Bethesda's first-ever E3 conference!

Zaldir

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #22626059. #22628034, #22636819, #22645084, #22660454, #22668584, #22669169, #22677289, #22683744, #22696394, #22703729, #22706194, #22707434 are all replies on the same post.

@Cammona-Tong

It took four years between Morrowind and Oblivion because BGS didn't have Fallout as a franchise under their belt until around the time of Oblivion's release. At that time, BGS was exclusively in charge of TES. Between Oblivion and FO3 was abother ~3 year wait, and between FO3 and Skyrim was another 3 years, a bit less so actually. With that in mind it's a certainty that BGS is working on FO4, considering they've all but admitted to it in recent times, and the many fake "FO4 Reveals" we've had in the last year and a half. I was expecting a PAX East reveal, but since Beth is getting their own spit at e3, there's no doubt that we'll get the reveal then. Note, Bethesda as a publisher works on many games, but BGS is strictly involved in the TES and FO series. Dishonored 2 and even a new IP could very well be on its way as well, but it won't be BGS developing them.

@Natterforme: This is hard to predict.
The creation engine still has large parts of gamebryo in it, i.e. the whole world representation, data formats and so on.
Now this stuff (esp. data formats) is the primary hurdle in porting to 64bit. BGS obviously owns the code of that engine but do they have the people and knowledge to port it themselves?

One of the gamebryo engines said in an interview last November that they were working on a 64bit variant of gamebryo but that hasn't been released yet.
Will it be done in time? Will it even be possible to integrate that with BGS own code?
Or are they involved somehow (considering they are probably the biggest customer)?

Just in case anyone forgot, xbox360 and ps3 have 64 bits processors. Not x86_64 but still, they had to solve problems like data sizes for those already.
Besides, they have to make a x86-64 version for the new consoles, so why it wouldn't be 64 bits on pc too?

> Just in case anyone forgot, xbox360 and ps3 have 64 bits processors. Not x86_64 but still,
> they had to solve problems like data sizes for those already.

No they didn't, the ran 32-bit binaries on those the same way you can run 32-bit programs on your x86_64 PC.
And It's very likely the new consoles can also run 32-bit games.

Ehrm... NO. I know for a fact that ps3 binaries are all 64 bits. Although they used a bizarre eabi where the size of pointers were 32 bits, but size of long was 64 bits. iirc. (although that was a compiler thing, pointers were still 64 bits in the cpu side). kernel itself used 64 bits pointers, but it reduced all pointers coming from user mode to 32 bits before operating on those.

For new consoles to run 32 binaries, they would need an api translation layer. In PC, thats provided by those wow64*.dll at system32 (one of them is responsable of cpu mode switch, but there is also ones that translates the parameters for nt sys calls from 32 to 64 bits). Although ms could have easily port that, I doubt Sony would bother with making one. On PC, the only reason why that exists is for compatibility. Consoles don't need that, so I doubt they wasted time and resources on something unnecessary. Edited by vagonumero12

NO MATTER WHAT ISLAND OR LAND BASE TIME PERIOD IF IT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE PIJICH MONKS AND THE DISAPPEARANCE OF THE DWEMER. NOT LIKELY WOULD I PURCHASE IT. SPELLING SUCKS. BUT YOU DO GET THE IDEA. NOW ALONG WITH THAT ARE THE SNOW ELVES INVOLVED WITH THE DWEMER AS SLAVES ... THAT WOULD ALSO BE AN INTERESTING THREAD. OR A COMBINATION OF ALL ...FINDING PORTALS TO EACH TIME PERIOD SCANNING THE ENTIRE PERIOD OF THE WORLD COLLECTIVELY. BUT,, I DO MISS USING THE WATER FEATURE OF SWIMMING IN SKYRIM AND THE ARGONIAN ABILITY TO SWIM UNDER WATER WITH SPELLS OR POTIONS. DID THEY EVERY FIX THIS IN THE ONLINE GAME??? BLACKMARSH SHOULD BE A COMPLETE SERIES OF UNDERWATER TUNNELS AND CITIES, BUT FROM WHAT I VE SEEN IN CHAT ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE. WELL EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD MARDY GRAS AND WINTER CARNIVAL, US/CANADA RESPECTIVELY.