Editing textures in GIMP by adding layers doesn't work.

Kutt

I added tattoos onto a female body texture that I added as layers from other photos.

I cut these tattoos out of this photo and tried adding them onto the dds texture file here.

After I was done, I exported the xcf file with the layer tattoos added back into a DDS file.

When I try to apply the texture in nifskope the body just shows up blank with no texture.

And after I re-load the that same file, the tattoos are gone.

The following images portray what I am trying to accomplish. The first photo is simulated and was made by me using GIMP.

Please help me out! What am I doing wrong?

http://thumbnails110.imagebam.com/38951/7ffbb9389507782.jpg http://thumbnails109.imagebam.com/38951/abd8ec389507786.jpg http://thumbnails111.imagebam.com/38951/dab51e389507787.jpg

Edited by Kutt

Are you flattening the project into a single layer before exporting as DDS? If not, that might be why. My experience has shown that if you do not flatten all visible parts the DDS usually takes on the bottom layer only.

How do I flatten all of the layers into one? Please walk me through this.

GIMP is frustratingly complex and confusing.

Highlight the top visible layer.

Go to Layer menu

Select Merge Down

Repeat till all visible layers are in one.

Or

Ensure that all desired layers are visible

Go to Image menu

Select Merge Visible Layers...

There is also Flatten Image in the Image menu but it doesn't handle transparency among other things

Even better there is New From Visible in the Layer menu. This option allows your original layers to remain so you can make them invisible and export the single visible combined layer.

One of these methods will work for your needs. I have only ever used the top two. Just learned about the New From Visible when checking up on the differences between merging and flattening.

Highlight the top visible layer.

Go to Layer menu

Select Merge Down

Repeat till all visible layers are in one.

Or

Ensure that all desired layers are visible

Go to Image menu

Select Merge Visible Layers...

There is also Flatten Image in the Image menu but it doesn't handle transparency among other things

Even better there is New From Visible in the Layer menu. This option allows your original layers to remain so you can make them invisible and export the single visible combined layer.

One of these methods will work for your needs. I have only ever used the top two. Just learned about the New From Visible when checking up on the differences between merging and flattening.

Thank you! I did this and it worked!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...