they've got some visible, yet subtle features that mark them as not only diferent, but something a little unearthly.

Just take my Lucay for example, they look plenty human from a distance, but up close it's obvious that they evolve for a very diferent environment. Colourblind slit pupiled eyes, six hook tipped fangs, and point tipped ears evolved similarly to a dog's.

They look human, but also a bit predatory. But they also dont resemble any earth predator, this almost subliminaly gives them a sense of being a bit alien.

Because the master science fiction author creates a world first, then a race to dwell on it. And you can always tell when that's present. A perfect example is the Space Marines of WarHammer 40,000. Superhuman warriors that protect the Imperium of humanity from all kinds of monstrous threats, each diferent group looks and behaves entirely diferently-in a way that's entirely believable based on the world they are from.

Blood Angels for example hail from Nocturn, which has absolutely no visible light, they evolved the ability to see into the infra red spectrum. The Salamders evolved on a hideously hot, volcanic world bombarbed by ferocious radiation. They evolved hardened snake like scales, pitch black from an overpresence of UV rebuffing skin elements, and a reptile like body to suit their fearsomely hot world.

I grew up with the fascinating narrations of J.R.R. Tolkien wherein one easily gets lost in Middle-earth, literally transformed by grandpa to teach me some history dressed in awesome fantasy. So when we left the Promised Land to settle in the land of our forefathers, in a quaint Dutch village in the Reichswald Forest on the banks of the River Rhine, it was pretty much clear to me from the outset what creature I’d have to choose to play a fantasy RPG – a wood elf from Mirkwood Forest where the Great Anduin flows and one always has to count on sniffing Orc patrols from the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie, at the old trade route that connects the Dwarven stronghold Grand Dutchy of Erebor with the hard-drinking people of Bree, folk that is related to the gutsy Hobbits of the Shire beyond the Brandywine (no bridge so far, but a tunnel), as the legend goes.

Me and my men on a GPG Dungeon Siege test map in AD 2002

Great responses from other people have inspired me to add another post myself :thumbsup:

I love the idea of the damphirs, the antivampires, that have their own powers and who hunt vampires for the safety of humanity and the natural balance of forces. If every action has an opposite and equal reaction, the damphir is the reaction to the vampire, a balancing of forces.

Just as the wererabbit is to the werewolf, maybe!?

i voted..... !!!!!!!DRAGONS!!!!!!! for the resions listed below.....

• because there cool
  • because i have always had a deep connection to them
  • i invision myself as one
  • there sort of like gods... but there mortal....
  • every corner of the globe has there vertion of the dragon