For those of you with modding ambitions:

Peregrine

You may have the skills, and you may want to, but lets be honest: do you really think you'd manage it? No. Why? Because you'd lose interest long before you finish it, and chances are you don't have all the skills you'd need anyway. Unless you can do interiors, exteriors, scripting, AI, modeling, retexturing, etc, etc... you might be great at some of them, and you might have a basic knowledge of the rest, but you'd need to be good at them to actually be able to do it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may have the skills, and you may want to, but lets be honest: do you really think you'd manage it? No. Why? Because you'd lose interest long before you finish it, and chances are you don't have all the skills you'd need anyway. Unless you can do interiors, exteriors, scripting, AI, modeling, retexturing, etc, etc... you might be great at some of them, and you might have a basic knowledge of the rest, but you'd need to be good at them to actually be able to do it.

I don't believe it is a matter of skills... But only a matter of knowledge....

Let's check the CS "region fuction" for example.... It has almost everything you need to build a basic world as large as tamriel in a week...... The hard work comes with the interiors.... but if you know exacly where to find your items then.... it's only a matter of time...

That's true too... :)

After a few tests though I've discovered that if the heightmap is correct and the land is smooth and wellbalanced the region generator error amount can be reduced to 8% [+/-2].... So... if you split the land in 100 cells per region at a time then you can easilly find those few errors and fix them...

I think we are complete out off the current topic though lol.... :blush:

• 2 months later...

Well I've had Oblivion for about.......4 days on the pc na dI'm already hooked on mods, I was thinking of starting a simple project, i.e. putting a flame effect on a weapon, but the problem is I have no experience at all with modding.

I understand that I would need Blender and Nifskope, as well as the CS. Is there anything else I need?

And another thing, I can't find any tutorials on modding for beginners.....it's such a pain lol.

Anyways all I wanted to say was would anyone know where I could get hold of the textures/ meshes for designing my own sword and applying the flame effect.

Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index...tion_Set_Primer

thats a good tutorial, it covers interiors, exteriors, and some quest stuff, im a beginner and since i have to wait a week or two before i can even install oblivion (my RAM is messed up) im just familiarizing myself with different modding techniques

this thread is very helpful because now im not going to waste my time trying to make impossible mods when i have almost no experience whatsoever, thank you peregrine

This is ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT ADVICE from Peregrine and I cannot understand why anyone could not understand it .. it is stated so plainly and simply and yet with so much insight. It should indeed be a pinned thread.

I am so moved by it that I have a rather odd request for you, Peregrine. May I possibly paraphrase it a bit where appropriate and make it into a book scroll for my present house mod I am building for a house mod contest at TESFU forum?

I have included many of my elder vaults and some TES fan union friends in the mod and I would like to add this sage advice to my library .. if you are willing. I would refer to you as an Imperial soldier giving campaign advice (or really any character type you wish .. telvanni wizard, hlaalu merchant, etc.?)

I mention paraphrase to make it sound more pertinent to being read in a Morrowind scroll (on Solstheim Isle). Maybe change the word "proper English" to 'proper language' .. change word "computer" to 'system' ... change word "mod" to ' project or campaign'.

What say you, Bird from Hell? If you don't like the idea, cool enough. But I really like your advice and believe it is even more univerally sound than mere modding. Can apply to alot of projects.

OMG .. that is most surprising to hear. I've always thought of him as a regular at TES Source and TES Nexus. Well, I will have to try to find his email addy then. Or possibly the official forums. Thanks for the info.

• 1 month later...

Great point here, and one that I've taken to heart, definitely. I rarely use the forums (like 3 or 4 posts, lol?) but I do a lot of personal CS work to enhance my game.

Recently, I've decided to begin a large project, just to see how I can do if nothing else, that adds a massive cave system under Cyrodiil. Looking at this, hmm, well, my problem are...

1. I suck at quest flagging. Really. You don't get how bad I am at it. I'm not kidding. :wallbash:

2. My visions are large, but my abilities...not so much. I need a team, which I hope to recruit in the coming days. :thumbsup:

3. I get bored really easily, especially in tedious parts of the CS. Addressed this, though, by immersing myself in this. (Kind of like LSD, but using the powers of mild self-hypnotism and soliloquy rather than drugs...drugs are bad.)

4. I could use a little clarification on parts of the CS that have always just sort of eluded me. :confused:

Still, I've got some real life friends who are helping, and through use of the CS wiki, I hope to overcome the other things. I've planned most of the mod out, just need to build it, and unless someone offers me model and texture services, I'll likely make this out of entirely vanilla content. I'll take it as it comes, and hope for the best. If it falls through? Well, I'll know better next time, eh? :whistling: