Bethesda's first-ever E3 conference!

Zaldir

In response to post #22523104. #22523319, #22528234, #22528984, #22532274, #22535084, #22547924 are all replies on the same post.

I know Morrowind had open cities but Morrowind only had maybe three big cities? The rest were either one mushroom tree houses or the size of Rorikstead. Even Vivec was indoor cells, there's not much on the outside of the canton's. If I had to chose between a Capital city that was closed but had a 200 plus unique NPCs versus open but 100, I would take closed every time, however I don't know much about technical possibility's so if we can have both than that's best.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #22527459. #22528159, #22536634 are all replies on the same post.

Just thankful I have the rig I do, I'm one of the lucky few that can use the 4k textures, high end ENBs, all the script mods I want, and with roughly 250+ mods going at once I can still manage running it with over 60 FPS, and yet it all still feels lacking, like we could do more, if the engine was better for it.

On the plus side, it has better graphics than anything I've seen come out on Xbox One or PS4, so it has brought me to the realization that PC's are and will forever rule over the consoles, and the console wars are the most pointless waste of time ever :P

In response to post #22523104. #22523319, #22528234, #22528984, #22532274, #22535084, #22547924, #22555829 are all replies on the same post.

It still comes down to technology. Morrowind has mods that makes cities as crowded or even moreso than JK's Cities. The engine is certainly capable of handling it, the hardware wasn't.

Different engine of course, but CD Projekt said there's hundreds of unique NPCs in their cities. Their cities are also open world, and are probably several of Skyrim's cities. They explained this was something impossible on the last generation of consoles. They couldn't even come close to achieving it. This was one of the big reasons of why they went next-gen exclusive.

It comes down to if they want to do it, but I honestly think they will. Todd Howard said that the processing more mostly drives graphics, but it's the RAM that is crucial for their games. They want as much stored in the memory as possible. There's not much benefit not doing it. Creating a different world space versus adding something to an existing one takes more time as Arthmoor said. You already have a foundation with an open city, with a closed city you have to remake one.

Watch this
and start around 18:05. It's the interview with Todd Howard and it talks about how and why the game is next-gen exclusive. After that, it talks about the RAM and such. Edited by Camonna Tong

If it's Fallout 4 they're announcing I just hope it isn't accompanied with video where grass magically appears only in radius of 5 steps in front of camera along with blatant lies how they not reused the engine from Morrowind...again.

You can modify the grass distance from the graphics panel before launching Skyrim on the PC. I personally love to run on Ultra though I understand its a different experience on the consoles since they can only do culling at a certain range due to the graphic card limitations. The next installment will be intended for PS4 and XBOX-ONE so we'll not have to worry about any close culling or LOD issues. You'll still have trees that have several LOD stages but at the least it won't be as noticeable with the new graphic hardware the consoles will have.