TES5Edit How to know which mod to clean and not to?

PlagueWarden

I'm completely with Lofgren about this. Would you let someone who has no idea about your settings "clean" your computer? Or your game?

I still use a bunch of saves from an over 2000 hours game with 220 mods running besides my own. I never cleaned my update.esm (and it DOES need cleaning when you check it with TES5edit) nor my DLCs, I only ever cleaned one mod (again, besides my own) and only did that after contacting the mod author. We all run our games with a whole bunch of undeleted references and dirty edits, many of them being Bethesda's in the first place - and it still runs fine.

I agree that some mod authors are not very thorough about cleaning or testing their mods, but then chances are that there will be much bigger errors on top of the ones TES5edit can detect and these mods are best kept out of your game. If you get CTDs because you realize a mod deleted a Vanilla reference, why would you want to keep that mod in your game?

Unless you know exactly, and that means in EVERY details, how a mod has been designed and how it works - your tempering with it has every chance to break it and make your game worse. I'm about to release a mod where I completely re-navmeshed some cells which were horribly navmeshed in the Vanilla game (unacessible places in Vanilla, like some mountain tops). TES5Edit will show this (in appearance) as "dirty" edits, even though I never deleted anything, I just moved it out of reach. If some user thinks he has to "clean" that, he will simply restore the Vanilla broken navmesh and deleted islands - and break my mod on top of it. I'll be careful to strongly advise against it.

If you're very experienced with the CK, it's ok to clean a weapon mod that unintentionally replaced a Vanilla weapon - but beyond that, I wouldn't touch anything before contacting the original mod author's first.

I think the lesson here is to leave mods alone unless you are either really brave or really know what you are doing. I cleaned my DLC's per gopher's instructions, and did notice a difference in the stability of my game. Plus, the CK loads quicker with fewer warning pop-ups. But beyond that, I've never cleaned anyone's mod as I've learned what my limits are as a modder.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I allow myself to follow this topic because even after reading all of yours comments, I'm very confusing about cleaning or not a mod... I experiencing CTDs and i'd like to eliminate the most of the reasons possibles... I've 210 mods and i ALWAYS read readme files, raise memory to Skyrim, etc., etc...
It'll may be worth to open a topic on which mod have to be cleaned or wich one does not need/have ?

We may say that the 3 DLCs can be cleaned, right ? :)

• 4 years later...

I had the same question, so I found this thread. You guys offered some good input, but were a little heated in the comments-- I decided to try to figure out whether I needed to clean some mods with deleted references, so I went back into SSEEdit.

After you choose the suspected mod in SSEEdit, for me I just focused on the 5 with deleted references, you can navigate through the tabs on the left. If you right-click and of these tabs, it allows you to check for errors. So far, I've had 0 errors

If you guys have any advice about how I can speed up Skyrim's launch time, that'd be nice!

You clean a mod as a last resort before you have to remove it due to log errors. Myself I think that's just bad programming. As a mod maker you should be cleaning your mod as you go.
As far as un-deleted references there is an easy trick to that. When creating your mod if you delete anything you've added ... just save and reload the mod in the Creation Kit again and it will clean itself up.

There are a few different errors we are talking about here ... The un-deleted errors are really not that big of a deal. It's the ones that light up one of the default Skyrim .esm's.
If I see a conflict with a Skyrim .esm (it's also highlighted after the scan) that mod goes right to the trashcan. If the mod maker made that mistake you just can't trust the mod anymore.
It's not to hard to create content without changing the default .esm's. In fact that is key not to do that. I know that may sound a bit harsh .. but on the other hand ... I never crash.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is not to really use TES5Edit to clean your mods but more to see if they made the mistake of a .esm conflict. If so ... to the trashcan.

"How can you know if a mod deletes a vanilla reference?" A default .esm is highlighted after the scan. Trashcan time!

Edited by NexusComa