The upcoming avatar upgrade

samroski

I've taken a lot of time during character creation to get my characters looking just right... so I will certainly miss them, and I'm not too happy at having to get a makeover for all of them :(

Also, looking at the images in the dev blog... sure, the graphics are technically better, but they look unimaginative and bland. The old characters had character!

I know a lot is still WIP and missing, but trying to get an amarr male to look below the age of 50 seemed to be impossible, and there realy is no racial clothing types, just like 5 varieties for all races, realy hope they fix this :/

• 2 months later...

It's finally online, and I have to say I have mixed views about the new avatars. If I was a new player to the game, I'd probably really love it - the characters look so much more human, it is actually very impressive. But in some cases the changes are extremely drastic - for example, one of my characters has suddenly turned Asian. She looks amazingly realistic, just like anyone you'd meet in China or Japan, but considering I always thought of her as being English, it is a bit jarring. My main has also gone from being a wise elder type person to a fairly typical-looking muscly soldier guy, because that was the only real way I could make him. He certainly looks very different to how the old pureblood Gallente used to look. There isn't a brilliant variety of hair colours either, and very few clothes - I was hoping for a larger variety in that department, to be honest.

All in all though, it's not too bad. I quite like it. And no doubt they'll be expanding the number of options even more when Incarna comes out.

Well I had a female Intaki so I'm lovin' this(they dont look like hippies anymore!) and seem to have gotten the sweet end of the facial features stick(cough Khanid M0ale cough)

Frankly I think this new Carbon system is a technological wonder, admitedly it doesnt have to render characters in any sort of hectic game context, but if Need For Speed : Hot Pursuit set a new standard for vehicle detail, this sets a new industry standard for facial excellence.

I'm still pending a petition after I accidently selected a portait I'd meant for the cutting room floor, but other than that, I'm very happy.

My only regret is that some of the most iconic faces in EVE have had to be changed, BackDoor Bandit just looks lie Snake from MSG now, he used to have so much more... character.