My future rig-a question about its specs

kiro1545

Here's why Nvidia are better than AMD:

nVidia has the advantages of lots of superior nVidia proprietary features like:

* CUDA cores (Compute Unified Device Architecture)
* nVidia GPUDirect and nVidia PureVideo HD 1080p, an nVidia hardware feature designed to offload video decoding processes and video post-processing from a computer's CPU (processor) hardware to the nVidia's GPU hardware, used in all series GeForce 6 and later and GeForce M for laptops
* PhysX (a proprietary realtime physics engine middleware SDK)

All those features lack on the ATI/AMD cards...

What all that translates into, is more stress put on your CPU to compensate when using an ATI/AMD card, and degraded overall performance in games and other graphics intense applications.

That's why AMD uses cheap tricks such as putting the GPU on one board (what they call dual graphics) or creating the AMD APU series processors (an all-in-one CPU+GPU) in a desperate (and failed) attempt to compete against an nVidia GPU from the same price range.

* nVidia GPUDirect and nVidia PureVideo HD 1080p, an nVidia hardware feature designed to offload video decoding processes and video post-processing from a computer's CPU (processor) hardware to the nVidia's GPU hardware, used in all series GeForce 6 and later and GeForce M for laptops

What all that translates into, is more stress put on your CPU to compensate when using an ATI/AMD card, and degraded overall performance in games and other graphics intense applications.

That's why AMD uses cheap tricks such as putting the GPU on one board (what they call dual graphics) or creating the AMD APU series processors (an all-in-one CPU+GPU) in a desperate (and failed) attempt to compete against an nVidia GPU from the same price range.

That's just marketing. AMD has their own 'unique' features.

That's just marketing. AMD has their own 'unique' features.

like ?

AMD are cheaper for a reason, they have less power by a little. They are better in some games and worse in others. Normal. Do you expected to have something cheaper with even more power? This is the real world, this never happens.

There are many high end builds made with them and there are many people who have no problem with them what soever with good cooling and a well made PSU, and everyone should have that anyways.

GTX nine hundred series cost a lot, but R9 cards have little less power and much cheaper in the other hand by almost $200 bucks in some cases. You can buy them and still have money to spend on other parts that you should never need to upgrade expect way later like the case, cooling, psu and the motherbaord. The best part to buy last is the video card, because prices keep on falling and updates keep on coming. It a win-win. He can buy a 280x now and save for gtx 990 4 gba later while he games at high setting in many titles with a heavily modded skyrim already.

You can say it the best for someone with a budget and still wants some horse power. This will give him some money to buy a better parts. You should only cheap out on video card and nothing else.

And AMD has some features that pretty much the same but with different names. They can't have the same names, or things that work the same way. Some kind of law thing.

Anyways, let focus on giving the guy/girl the best choices around.

Edited by Boombro

Except for that awful GPU, build seems fine.

You'll need atleast 3-4GB VRAM and something close to 270X or 760. ATLEAST. These days it's easy to find a cheap 290X. Or if you prefer NVIDIA you can go 970. If these are out of your budget you're gonna have to wait for 4GB 960Ti, coming really soon. Specs are released already.

There is another rig that i like.It has the same specs,but its with a gtx 970 4Gb and a SSD 128 Gb.It is 200 $ more,but i think it's worth it.I forgot to mention that im gonna buy a rig in the summer.Im just asking around.I hope since the gtx990 is coming out the rig with the gtx 970 will become a little cheaper.Also,do you think that a SSD is worth it?It adds a 100$ bucks on top,but all the rigs on the market are with it.I personaly dony like it very much.I heard that it only cuts loading times Edited by kiro1545

Also i forgot.Why is the GtX 745 so bad?It has 4gb vram,which is not little.I know that is ddr3,but surely it cant be that bad,can it?

Card is very slow, that's why. If you compare to let's say :

GTX 970: Memory Bus: 256 bit (DDR5 / 2) = 128 x 1753 MHz (memory clock) = 224 GB/s

GTX 745: Memory bus 128 bit (DDR3 / 4) = 32 x 900 Mhz (memory clock) = 28.8 GB/s

It is about 10x faster, and if you have a chance to get 970, go for it.

Just stay away from 745.

Edited by ForgottenB