Will Bethesda release a stand alone version ?

covari

@Marthos: I guess that was back in the days of Half Life 2's launch. I have no idea how Steam could break your operating system, especially considering my understanding of how it works, but I can tell you my best guess at why Steamworks was picked instead of no DRM or GfWL: it's for DLC distribution. Games for Windows Live was, by all accords, rubbish at that, and the only alternative currently is Steam. The small fact that GfWL is definitely withering on the vine also helps in this decision.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Marthos: I guess that was back in the days of Half Life 2's launch. I have no idea how Steam could break your operating system, especially considering my understanding of how it works, but I can tell you my best guess at why Steamworks was picked instead of no DRM or GfWL: it's for DLC distribution. Games for Windows Live was, by all accords, rubbish at that, and the only alternative currently is Steam. The small fact that GfWL is definitely withering on the vine also helps in this decision.

I wish it had been that far back, I might of been able to forgive them in that length of time, it was 2 months ago.

The download / install tried to overwrite directx and visual basic files and corrupted the lot and then chucked game files all over my second drive, gigs of them and only half the files that should have gone in the Steamapps folder were there, it was easier to start afresh than to clean that mess up.

How do know the fault wasn't at my end ? I formatted, reinstalled Win 7/64, whacked all the drivers in and reinstalled Steam and downloaded the game again, exactly the same thing happened.

And after all that they told me to basically shutup or get banned.

If Beth had done two separate versions, one for Steam and one for retail, the DLC for the retail version could have been up for download on their website, I think they got the download page on their site up and running again recently anway.

Okay let's start with a few things.

A.) You do not nees AT All to download any steam game if you can get a boxed copy. The only Internet activity that steam has to do, is check.that it is a legitimately bought game. Only 1 time it has to do that. The rest of the time you can always play it in offline mode.

B.) The only information you are required to submit to steam are basic contact information and username information. You do not have to submit credit card, or any payment method to steam unless you need to, and you also don't have to submit any system or application info to steam. EVER. All of that is optional information.

C.) Vale is a good company and only looking to make gaming more streamlined by offering it in a well orchestrated package. If you don't like steam do not buy games that useit it's that simple. Please do not bag on a gaming platform that revolutionized and made the pc gaming platform come out of it's rampant tailspin, just because you have to enter in information info and connect to the Internet once to register the game. It's not fair to the devs who try to satisfy your wants.

Hilarious. People are actually defending DRM. Yeah! Go for it. :wallbash:

The only people implementing DRM in their software are the same brainwashed idiots who were suckered into thinking Gamebryo is a great product. I suspect the execs responsible will probably believe just about anything given enough razzle dazzle.

It's a darn good thing those idiots didn't actually code and design this game or nobody would bother playing it.

Oh wow seriously people are still complaining about Steam?

I could understand maybe 5 years ago when it was a piece of crap but right now it is THE best gaming community tool ever created by mankind. It far surpasses xbox live and PSN and is 100% free.

You are not "subscribing" to anything. You are creating a account and letting it download updates and patches automatically for you.

Yeah it collects information about what games you play and what your system is but so what? It collects like 1/4th of the information xbox live or PSN do.

Steam is awesome. There is no reason to be having such a cry over it.

Takes 5 seconds to download and 2 minutes to install then maybe 20 minutes to update the Steam client, another minute to verify New vegas and update it and then guess what? You never have to go online with Steam EVER AGAIN unless you want to.

Some people just love to cry like little babies who don't get their way I guess