Multipart upload functionality for large file authors

Dark0ne

You can change the title of the file you've uploaded just like the way you change the title/description of any file; just click the title of the file when managing your files. Get what I'm saying at all? Hard to explain :X

Nope. I know full-well what you are saying. All the other files listed have their titles as clickable hyperlinks. The multi-file I uploaded does not have a clickable title. The only hyperlinks are those that download the file (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3). I can take a screenshot if necessary.

EDIT: Have a look

LHammonds

When I go here and click on the "2010-11-08 UESPWiki 1" link (or click on "Edit file", below "Delete file") a pop-up comes up that lets me edit the filename as usual. I'll edit it now just to make sure...

Edit: just added "over 9000" to the end of the file name!

DoH! I feel stupid. I thought I was looking at the files in "edit" mode and was just looking at them in "view only" mode.

EDIT: hahaha...the name of the file when you download looks like this:

2010-11-08 UESPWiki 1-27290-2010-11-08.7z.001

Guess I need to remove the version from the file descriptor since it is already in the title.

EDIT #2: Whoops. Can't edit version once you set it. Looks like the title is gonna be edited then.

EDIT #3: Hmmm...Name of the actual file seems to be static based on initial upload. I guess that 1st upload had better be done the way you like it.

2010-11-08 UESPWiki 1-27290-2010-11-08.7z.001

So, if you want to utilize all the features (fields) and you want the file to not repeat data, the name and file version are static fields that will not change and is identical for all parts attached to it. The only wiggle room is the description which can be changed after-the-fact and does not impact the naming of the archive.

I should have named the upload as follows initially:

Name: UESPWiki

File Version: 2010.11.08

Description: whatever

Which would yield an end-result filename such as:

UESPWiki-27290-2010.11.08.7z.001

UESPWiki-27290-2010.11.08.7z.002

UESPWiki-27290-2010.11.08.7z.003

Yes, I know, I'm thick headed but I have to drudge through these things and type out a tutorial to avoid the problems I create for myself later. hehehe.

Thank you for this new feature!

I will definitely use this for a future version of Vikings. (Though, going above 300Mb will take some time... Unless I find some more great resources, and voice acting though^^)

Is this an issue that couldn't be remedies by simply raising the max file size allowed by "Trusted" unloaders?

This addition does seem quite simple to use but im sure that there is better solutions then this that would be less of an inconvenience to the authors and Nexus.

Would like to add that I do not understand the point of having a file with a name longer then 18 characteristics.

Edited by Paco420

Well, only premium members can download with a "resume" option if their connection gets broken. Everyone else would have to start all over from scratch. Kinda painful if downloading a 1 gig file and "almost" making it before the connection died. Some members using satellite only have a certain amount of bandwidth they can use before being cut off or reduced to a speed reminiscent of the early 1990's. There are other factors as well but the current limit is actually quite high.

One of the other major sites (Planet Elder Scrolls) only allows 25 MB files by default. I keep a List of Online Hosting Sites for mods and images for members to utilize (never keep all your eggs in one basket...even though the Nexus is a very nice basket)

LHammonds

Edit: Excuse my blindness, I have looked at the file edit section of my mod which gives the information that negates my original question. Apologies!

Thank you Dark0ne & Co., this single file naming convention feature may just save my sanity!

Edited by NMC

Thank you for this new functionality, it will come in quite handy for the next (and rather large) manual install of MERP.

I have a couple of questions:

- are there any plans on increasing the singular file size? (our ESM for our manual version is huge and perpetually growing)

- will full installers of huge mods/TCs that exceed the max size ever be accommodated?

(our manual and installer versions for our next release, is scheduled for the Xmas season)

These issues are paramount regarding the future plans of our projects accessibility, ideally it would be nice if both versions of MERP were wholly available from TES Nexus.

MERP members Aoikani and MentalElf are working on fixing things with a new tool that's under development, our big esm still wont likely comply using 7z, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again :)