3DS max 2010 question

BBoyBreezy

OK hey all so i have a quiet simple question. First of all unfortunately I'm a complete noob at 3d modeling, but i seem to be getting the hang of it rather quickly, considering I'm using 3DS max 2010 and it's confusing as he11....anyways

My task at hand seems rather simple, yet I haven't the slightest clue on how to go about accomplishing it. I'm trying to take (I'll refer to them as "pieces") from one weapon, and add them ONTO another. Example: taking the stock off the Chinese assault rifle and replacing it with the stock off the plain assault rifle. In reality though, I'm actually trying to work with weapons that people have created already, and am basically trying to "Lego" assemble a seriously crazy looking gun together. I've tried to create a few prototypes but none have actually showed up in-game. Piecing together a weapon seems easy, i just don't know how to go about saving it in some sort of right format, while keeping the texture paths to all the pieces right. ANY HELP would more than likely propel my attempts way forward and would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. forgot to mention, I'm obviously working with Fallout 3, and i have the MaxTools .nif plug in thing for 3DS max (test ver. i guess) so i could open .nifs with it.

outside of regular mesh export, weapons nifs are have special requirements so the actually work correctly. namely naming conventions to nodes and mesh objects so animations will play, and a special extra data block that allows the game to link the weapon to the actor.

have a material with a texture in the diffuse slot applied to the mesh, collision set up, all nodes named appropriately etc.

export

open nif in nifskope.

change the scene root ninode into a BSFadeNode

add a nistringextradata node, name: "Prn" and String Data: "Weapon"

remove all shader flags from all mesh objects except sf_empty and sf_unknown_31, add any other shaders where appropriate

you might also need to enable one of the tick boxes in the BSX flag to get collision to act right

spells>batch>update all Tspace

save

Sounds interesting, luckily I've been doing a lot of reading so I'm familiar with the terminology. However I've actually got some results using NifSkope alone, but I'll give this technique a try because I don't think NifSkope imports collision data with the pieces I'm snagging. Thanks for the reply.

ive been having a similar problem with a custom (lego'd) gun ive been making for newvegas, i havent done what you have described here but il give it a shot

also regarding the nodes, to make my gun i imported two guns and im using the sighting node from the service rifle and the projectile node and hitbox from the gauss rifle, this wouldnt cause a problem would it? (ive got it looking pretty in nifscope but i still get a big <!> in the GECK)

mind you im using blender

soooooooooo.....it turned out i was able to completely lego a gun together all with Nifscope after all, so this one's @ Gwyvern:

i too was disappointed when i got the big <!> inside the game so here's what I did: make sure all the weapons your using are in their appropriate respective folders inside your fallout's directory, piece your gun together by right clicking on the "block" you want to copy of a gun -> copy BRANCH followed by highliting your topmost block on the gun your making ->paste branch ->edit -> give it an original name n mess with the x,y,z to align your piece (repeat for more pieces). Now, to get it to WORK, lol :

on the top of your Nifskope window you should see a button called "spells" and under that "sanitize" and within THAT, 5 options. Once your gun is finished being pieced together, run through ALL 5 options under sanitize ( adjust link arrays, adjust texture sources, etc.) I personally do each one twice. That's how i got my weapon to work, so I would assume yours will too.

P.S. i use this method for FO3 not new vegas, but I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for both titles.

• 2 months later...
glad i noticed this subforum way down here, this worked for me (in reference) i pretty much just created the base outer piece of a gun and used its nif shape data to paste over the silencers base shape data (NiTriStripData?) think thats what it was. block>copy then block>paste over :P noice this was easier than i was making it out to be... lol as always. anyway it shows up in the geck so i take it that it will work in game.