[Updated] Nexus Trojan/Virus alert

Dark0ne

i use microsoft security essentials 2 protect my pc and laptop from virus and mal ware

I use Security Essentials as well, but these things manage to slip by it for me. Actually, last time it got hijacked or something. In fact, I think I probably got that Trojan from the Nexus.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh.. if you only get the virus from clicking on the ad. Then I'm good.

As for antivirus, I use task manager processes, and simple knowledge of what should be running. (Seriously though, I know my processes so well, I spot an intruder immediately)

Uh.. if you only get the virus from clicking on the ad. Then I'm good.

As for antivirus, I use task manager processes, and simple knowledge of what should be running. (Seriously though, I know my processes so well, I spot an intruder immediately)

Thats very courageous of you.

With all respect I would like to make a humble suggestion. You may want to re-evaluate your security processes. Knowing what should be running is great but many of these malicious programs now run in a stealth mode that doesn't display at all in the task manager or attach themselves to known system files and do their damage from there. You know what should be running but do you know the size of the applications memory footprint?

Would you notice if one of them was a few k larger than usual?

A quick read of this might be helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

Feel free to ignore my advice but I hope you see I gave it out of a spirit of caring and meant no offense or denegration.

You know what should be running but do you know the size of the applications memory footprint?

Would you notice if one of them was a few k larger than usual?

Although, I haven't noticed anything strange with my computer. I have received viruses, but they've stuck out like a sore thumb (It's rather hilarious when they try sneak in, and fail)

The only strange thing that's happened with my computer is a weird login, when I login completely (not unlock) explorer.exe just starts up as "Documents" no taskbar or anything.

All I have to do is end the process, and restart it. I don't shut-down or restart my computer often. So it doesn't bother me too much.

Other than that, I don't really have problems. If I do, I seek them out to the best of my abilities, and if that fails. I look online for help.

I've had a lot of noob moments, like when I got a virus which simply showed a blue-screen as a screen saver. So I would restart without clicking any buttons (Which turned off the screen saver). I friend of mine (he's a programmer) asked me to check my screen saver settings when I told him about it.

Anyway, I'll look into what you said about the memory footprint. I don't have a lot of processes running, so I won't have to memorize a lot of them.

The only thing I'm concerned with is not being able to pull up search results of any sort because the "Hurpaderp attack page" window comes up each time and neutralizes my search query. Thanks for the link for advice on getting rid of that.

And yes, I get the security implications, but I trust TESNexus as a safe source. It always has been.

First line of defense for me is AVG 9 and my firewall. Since I use the Firefox browser I use a plug-in called AD Block Plus which blocs ALOT of adds and pop ups out there. Plus I can easily add my own filters for blocking some adds that do get threw. If my system does get infected AVG is good at detecting it and if it doesn't get rid of it I have a few programs that will, such as kill the process of the infection and I can actually erase anything from my hard drive at to just 'deleting' it. It takes some time getting rid of an infection but I am pretty thorough about it.

Pardon me, if anyone's already posted this. Google is still listing the site as an attack site, and Firefox isn't letting me through to certain pages. Those of us using Firefox, will still get improper warnings until you go through the steps and have Google review and unblock the site once more. :(

I had the same problem with my blog, and had to go to the Google site, sign up as a web developer, and follow many steps before they'd unblock me. (This had to be done after I cleaned the infection from my blog.) Hope this helps, and hopefully it'll be sorted out in the next day or so. Good luck!