Multipart upload functionality for large file authors

Dark0ne

You can have a 6,000 MB archive and still be able to upload it.

You say that you have a 700 MB ESM. If you use 7-Zip and compress it in .7z format using the Ultra settings, how large is the 7z?

Once you tell me how large the 7z file is, I can tell you exactly how many 290 MB parts you will have to upload.

The article I linked you to explains the step-by-step instructions for creating a multi-part archive. However, with Dark0ne's new upload feature, the last portion of my article is invalidated. Once you create the .001, .002 and .003 split files, you can upload them directly rather than wrapping them inside standalone zip files.

The UESP Wiki I uploaded is over 1.6 GB in size when extracted and about 750 MB compressed. Since 750 MB is over the 300 MB Nexus limit, I re-zipped the 1.6 GB and told it to not create any files over 190 MB...which created 2 190 MB files and a left-over 150 MB file.

LHammonds

Update:

I've uploaded the present public MERP Middleearth.esm in two parts just like you've done/instructed, it took a very long time!

I also have downloaded the Wiki and my esm and have the same format for both except of course you have three parts.

What I was initially concerned about and now still am is the way to recombine them, it's certainly not automatic for me and presently I have your 3 part Wiki as well as my 2 part esm sitting on my desktop.

The 'Windows cannot open this file' message comes up, am I 7z illiterate? Stating the obvious: this file has to be 'fool-proof' for the masses, any further insight/help would be greatly appreciated.

...and in the darkness bind them. ~sorry I couldn't resist :)

What I was initially concerned about and now still am is the way to recombine them, it's certainly not automatic for me and presently I have your 3 part Wiki as well as my 2 part esm sitting on my desktop.

The 'Windows cannot open this file' message comes up, am I 7z illiterate?

You don't double-click the .001 file. You right-click on it and from the 7-Zip menu, select "Extract to..." or "Extract files" or "Extract here" or "Open Archive"

If you put all the archive files into their own directory and select "Extract here" for the .001 file, it will extract all the files in .001 and then look for the exact same filename but with a .002 extension and then process all the files in it....and so on.

With 7-Zip, you can do it several different ways and it just depends on how you like to operate. I personally use the "Extract to ..." option so it creates a nice sub-folder to hold all the extracted files but that's just me. Some people like to open the archive and navigate the 7-Zip Manager program. Those old dogs like myself that are quite familiar and comfortable at a command prompt (DOS), you could even use the 7za.exe command-line version to extract the files (just flexin my nerd knowledge, please don't direct people to use the command line if you don't have to...hehehe)

LHammonds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am having issues with the second part of my 2 part download. I am getting a site error that says "a file with that name already exists on the site". I have tried renaming the file, renaming the text name of the upload and no joy. I did have a service interruption while uploading the second file. Am I going to have to delete the first one and redo both from scratch now?

started from scratch and got them up but when you download them, they don't correctly combine back into a DAZIP. I am just going to do it the old way and put two files up for download.

Edited by XTR3M368