Need some help with the GECK

Elric42

I posted this on the Bethesda GECK Forum as well, I hope that's not an issue, just have spent a lot of time on this mod and trying to post in both places to find the best answer.

Hello, I'm new here, though I've been lurking a whlie however I've stumbled on some problems I need some assistance with.

I've been working on a mod for about 8 months now and have over 600 hours into it. I've made 17 new safehouses (all of which your followers can be sent to) Several new companions, Some gathering areas to mine Copper and gather Flax, Cotton, Water, Bark, Hides, etc for Armor and Weapon creation, lots of new crafting types (many many many new recipes) etc. Currently I'm working on a 50 stage Arena. Anyway, onto my issues.

1) I've changed all companions (in scripts and dialogues) to Humanoid/Critter in Party = 2 (instead of 1) and <2 (instead of zero)

Everything seemed to be working correctly, I can now have 2 Humans and 2 Critters with me. The problem is that for some reason, if i fast travel or COC one of two of the companions just starts running for no reason upon reaching my destination. They take off and then disappear, if I wait (T) a few hours they will come back, however, I'd really like to know how/why this is happening.

2) In Nipton for some reason the Lotto guy nor Vulpus appears anymore, the rest are there but those 2 are not. I have checked in NVEdit and saw no conflictions here at all, I haven't done anything to Nipton. (likewise, one of the 2 powdergangers in the Legion camp for the Booted quest doesn't allow me to untie him and instead asks what I need dispite having never edited him and meeting all the same conditions that the other has.)

3) I created both a Alien and a Deathclaw Companion, and built their scripts/packages/dialogues/conditions the same way as I did with one of my human companions that I made (of course substituting the appropriate Critter things, etc) However, when I send either of those 2 Critters to one of my safehouses they don't walk around, for the most part they just stand in place. I was able to counter this by making a patrol for the Alien (havent done so for the Deathclaw yet) and he follows it, but I would honestly rather have him walk around on his own as the Sandbox Package tells him to.

4) I tried to turn my .esp into a .esm with NVEdit, however everything I have in the worldmap (not interiors) doesn't display at all when I do so, did I do something wrong? As an ESP it works fine.

I've Navmeshed all my custom areas and have done quite a bit of testing. However, basically everything I learned in the GECK was from general programming knowledge I have as well as looking at how things where done in vanilla / other mods. I'm thinking maybe I overlooked something...

I downloaded the GECK 1.4 PU yesterday and tried that and am also a bit concerned that it kept coming up with errors that I never saw anything about in NVEdit. Though most of them were from Vanilla issues for some reason.

To anyone who took the time to read this I thank you and to anyone that can help I thank you twice. I normally don't do the whole forum thing (probably the same reason I've spent 6-7 hours a day for months on this mod and never asked for help with anything) as I'm a bit of a hermit online and off. However, I am really disheartened by what is going on and am reeeeeally hoping someone can help me out with these issues.

If anyone willing to help me out needs a copy of my ESP or a script to view or anything, I'm more than happy to provide it.

Edited by Elric42

I don't know if this is much help, but I'm pretty sure that when this happens they're trying to get back to the player character because they don't realize that they have fast traveled. Probably not enough time for all the scripts to fire off with multiple followers.

Usually happens to me when I fast travel with two or three companions. One will run off in the direction we came from, but runs back after realizing where the player character is. Maybe five seconds not hours though.

Everything helps :) Thank you from the response. I'm inclined to believe this is exactly the issue since I was just told the same thing on the Bethesda forums.

I was able to Solve Problem 2, and I will cross off the one about the companions as well, although it's not fixed, it's not necessarily gamebreaking.

• 1 month later...

I've seen problem 4 before, and I think it's an existing issue with something rather than anything you did wrong.

I remember using a Fallout 3 mod a while back, and objects in exterior cells all moved randomly or disappeared when I made it into an esm.

I seem to remember reading in the mod's comments that it was a known problem with esm conversion.

Not sure if there's ever been a fix for it, could just be a case of using a different program. I'm sure there's more than one it can be done with, hope this helps.

I have a large number of companions and this happens a lot, they run off back in the direction I've fast travelled from and then suddenly realise where I am and come back, I just carry on now in the knowledge their brain will catch up at some point and rejoin me. The esp thing is odd, I enable and disable the esm flag a lot and haven't had this issue, I wonder if there's something odd going on with your FNVEdit? if you put the file here I'll apply the esm using mine and then you can see if it works, that at least will rule out your FNVEdit.

When you convert the mod into an esm with the current FNVEdit it may not restore the ONAM records. The current alpha/beta will work properly if you search google a bit for it. As always, back up your work before editing it. It would probably be a good idea to load and save the .esm in GECK after converting it, and I highly recommend you do so with Power UP installed as it allows editing esm's. Otherwise it may not work. This SHOULD solve your problems with things disappearing.

Think of the messages you get mostly from powerup as compiler warnings, they may or may not be errors, and many of them are with the vanilla files. There is an additional error suppression plugin you can add that allows you to suppress the most common warnings via an ini file.

If you want some help doing that I can take a look at the esp for you. Just be aware that if you have voiced npc's that you'll have to change the folder name for voices to reflect that the plugin is now an esm and not an esp.

If you edited any navmeshes from the game it really should be an esm as the degradation bug is still present in the NV engine.