Reason for being in prison?

Lehcar

So if the player character has never ever in their life committed murder, assaulted anyone, stolen anything, or trespassed, why were they in prison at the beginning of the game?

I don't think there is a specific reason for starting in prison, it's just the way that Bethesda made it. I suppose it kind of just let's your imagination ring. You can think up your own back-story, for you character. I always do, such as my character which is now in the Imperial Legion (thanks to the Imperial Legion Faction mod). His back-story is along these lines;

Alenor walked through the dense undergrowth towards Kvatch. His majesty, the count had called him from his farm not 20 miles from the city. As the city came into sight, he noticed commotion at the gate. The guards seemed to be strugling with a small group of Dark Elves. As he grew nearer, Alenor realised he recognized the main Dark Elf, it was his fathers friend, Couna. The soldiers of Kvatch, began to draw their swords as they realised the struggle was about to get out of hand. But before they could, Couna raised his hand high and a flash of light blue magic flew towards them. The soldiers, froze as an icy layer of frost, crawled across them.

"Cut them up my friends" Couna said, as he sliced into the soldier commander.

A shout came from inside the city, as a guard saw what had happened and moments later a huge troop of soldiers came charging down the street. They stopped about ten feet away from the elves. Commander Martius stepped forward, sword drawn.

"You have assaulted some of my men gentlemen. You slaughtered them, and now you must pay. But, as a loyal supporter of the Emperor I have no choice but to offer you the chance to surreneder, as his new law commands. So. how many of you will surrender. You know if you do not my men will cut you down without thought".

I stood behind the Elves the whole time, listening to and watching what was happening.

Couna turned to his companions. "You have done well with me. We have attempted to cut out the filth of the Septim Reign, but failed. So, now I give you one choice. You can surrender to these fools and be tried for treason. You will leave us as friends, and we will honour your choice. Or you can, stay here with me and fight to the death against these scum.

Around half of the Elves dropped their weapons and stood beside those who were armed.

"All who are surrendering, walk to the back of the line beside that farmer."

They walked and stood beside me. The soldiers commander gave the order to advance, and the Kvatch troops advanced onto them carving them up as quickly as they could. Then, marched towards those who surrendered. One of the soldiers grabbed Alenor and threw him to his knees.

"Wait...! Im not one of them! Im a simple farmer!"

"Silence you scum!" The soldier shoutedin Alenor's face, spittle flying everywhere. He drew back his foot, and struck Alenor right in the temple, knocking him un-consious.

The next thing Alenor saw, was the inside of a small cell. With nothing in it but a bed-roll, a stool and a table with a bowl and pitcher on it. Chains hung from the room, and a small barred window was behind him. He walked up the two stairs towards the cell door, and inspected it. There was no way he could break the lock, it was too strong, and the metal bars were too thick to bend. He heard a scuffle from across the hall, and saw a dark elf come to the cell door at the other side of the corridor.

"Oh look what we have here! An Imperial in the Imperial Prison..." The dark elves voice droned out of his head as he heard a door opening at the top of the corridor. "Do you hear that? They're coming for you! You!" The Elves cackle was drowned out as three heavily armed soldiers, and a richly dressed man came into his cell. It was then he realised the old man was the Emperor Uriel Septim. He was easily recognized by the huge diamond-shaped amulet hung around his throat.

And that's where the story began for Alenor. ;)

A while back I posted a character backstory in the "who are you?" Thread. In short, my character was a pirate washed ashoreand arrested for crimes on the high seas. Temporary amnesia as a result of trauma from a boat wreck accounted for his load of questions at the beginning of the game.

• 3 months later...

So if the player character has never ever in their life committed murder, assaulted anyone, stolen anything, or trespassed, why were they in prison at the beginning of the game?

I don't think there is a specific reason for starting in prison, it's just the way that Bethesda made it. I suppose it kind of just let's your imagination ring. You can think up your own back-story, for you character. I always do, such as my character which is now in the Imperial Legion (thanks to the Imperial Legion Faction mod). His back-story is along these lines;

Alenor walked through the dense undergrowth towards Kvatch. His majesty, the count had called him from his farm not 20 miles from the city. As the city came into sight, he noticed commotion at the gate. The guards seemed to be strugling with a small group of Dark Elves. As he grew nearer, Alenor realised he recognized the main Dark Elf, it was his fathers friend, Couna. The soldiers of Kvatch, began to draw their swords as they realised the struggle was about to get out of hand. But before they could, Couna raised his hand high and a flash of light blue magic flew towards them. The soldiers, froze as an icy layer of frost, crawled across them.

"Cut them up my friends" Couna said, as he sliced into the soldier commander.

A shout came from inside the city, as a guard saw what had happened and moments later a huge troop of soldiers came charging down the street. They stopped about ten feet away from the elves. Commander Martius stepped forward, sword drawn.

"You have assaulted some of my men gentlemen. You slaughtered them, and now you must pay. But, as a loyal supporter of the Emperor I have no choice but to offer you the chance to surreneder, as his new law commands. So. how many of you will surrender. You know if you do not my men will cut you down without thought".

I stood behind the Elves the whole time, listening to and watching what was happening.

Couna turned to his companions. "You have done well with me. We have attempted to cut out the filth of the Septim Reign, but failed. So, now I give you one choice. You can surrender to these fools and be tried for treason. You will leave us as friends, and we will honour your choice. Or you can, stay here with me and fight to the death against these scum.

Around half of the Elves dropped their weapons and stood beside those who were armed.

"All who are surrendering, walk to the back of the line beside that farmer."

They walked and stood beside me. The soldiers commander gave the order to advance, and the Kvatch troops advanced onto them carving them up as quickly as they could. Then, marched towards those who surrendered. One of the soldiers grabbed Alenor and threw him to his knees.

"Wait...! Im not one of them! Im a simple farmer!"

"Silence you scum!" The soldier shoutedin Alenor's face, spittle flying everywhere. He drew back his foot, and struck Alenor right in the temple, knocking him un-consious.

The next thing Alenor saw, was the inside of a small cell. With nothing in it but a bed-roll, a stool and a table with a bowl and pitcher on it. Chains hung from the room, and a small barred window was behind him. He walked up the two stairs towards the cell door, and inspected it. There was no way he could break the lock, it was too strong, and the metal bars were too thick to bend. He heard a scuffle from across the hall, and saw a dark elf come to the cell door at the other side of the corridor.

"Oh look what we have here! An Imperial in the Imperial Prison..." The dark elves voice droned out of his head as he heard a door opening at the top of the corridor. "Do you hear that? They're coming for you! You!" The Elves cackle was drowned out as three heavily armed soldiers, and a richly dressed man came into his cell. It was then he realised the old man was the Emperor Uriel Septim. He was easily recognized by the huge diamond-shaped amulet hung around his throat.

And that's where the story began for Alenor. ;)

that was pretty good you should think about writing your own story in the elder scrolls i would read it

Edited by autumnashes32

What do you mean?

What WON'T they throw you in prison for?

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM! I SAW YOU PICK UP THAT CRUMPLED PIECE OF PAPER, YOU'RE COMING WITH ME

YOU HAVE MY EAR, CITIZEN. GIVE IT BACK AND SERVE YOUR SENTENCE.

Edited by whalecakes