Honor Codes/Systems

AliasTheory

As someone who is looking into the engineering profession, the topic of honor codes and systems were brought up. I don't want to say too much so we can all debate about this and after all, the idea of honor codes should be a fairly easy one to grasp:

An honor code or honor system is a set of rules or principles governing a community based on a set of rules or ideals that define what constitutes honorable behavior within that community. The use of an honor code depends on the idea that people (at least within the community) can be trusted to act honorably. Those who are in violation of the honor code can be subject to various sanctions, including expulsion from the institution. Honor codes are most commonly used in the United States to deter academic dishonesty.

~Wikipedia

But here is the question: do we really need honor codes and systems? Do they really work and motivate us to work productively and honestly, or maybe not so much? Or even not at all?

Sure got a kick out of the two hour debate on this today since the sparks were flying everywhere; I would like to see some intellectual minds duke it out here. :)

In all the various groups I have ever belonged, there has always been a code of honor of sorts. From modding, circus, magic to dancing. The etiquette is almost always evolved collectively from the common practitioners, rather than imposed by some outside influence. In a sense you don't need them, but they have to exist unless that community dissolves or something. It's part of it.

there is no modding without modders. And a generally a common view/code emerges from those modders. And most modders will follow that code. Some don't, so they'll steal other modders work. then get banned from the nexus. :biggrin:

there is nothing stopping anyone from dishonest actions in regards to the groups they want to belong, but in all honesty, that would be just silly. Trying so hard to be down with a click, then not respecting the code, you might as well just do something else. :yes:

A code of honor to me is only any good if it's logical. If you end up doing something utterly pointless due to honor, there's no purpose and it's a wasted effort.

Some of the honor codes modders follow have a point to them. Clean your mods, give credit where due, etc. There's no pointless little bits like "Name it with OBL as a prefix so we know it's for Oblivion.".

The good ones are.

1. We to eat food to survive.

2. We have no food.

3. When someone dies, we eat them for nourishment.

Is that really "good?" To you and me, probably not. Good in the fact that being correct is relative? Sure.

Morals need logic but can't be entirely so. This wasn't my initial impression of "good" but in this context you're right.

The honor code of an organisation (it's never an inhomogeneous community) always presupposes the absolute submission under the established code by the members to avoid internal punishment. I doubt that this is just another word for morale.

An honour code is something we are born with, and it does not necessarily need to be a written one. The honour code will differ from country to country, culture to culture, but will always be basically the same for all who live within this culture,

As you mention however @AT, an honour code is strongly linked to our sense of morale. This can be lifted into other planes depending of the situation. If necessary we have to bipass our morale, thus breaking the honour code, but it is not necessarily bad.

We do not use written honour codes in DK, btw.