Help needed with "Alternate Texture" settings in FO3Edit!

Corehound

Hey every1 :thumbsup:

Can any1 tell me what the "3D Index" represent? :confused:

Example from Chinese Jumpsuit:

I am working on a mod that will add a custom texture to an armor, as I only want the change to be added to this specific armor without having to include an extra mesh, I thought this might be the way to go, but I got stuck at this part, so any help would be much apriciated :happy:

With very best regards

Corehound

"Cry havoc and let slip the Corehound of war!"

This is a guess from me:

If you look at the armor in geck, you see the mesh and in a list on the left are all of the different pieces, which you can double click on to choose the texture set. I am guessing the 3d index there corresponds to different pieces of the mesh.

May I ask why you are doing this in fo3edit and not in GECK? Seems like it would be a lot easier.

This is a guess from me:

If you look at the armor in geck, you see the mesh and in a list on the left are all of the different pieces, which you can double click on to choose the texture set. I am guessing the 3d index there corresponds to different pieces of the mesh.

May I ask why you are doing this in fo3edit and not in GECK? Seems like it would be a lot easier.

Tbh I do all my ESP and ESM work in FO3Edit as I find it to be a much easier program to use then GECK, so instead of using two different programs I stick to FO3Edit, also much easier trying to master a single program instead of two :wink:

Furthermore my experience with GECK is that it is a very unstable program, that often freeze when trying to move the different windows, it uses quite allot of memory :(

With regards to the armor mesh, do you know if the numbers will be the same if you open the mesh in NifSkope? or is it only possible to view these numbers correctly in GECK?

With best regards

Corehound

Okay got it working now :thumbsup:

In the end I had no choice but to use GECK, as the 3Dindex data is not apparent in NifSkope :pinch:

Anyway thx for the tip, saved me allot of sweat and tears :happy:

With best regards

Corehound

In the end I had no choice but to use GECK, as the 3Dindex data is not apparent in NifSkope :pinch:

I could imagine that the index is the order of the blocks are ordered in nifskope. I believe this also corresponds to the order in which they are listed in the GECK, for optimization I always appropriately name the various mesh objects UpperBody when I want to disable the 1st person rendering. I should probably be using the ":" with a suffix to differentiate them< I think that works :shrug:

with 5 mesh objects all named upperbody, it ends up trial and error find what is exactly is what.

I could imagine that the index is the order of the blocks are ordered in nifskope. I believe this also corresponds to the order in which they are listed in the GECK, for optimization I always appropriately name the various mesh objects UpperBody when I want to disable the 1st person rendering. I should probably be using the ":" with a suffix to differentiate them< I think that works :shrug:

with 5 mesh objects all named upperbody, it ends up trial and error find what is exactly is what.

Actually the index order of NifSkope and GECK are not even close to being identical :wacko:

And yea you need to be very careful with the naming of the parts, as the program will often think items are related and manage them as if they follow the same "bone" when they have the same name :biggrin:

With best regards

Corehound

All the naming conventions in outfits are there for a reason.

Upperbody should disable rendering that mesh object in first person. Arms, Hands ect are force rendered. The pipboy and meatcaps are obvious. you will probably shouldn't find any other object names other than those in vanilla nifs.

But in theory you could name the mesh object anything at all, baring bone names, this is what I can only imagine would account for that behavior you mention. If using any other naming convention except UpperBody, Arms, or the specific pipboy/meatcap objects, you might run into issues depending on the particular circumstance.