Self Impossed Challenges For Oblivion!

Xeivous

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not possible, as far as I know, to "beat" this game without, at some point, killing someone, even if you decide to forgo the various quest lines where killing someone is required. However, I've used this little challenge on a number of specific quests and when entering certain "dungeons". The last was Vilverin, with a new character. I installed the Bag of Holding mod and my challenge was to get it and get out of Vilvervin without killing any of the NPCs in the ruin. If I could, then I could keep the bag. Unfortunately, I had no way to get past Jalbert without killing him by the time I got to him ... so, no Bag of Holding for me.

I think I've only used three potions as long as I've been playing this game, except for poisons, so that's not much of a challenge. I collect the danged things, store them away, and tend to forget about them. Same with scrolls. I think a lot of that is because I tend to play stealth-based characters and seldom actually get into a situation where I need to heal or buff up using magic. That was, in fact, a "challenge" I made for myself when I first started playing this game -- to create a survivable character in a game that seems designed mostly for magic-using and sword-swinging characters, that would be centered upon what seemed to be the weakest option ... the "thief".

One long-term challenge I've taken on is to never get caught doing a crime so I never, ever, land up in jail or have to pay a bounty. In all my play-throughs, so far, I've only wound up in jail once and paid one bounty, and both of those were in the same game. When your characters tend to be based upon the idea that breaking the Law is the way to make a living, I think that's a proper challenge.

I usually set a personal goal to acquire and fully "upgrade" every Vanilla PC abode, including those from the official plug-ins. There's really no reason to have a house in every city, unless you have to store a LOT of stuff, but it makes me manage my finances very carefully. I just wish there was a perk of some kind to accomplishing this, like teleportals suddenly appearing in all of them so you could teleport between them, once you have acquired and upgraded them all, but there isn't.

In my next game one of my challenges will be to increase immersion by never using fast transport. I'll also be installing some mods to make ordinary travel more dangerous, and I'll have a survival mod that will require me to eat, drink, and sleep or suffer the consequences, and another to make combat more risky. On top of that, I'll be playing a Stealth-Magic based character, rather than a Stealth-Marksman based character like I prefer. Since I won't be using any companion mods (I hate "companions") and will go the route of walking instead of riding a horse, I expect to die. A lot. It should still be a fun and interesting exercise, though.