What Happened

Dark0ne

For those people who want an explanation:

Gaming Source was set to move all major sites over to a new server which had dual Xeon processors (which is infact 4 (four) processors) which would decrease server load and increase viewing speeds. I was told the change over would be quick, seemless and happen over night while I slept. Basically I had to do nothing - sounded good.

So, server move occurs, I'm told by the admin of the network I'll have to transfer all 68 sites over to the new server by myself. At this point I'm a little annoyed - after all I had been told it would be quick and all done for me. This isn't a manual task, it just requires an always on connection and about 12 hours of my time to leave the connection going while CPanel transfers all packages from the old server to the new one.

Then the errors occur.

Now, some packages transferred fine, others took a little debugging and (typically) the two biggest sites, Mafia Source (http://www.mafiasource.com , still not up) and MWSource would NOT transfer no matter how much I did. It took me 2 days to work out it just wasn't going to transfer by "conventional" means.

So I've spent a further 2 days learning SSH/Shell (which is a command driven user interface, like DOS in look) so I can backup the two sites and move them to the new server.

Which brings us to this point. SSH and screw a server to server heaven (or hell) if used incorrectly, so we had to make sure we were doing it right.

There you go. Time to sleep.

Wow. Well, thanks for telling us, and for going to all that trouble Dark0ne! Though if you could at least maybe tell the Mod team what's going on next time, that would be nice ^^

*Ducks as Dark0ne throws a chair at him*